(ADDED MEASUREMENTS)Completely Lost....

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Completely Lost....
« Reply #20 on: 22 Sep 2014, 06:59 pm »
The comment that they may not produce deep bass is incorrect.  The LS6 plays into the 20's, but the 6's and 9's are known ("notorious" might be more descriptive) to overload rooms.  Traps, diffusion, professional advice, and lots of time moving things around are what it took to finally get my LS9's right.  Measurement will certainly be the most likely path to good results.

Early B.

« Reply #21 on: 22 Sep 2014, 07:20 pm »
WOW! Thanks everyone for the advice. There is a lot to digest on this thread, in terms of information.

The only thing I have left to do at this point, is measure it would seem. 

You mentioned in your original post that, at one point, you had a professional set up your speakers. Well, didn't this guy perform lots of measurements? If not, what "professional" service did he provide?

Also, can you post pics of your room and setup? That would be helpful. 

srb

« Reply #22 on: 22 Sep 2014, 07:25 pm »
I don't want to detract from this thread too much, but are you saying that this Mic plugs right into the USB port on a Laptop and works with REW? It used to be considerably more complicated than that.
Will any USB Mic now work with REW?

Yes, it plugs directly into a USB port without a separate USB audio interface.  Any USB mic would work with REW, but unless it comes with a calibration file, the accuracy and results would be questionable.

Steve

*Scotty*

« Reply #23 on: 22 Sep 2014, 07:36 pm »
This is the one I purchased to use with REW, it is calibrated and comes with calibration files.
http://cross-spectrum.com/measurement/calibrated_umm6.html
Scotty

kingdeezie

« Reply #24 on: 22 Sep 2014, 07:37 pm »
You mentioned in your original post that, at one point, you had a professional set up your speakers. Well, didn't this guy perform lots of measurements? If not, what "professional" service did he provide?

Also, can you post pics of your room and setup? That would be helpful.

The setup was done more with a mathematical methodology. He had a formula based on my room measurements that he believed gave optimal positioning points for avoiding nulls and peaks for both the speakers and the listening position.

Since this person also recorded and mixed, he had his own references that he used to ascertain the effectiveness of the positioning. By, I am assuming, comparing what he created when mixing, versus what he was hearing in my room.

This person did this for me, more as a favor. I wasn't charged for the room setup. He initially came over to set up my turntable, and stayed to fix my speakers. But, he seemed pretty satisfied with the results, after spending a couple of hours positioning.

kingdeezie

« Reply #25 on: 26 Sep 2014, 07:39 pm »
MAN!

I think its time to just get some headphones, and be done with this mess.

I took some measurements, and I either don't have the microphone setup properly, or my room has the WORST acoustics on the planet. It looks like I have no room treatment at ALL!!  :duh: :duh: :duh:

Where the hell do I go from here?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: (ADDED MEASUREMENTS)Completely Lost....
« Reply #26 on: 26 Sep 2014, 07:42 pm »
First thing is to change the "y" scaling to 5dB. 

kingdeezie

« Reply #27 on: 26 Sep 2014, 07:45 pm »
How do you change it? I only see how to limit the range.

TJHUB

« Reply #28 on: 26 Sep 2014, 07:47 pm »
First thing is to change the "y" scaling to 5dB.

Also adjust the range to 45-105dB

I also sent you a PM.

kingdeezie

« Reply #29 on: 26 Sep 2014, 07:51 pm »
Man,

Measuring was probably the worst thing I could have done!

I feel completely horrible now.

There are 30DB swings in the bass region with a crap ton of treatments! There is a huge null in the high 100s.

Depressing.

kingdeezie

« Reply #30 on: 26 Sep 2014, 07:55 pm »

That is a closeup from 20HZ-300HZ.

Like a six flags ride.

John Casler

« Reply #31 on: 26 Sep 2014, 07:57 pm »
Never rely on measurements to tell you what something sounds like.  They are only guidelines.  Your ears are the most important measuring device.

It is like some of my female personal training clients relying on the scale to tell them when they are "in shape".

Now if your ears are not hearing what you like, THEN the measurements may tell you where to start and specifics of the anomalies.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #32 on: 26 Sep 2014, 08:00 pm »
Man,

Measuring was probably the worst thing I could have done!

I feel completely horrible now.

There are 30DB swings in the bass region with a crap ton of treatments! There is a huge null in the high 100s.

Depressing.
Don't feel bad, most rooms are horrible, and to fix that null at 50Hz would require very deep bass traps.

You should be able to fix that with additional subwoofers.

kingdeezie

« Reply #33 on: 26 Sep 2014, 08:03 pm »
Don't feel bad, most rooms are horrible, and to fix that null at 50Hz would require very deep bass traps.

You should be able to fix that with additional subwoofers.

The Null at 50HZ is the least of my problems.

What about the raging null at 150HZ+ ? That is around the vocal range correct?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #34 on: 26 Sep 2014, 08:10 pm »
Never rely on measurements to tell you what something sounds like.  They are only guidelines.  Your ears are the most important measuring device.

It is like some of my female personal training clients relying on the scale to tell them when they are "in shape".

Now if your ears are not hearing what you like, THEN the measurements may tell you where to start and specifics of the anomalies.
I really hope you're kidding.  This is the WORST advice I've ever seen in the acoustic circle.  It's a FACT that it will sound better.  There is no denying it.  :duh: 

What is your position within audio?  I need to know what to stay away from.  :thumb:

RDavidson

« Reply #35 on: 26 Sep 2014, 08:33 pm »
I really hope you're kidding.  This is the WORST advice I've ever seen in the acoustic circle.  It's a FACT that it will sound better.  There is no denying it.  :duh: 

What is your position within audio?  I need to know what to stay away from.  :thumb:

I think maybe you misinterpreted what JC was trying to say, which was simply to trust your ears first. I can't agree more. A set of measurements can only inform the listener why speakers may or may not sound good. They can't explain what they sound like. Frequency response and other measurements merely explain aspects of a speaker, but not all aspects that affect the sound waves that reach our ears.
I'd never go buy a pair of speakers just because they measured flat. I'd have to hear them first. A flat frequency response is not insurance that they'll sound good. I think this goes without saying.

John Casler

« Reply #36 on: 26 Sep 2014, 08:38 pm »
That is correct, I have heard hundreds of rooms, speakers, and components that were claimed to have incredible measurements, that "sounded" horrible, and others that did not measure as well that sounded "right".

But, I also said that "if" it sounds bad, looking at the measurements can be the right place to begin.

It is the old "obs" versus "subs" discussion, that is as old as AUDIO.

TJHUB

« Reply #37 on: 26 Sep 2014, 09:18 pm »
BIG +1 to the last couple of posts.  :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #38 on: 26 Sep 2014, 09:55 pm »
Good job on the measurements, now you have a baseline.  Next step - move the speakers forward toward you by 2 feet and re-measure. 

Then move you listening seat forward and backwards and remeasure each time.  This will give you a very good idea of the overall behavior of your room and let you work with its acoustics instead of fighting against it.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #39 on: 26 Sep 2014, 10:31 pm »
The Null at 50HZ is the least of my problems.

What about the raging null at 150HZ+ ? That is around the vocal range correct?
150 is not of concern for vocals (maybe baritone).

IMO the 50 Hz null is going to be the hardest to fix.

As Recomended move the speakers and retest, but before you do that take 2 more with the speakers where they are, one in front of the current spot by 2ft, and one behind.

Then again take three measurments with the speakers moved.

This will help you see what can be fixed the easy way (moving speakers and or listening position).