mcgsxr enters the HD world

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: mcgsxr enters the HD world
« Reply #40 on: 24 Jan 2010, 06:46 pm »
The Pioneer should be able to adjust accordingly Mark, no worries. If it's got the capability, then it's "got the capability", if you know what I mean.

The coil of composite is your only option. Well....the only option for a sane man. But yea, that's about all you can do at this point. I've learned my lesson as you have....the next project will have a truckload of conduit involved to accommodate such unexpected matters.  :duh:

Bob

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #41 on: 24 Jan 2010, 07:00 pm »
Mark you might be able to manually adjust the volume levels & distance from listener on each speaker also. A Rat Shack sound meter used in your favorite listening position should get helpful also in dialing in the volume level of each speaker. If it's all done automatically tho, them I guess it's in the hands of the gods. 8)

Cheers,
Robin

mcgsxr

« Reply #42 on: 24 Jan 2010, 07:04 pm »
Thanks Bob, I figured the surround capabilities of receivers to compute such matters had come a long way since I played with surround first in 1994, and last in 2002...  The unit does an auto setup, and then does still allow for manual override of what it computes - that will come in handy when the real sub arrives... :icon_twisted:

I am not offended by the coil of composite cable behind the unit, in fact, I would likely be more offended to have to run such an antiquated cable in-wall!

Since I have to run a long cable for the mic, it is OK to short term run the composite across the floor too - I get to be my own roadie!

I will advise my wife that it is a huge compromise, and tough to work around, but I am willing to do it for her etc - no need to let her know it is easy, or simple - I get no credit that way!    :lol:

mcgsxr

« Reply #43 on: 28 Jan 2010, 02:12 am »
I have decided that the cute 8 inch M&K will not cut it for this room anymore.

I am a confirmed basshead, and in the past (running 2.1 with CRT display) I did not have any surround sound, or a large enough screen to want to watch movies.

Since buying and installing the gear in this thread, I have found myself in this room more often, watching movies more often.

I like the M&K sub, and the quality of the bass is good.  But an 8 inch sealed woofer in a room 11x15 and open into my 20x11 kitchen is overworked too quickly.

I have sold off my FR125S speakers, and WR125ST based KIT41 speakers, to free up some cash to complete a project started in 2001.  My ported HT sub.

12 inch Nakamichi driver (cast basket, nice piece), 3.5 foot box ported to 23Hz, 300w BASH amp.  It is constructed of well braced 3/4 mdf, but has always looked like the dog's breakfast...

I will finish it right - the shape of it was designed from day 1 to be an end table.  I will wrap the entire thing with black grill cloth (vague homage to Vandersteen I guess), and have ordered up a big piece of granite to be the top.

Pics in the coming weeks, as the project (finally!) comes to a close.

I have used it before with great success aurally (I use to wrap it with a blanket to avoid having to look at it, even in a darkened room!), and it really punches HT bass well - slow for music, but I don't listen in this room.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #44 on: 28 Jan 2010, 03:34 am »
Welcome to manhood Mark. You're now one of us.  8)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #45 on: 28 Jan 2010, 08:12 am »
mcgsxr ...
Pics in the coming weeks, as the project (finally!) comes to a close.

............. 8)

mcgsxr

« Reply #46 on: 31 Jan 2010, 05:58 pm »
It's gonna be good, but there will be a delay.

Got all the grill cloth in place yesterday, and mounted the amp.  Tested, and the amp has died.   :scratch:  For the record that is 2 amps in 3 weeks at my place!

So, the cosmetics will be finished in 7 days, but unless I can find an affordable plate amp, or bridgeable power amp that can push 4ohms, this project is on hold... :cry:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #47 on: 1 Feb 2010, 12:01 am »
PartsExpress plate amps, and "Pro" amps are pretty reasonable.
Also check places like "Musiciansfriend.com" for cheap pro amps. I bought an 800 watt bridgeable amp from them for $130. Nice amp, but they don't sell it anymore. I wouldn't use it for main channel stuff, but great for the lower octave drivers.

Bob

mcgsxr

« Reply #48 on: 4 Feb 2010, 06:55 pm »
Some progress made.

Sub wrapped with grill cloth.  Old Pro Altec mono amp sourced and tried.  It pushes 75-95w to 4ohm, and sounds OK, but does not have the punch I need for HT.  I will use the Altec in my basement system, pushing my 2 OB 12's.

I am still hunting for the right amp for this sub- I will remote locate the amp, so future failures will be easier to deal with - I bolted a "plate" over the sub cutout in the back of the sub, will never be seen as it will be close to the wall.

The granite slab that will finish this off cosmetically is due in next week, so I am getting excited to get the right amp to push this!

mcgsxr

« Reply #49 on: 10 Feb 2010, 01:46 am »
I have finished the cosmetics as of today.  Pics below.

Here is the granite top of the sub.

Longer view of the sub, where it will live.

The old Altec is functional as the amp (remote located in the basement) but I will continue to look for the right high powered amp to do the job.  I can boost the bass by adding gain to the sub channel from the Pioneer receiver but I suspect that a pro audio amp, or one of those digital amps from Class D Audio will be able to drive it better.

Have fun with your projects!
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2010, 03:19 am by mcgsxr »

mcgsxr

« Reply #50 on: 14 Feb 2010, 06:27 pm »
I have been trying the Altec on the sub, and although it can produce decent levels, it seems loose or fluffy compared to the BASH 300 before it died.

I have given it much thought, and as I am playing around with sub amps in general, I decided to pick up a different pro amp - http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180465986927&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT - Crown 460 CSL, will produce 400w into 4 ohms, when parallel bridged.

If this arrives and does not do it, I will use it in stereo on my OB subs, and keep on trying different amps for this sub - I have heard it go before, and I know what it can do - not going to stop until it sounds as good as it can, now that it looks decent, and is in the HT.

mcgsxr

« Reply #51 on: 20 Feb 2010, 12:01 am »
Crown amp arrived today.

Hooked up, gain set, and ready to roll.

Results?  Now THAT is the bass I remembered, when I built this sub.  Both in terms of overall volume, but more importantly punch.  The fan is pretty loud, but given that the amp is in the basement, I can only hear it when I am not in the listening room anyway.

All set now, I will take a couple of pics, but other than the rears (wife does not desire them in the family room), this install is DONE.

mcgsxr

« Reply #52 on: 25 May 2010, 07:57 pm »
Is it ever really DONE?

Had hardwood installed on the main floor, so the nasty 14 year old carpet is a thing of the past.

Through the magic of 3 pics, a weeks worth of hard work is revealed!

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #53 on: 25 May 2010, 11:47 pm »
WOW!!!!  :o
Nice job Mark, super cool. I LOVE the floor and room.

It took me 50 pictures to convey the same thing you did in three.  :lol:

Bob

p.s. Don't forget guys, the "Home Theater and Video Circle" has a picture thread for cool stuff like this.  :wink:

mcgsxr

« Reply #54 on: 22 Mar 2013, 04:09 pm »
The ongoing build of the basement HT setup reminded me that I never posted the updates to the main floor.

Here are a couple of pics that show what we redid upstairs in the Fall.

Tore out the existing fireplace surround.  Installed custom built in shelving, and natural stone.  Mantle custom stained to match the flooring.  I hung up the TV I won, and called finished.  AGAIN.   :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #55 on: 22 Mar 2013, 04:50 pm »
Oh yea. That looks very nice, you should be proud.

Don't forget to post your "room finished" pics in the official HT room photo thread.   :wink:

Pez

« Reply #56 on: 22 Mar 2013, 05:03 pm »
Swanky!!!! Love it.