Speaker cables for XLS Encores

aemarcha

Speaker cables for XLS Encores
« on: 27 Nov 2013, 03:05 pm »
Is there any specific recommendation for speaker cables for the XLS Encores?

Danny Richie

Re: Speaker cables for XLS Encores
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2013, 03:50 pm »

My favorite cables that I am still using are from Electra Cable. It's their B-6 cable. I think they are a great value too, but they are a pretty pricey cable for some X-LS Encores. I can buy three X-LS Encore kits for less than those cables cost.

I don't have a lot of experience with lower priced cables. Maybe others will give you some lower cost recommendations.

I sell the wire that you get with the X-LS Encore kit for .75 cents a foot. You could buy wire and braid or twist up a pair of cables yourself if you like to DIY your cables.   

skeeter99

« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2013, 04:20 pm »
I've never personally used it but the Canare 4S11 is a VERY popular cord. You can buy it by the foot or pre-terminated from places like Blue Jeans Cable (which is local to me here in Seattle).

SoCalWJS

« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2013, 04:53 pm »
OOC.....what is the rest of the system? It would give people a better idea of what you might be looking at price-wise and a good match from front end through speaker.

Scott Trebble

« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2013, 05:01 pm »
Along the same line.... how important is t that the cables are the same length?  What if one is twice as long as the other?

Nick77

« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2013, 05:17 pm »
     I sell the wire that you get with the X-LS Encore kit for .75 cents a foot. You could buy wire and braid or twist up a pair of cables yourself if you like to DIY your cables.                                                                       

I did this after Danny mentioned it earlier with very good results, best bang for the buck in my opinion.

aemarcha

« Reply #6 on: 27 Nov 2013, 05:48 pm »
OOC.....what is the rest of the system? It would give people a better idea of what you might be looking at price-wise and a good match from front end through speaker.

PS Audio PS5 pre-amp, Janis subwoofer, Van Alstine 240 MOS-FET.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2013, 05:52 pm »
The wire Danny provides is great stuff although pretty stiff as it's solid core.  A twisted pair or quad of this would be a great and inexpensive way to go.   I'm also a fan of Kimber Kable 4VS and 4TC cables.

It probably won't make much difference to have different length cables but if your stereo or living situation ever changes you may need or want identical length cables at a future date.  I would keep them the same length but I'm picky like that.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 27 Nov 2013, 06:11 pm »
I like the Blue Jeans Cable BJC 10 White.

I use the Electra Tube Connectors on my speakers so I order the cable with one end terminated with a locking banana plug and the other end unterminated for the tube connector.  A 10ft pair like this costs $50 plus shipping. The way the unterminated end of the 10 gauge cable comes trimmed fits perfectly into the tube connector. If you cut the wire flush you will have a devil of a time getting it into the tube connector.

Buying the wire by the foot from Danny then braiding and terminating your own cables would be another good route Now that I know about this option and how reasonable the cost is I'm going to make the cables for the N3's I'm building.

Mike

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
« Reply #9 on: 27 Nov 2013, 08:53 pm »
While the BJC 10 is a GREAT value, you really might not need a 10 freaking gauge cable...  the BJC 12 would be fine as well

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 27 Nov 2013, 10:02 pm »
True, but I wanted to see what the 10ga was like and they were only $10 more for the pair.

Mike
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2013, 11:02 pm by mlundy57 »

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
« Reply #11 on: 27 Nov 2013, 10:08 pm »
True, but I wanted to see what the 10ga was like and they were only $10 for the pair.

Mike

I have a pair, they are nice.

Captainhemo

« Reply #12 on: 26 Aug 2014, 01:17 am »
I know it's an old thread  guys but figured it was related.  I  just  braided up a pair of 4 conductor cables using  the wire Danny sells.  They are terminated with  tube connectors on one end and  the  cheap Nakamichi  bananna's on the other for now until I pick up something else

Now  it's time to send some tunes through them  :thumb:

Edit:  I have been using the  KnuKonceptz  UltraFlex 10 ga cable for years.
http://www.knukonceptz.com/home-theater/speaker-wire/kord-speaker-wire/sp/kord-ultra-flex-10-gauge-speaker-wire/

Withthe newly created cables first  thing I'm  really notcing are an improvent in vocal clarity and better tone throughout the music..

-jay
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2014, 02:56 am by Captainhemo »