$1000 46 inch display help!

mcgsxr

$1000 46 inch display help!
« on: 12 Dec 2009, 09:02 pm »
I have talked my wife into looking at upgrading our 32 inch Vega.

I will mount this over the gas fireplace (yes, I know some folks are against this), using a mount that can tilt the screen up and down, but not an articulating style one (no need for side to side).  Mounting in this location will allow better seating arrangements for using the room when not viewing TV.

Locally, I have seen some deals around $1000 for varying 46 inch options.  The main viewing seating is about 12-13 feet from the expected placement for the display.

I have never owned a flat panel display for TV before.

My main application is satellite TV (probably 60-70%), and I will get an HD one, once the display is chosen.  I will likely upgrade my dvd player too, since they are now so cheap, and have HDMI connections.

I don't own a gaming system, and I don't watch a ton of sports - I do watch March Madness, hockey playoffs, some UFC, and some car or motorcycle racing and golf.  Likely only around 15% of the time.

Movies are loosely 15% of the time, but may increase with the new display.

Locally I have seen - 46 Samsung (LN46B530), 46 Sharp (LC46D65), and 47 LG (47LH30).  All are within $50 of each other, and all are just under $1000.

Ideas from the experienced about what I should consider, other than these locally available units in Canada?

Should I actually consider a smaller, "better" spec'd unit given my expected usage?

Thanks in advance,

Don_S

Re: $1000 46 inch display help!
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2009, 09:19 pm »
Mark,

I have a Sharp L46D62U.  I bought it about three years ago for $2K on a door-buster special.  From the numbering system and due to technology advancement I would guess the one you are looking at has better specs and mine was not shabby at the time.  I envy your price.  Mine was a great deal when I bought it.

I have not had any problems with this TV.  Picture is great but I have nothing to compare it to.  Sound sucks big time and is barely loud enough at max setting.  My 19" Sharp also has poor sound.  I think it is a Sharp trademark. :thumbdown: I am not sure if they have improved but that may be one feature to check in the store before you buy if you intend to do any watching without connecting it to your audio system.

46" seems big now (compared to your 32") but it will shrink as you get used to it. I would not consider a smaller unit based upon your viewing distance and the height you will be mounting it. In fact, I would consider going larger. What part of the specs don't you like?  I have not kept up on technology after I bought my set so I am not sure how they compare to mine or to the best available.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2009, 09:32 pm »
I definitely wouldn't go any smaller.  I sit a little closer with a 52" Sharp and it could be a tad bigger - but I'm spoiled with a 100" PJ/screen downstairs. 

IMO, the Samsung and Sharp are considerably better built and more reliable than the LG.  The Sharp, IMO has a better, smoother picture than the Samsungs in general.  I have 2 of the Sharps - 1 52" and 1 32" and love them both.  Very reliable, easy to calibrate for a great picture, etc. 

The only thing sets at this price point are missing is the 120Hz scanning rate vs 60Hz.  If you're not doing a lot of fast motion sports like hockey, you'd likely never notice the difference.

Bryan

Woodsea

« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2009, 09:40 pm »
What is your time frame for purchasing?  February is legendary for liquidations.  For LCD you will want to get a 120hz min refresh rate.  Plasma is always 600hz.  If you have a dark room and minimal reflections, Plasma is the way to go, IMHO.
Many manufacturers are adding internet access to their monitors this next year.  Think Hulu, netflix, youtube.  Vizio (LCD) is one that should be in your price range.   12-13 feet is getting into 50" territory which 1080 is a huge bump in resolution that you will notice at that viewing distance. 
When shopping check out what Amazon customers have to say. 
Once you go HD, if you are like most everyone else, you can never watch <HD again.
Enjoy

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2009, 09:40 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys.

The only specs that get better at the same price, but with a smaller unit, is the refresh rate.  As we are not junkies for fast action sports, I am thinking that the Sharp 46 should do nicely.

Do you connect via HDMI to that unit?  I thought I read only that some had issues with getting sound to travel to their Sharp via HDMI.

Trust me boys, I would go 53 in a heartbeat, but my wife is already experiencing shock at how much larger the 46 looks in the store.

bummrush

« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2009, 09:47 pm »
 Sports junkie or not ,,plasma is still the way to go.Plenty of fast sweeping action in all kinds of movie and tv viewing.

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2009, 10:19 pm »
I re-measured the viewing distance - more like 9-10 feet, as the room orientation will shift.

Plasma around $1000 recommendations?  Cheapest 46 plasma locally is $200 more than my budget can allow...

The room does not have ambient light issues, all the windows will be on the same wall as the display.

Doublej

« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2009, 10:26 pm »
If you were in the US I'd say Panasonic TC-P46S1. B&H has it bundled with a Bluray player for $1050.

Don_S

« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2009, 11:18 pm »
Mark,

I use HDMI into my Sharp and do not have any problems with audio in but I think only one of the two HDMI inputs accepts audio.  What I don't like is the only digital audio out is TOSLINK.

mcgsxr

« Reply #9 on: 12 Dec 2009, 11:41 pm »
That Panny is $1500 here in Canada...

Thanks for the Sharp HDMI clarification.

The Toslink could be an issue for some, but I intend to use the TV as the audio pre - I will take analog outs for sound from the TV, and feed my Panny receiver - not optimal I know, but it makes it really simple for my wife - the sound "follows" the video with simply switching TV inputs, and she can use just 1 remote - our satellite receiver remote can be programmed to turn the TV on and off etc.

That does mean that I will need to have multiple video input signals travel to the TV, but I have that already anyway.

I am moving to measuring the area for install, and beginning to consider where the power has to be placed etc, not to interfere with the mount for the TV, and where all the snaking will have to be done.

Thanks for the help guys,

mcgsxr

« Reply #10 on: 13 Dec 2009, 02:57 am »
Visited the local Tigerdirect retail location tonight, and saw this Vizio - SV470XVT1A

I have to say that it looked damn good, and right next to the Toshiba Regza too.

$999 makes it hard to resist - 120Hz refresh, 1080p, 47 inch, and in my price range.

I did see the difference between the 60 and 120Hz units, certainly worth consideration.

I did also see some Plasma units that were in the price range too, at Best Buy, but they were larger than I wanted (50 inch) and 720p.

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 13 Dec 2009, 03:15 am »
That's the problem with the Sharp - the speaker bar is junk.  It's not the HDMI connection or the guts, it's just crappy speakers.  Plan to run out to an external set for any kind of movie watching.

The Vizio is a bargain brand set certainly.  My father in law has one.  Big for the buck but the picture quality is not even in the same league IMO as any of the 3 originally mentioned.

I'd agree that if you can wait, you might find some other deals in February.

Bryan

gjs_cds

« Reply #12 on: 13 Dec 2009, 03:56 am »
For what it's worth, B&H offers "refurb" or "returned" TVs at significant discounts.  And they seem to have the same return policy on them.

For example, the TCP42G15 is sold for 699 (US).  That seems pretty ridiculous to me--it's definitely hard to turn down a deal like that....

Airborn

« Reply #13 on: 13 Dec 2009, 09:18 am »
I have the Sharp LC46D64U I got last year on closeout for $999 and I love it.  No banding issues that you sometimes hear about.  I compared it to similar model Vizio and no comparison imo. I agree that Sharp and Samsung picturs are better than the competition (except for Sony). I'd get the Sharp if I were you.

Mag

« Reply #14 on: 13 Dec 2009, 09:25 am »
I got a 46" Sony Bravia Z series for $1800 cdn. I sit about 4' away. I went with this size of tv because I find with a big screen I get more wrapped up in the show. IMO it had the best picture of tv's I looked at.
Plasma has an advantage of looking more film like. If you watch a lot of movies then that should be considered. I went with the LCD because there was a possibility the I may use it for gaming. The other reason was a PC connection in the back so I can surf the net during commercials. A large PC is pretty cool. There are plenty of connections on the back so I think you won't have a problem there.

I also bought a 32" Sony for $650 which was a great deal. Pretty much same tv with fewer input connections.

I dont' have any brand loyality. I could just have easily bought a Sharp or Panasonic.

I only noticed motion artifacts once on a Rambo movie.So that shouldn't be an issue.
I strongly recommend getting an HD video recorder. It takes TV watching to a nother level of enjoyment. I got mine through the cable company.

sdeen

« Reply #15 on: 14 Dec 2009, 07:05 am »
I re-measured the viewing distance - more like 9-10 feet, as the room orientation will shift.

Plasma around $1000 recommendations?  Cheapest 46 plasma locally is $200 more than my budget can allow...

The room does not have ambient light issues, all the windows will be on the same wall as the display.

Panasonic VIERA TC-P50X1 50" Plasma TV perfectly suits to your budget although it might be a bit little bigger than your preferred size. It will only sit you back for around 730 bucks, and its smaller 42" version has a very good expert rating of 86!

You might be interested in a refurbished Samsung LN46A630 46" LCD TV 120Hz costing around 930 which happen to also have a good rating of 85.

These are the two best LCD TVs I can suggest to you for your budget and I hope they help.

Good luck.

mcgsxr

« Reply #16 on: 14 Dec 2009, 11:50 am »
That 50 inch plasma is at my local Best Buy for $999 in Canada.  My wife fears a display so large...

My issue, is that it is "only" 720p - not really an issue I expect though, since my broadcast HD is 720, as are my DVD's no?

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 14 Dec 2009, 12:38 pm »
Don't know in Canada. In the US, all HD is 1080 except ABC I'm pretty sure.  Most DVD players are 480i, 480p, or upscale to 1080i.  A few will upscale to 720 but that's not the 'standard.'  If it were me, I'd definitely go for native 1080

Bryan

mcgsxr

« Reply #18 on: 14 Dec 2009, 01:36 pm »
Ahh, my ignorance of HD know no bounds!

I continue to waver, but think I will hunt down the Sharp 46, with the 120Hz refresh, and stretch to afford it - may mean that I cannot afford any Blue Ray fun, but that is likely best anyway, as I would not want a new format to go out and buy!

I am sure I can score a used upconverting DVD player...

Doublej

« Reply #19 on: 14 Dec 2009, 03:19 pm »
Don't know in Canada. In the US, all HD is 1080 except ABC I'm pretty sure.  Most DVD players are 480i, 480p, or upscale to 1080i.  A few will upscale to 720 but that's not the 'standard.'  If it were me, I'd definitely go for native 1080

Bryan

US broadcast is 720p or 1080i. When you say all HD is 1080 what are you referring to (broadcast, cable, dish?) and what type of 1080 do you mean?

Also while the material is broadcast in 720p or 1080i it may be upscaled from the it's format often 480i.