42" flat panel recommendations

R_burke

42" flat panel recommendations
« on: 24 Nov 2008, 10:28 pm »
Don't do blue ray, but thinking the conversion to digital might make HDTV more appealing.  I have room for a 42" flat panel, provided the speakers do not stick out too far on each side

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: 42" flat panel recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2008, 10:53 pm »
Sony Bravia seems to be getting very high ratings (on the forums) recently. It's the one I'll get when I do the wifeys HT room.
Keep an eye out for cheaper prices in what "seems" to be the same model. Take note of the model numbers; They got a 60Hz (good) version and a 120Hz (best) version. About $100 seperates the two generally.

Bob

jonwb

« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2008, 11:41 pm »
42" Panasonic plasma (720P is fine at this size, don't let anyone tell you otherwise).  You'll love it, and you should be able to find it easily for under $850.

jackman

« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2008, 11:58 pm »
You are in luck.   How does $659 delivered for a new Panasonic 42" plasma HDTV sound? 
My brother picked up a new Plasma for my mom for Christmas from this place.   Panasonic, HDTV 42" at 6ave.com for $659 delivered with no tax or BS.  This is a very good deal.   Coupon code and link are listed below.  Use prefriday code when you check out and you will get the $659 price.  I've got the prevoius generation Panny set and it is awesome. 

http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=PANTH42PX80U

Panasonic 42" VIERA Plasma HDTV TH42PX80U $659 at 6ave.com

Click Here

Discuss (5) : History : Tell : Posted 2:00 PM PST 11/21/08 by Ben

6ave.com has the Panasonic 42" 720p 480Hz VIERA Plasma HDTV TH42PX80U for $729 - coupon code PREFRIDAY = $659 with free shipping. [BizRate]

·  720p resolution, 15000:1 contrast ratio, 3 HDMI inputs

·  480Hz sub-field drive, Anti-reflective filter, HD Tuner, SD Card Slot

PS - I've got a new Bravia and it's a great set.  The Panny has a better picture (IMO) but both are very good.  The Sony uses less electricity but both are still pretty efficient.

mcullinan

« Reply #4 on: 25 Nov 2008, 12:02 am »
Its only 720 you want 1080p... Look for 120 Hz refresh..
Mike

Crimson

« Reply #5 on: 25 Nov 2008, 12:16 am »
A little birdy told me that Panasonic is dropping prices on all current 42" plasmas to under $500 starting this Friday.  aa

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 25 Nov 2008, 12:18 am »
Don't get a plasma, get and LCD....I like Sony I have 2 Bravias at 720p and they are fine for antenna viewing or DVD. Believe it or not, my older Sony XBR 36" tube beats all of the High Def in pleasant viewership, a very nice picture, even up close (like 2"), try that with your plasma.

Wayner  aa

Crimson

« Reply #7 on: 25 Nov 2008, 12:20 am »
Don't get a plasma, get and LCD....I like Sony I have 2 Bravias at 720p and they are fine for antenna viewing or DVD. Believe it or not, my older Sony XBR 36" tube beats all of the High Def in pleasant viewership, a very nice picture, even up close (like 2"), try that with your plasma.

Wayner  aa

Sure. If you're watching standard def.

jackman

« Reply #8 on: 25 Nov 2008, 12:36 am »
A little birdy told me that Panasonic is dropping prices on all current 42" plasmas to under $500 starting this Friday.  aa

Damn, that would be awesome.  I love my older Panny.  It's 720p but the picture is better than the 1080p Sony, as far as I can tell.  I'd rather have LCD in general because it's lighter weight for a comparable set but I think Plasma has a better overall picture.  Blacker blacks, brighter colors, etc.  Haven't done any side by side testing but my Panny with HDMI connection with digital HD cable or upsampled DVD's is very good looking.  As good as I need at the moment.

Cheers,

J

jonwb

« Reply #9 on: 25 Nov 2008, 01:04 am »
Until Plasma's are dead, people will be debating LCD vs. Plasma.  LCD's will eventually replace plasma, 'cause the will be cheaper to make, and they will get the picture to look better.  However, dollar for dollar, LCD's can't touch Plasma's for picture quality right now.  Electricity consumption is kind of an odd argument, but to each his own. 

I still have my 38" 1080i (native) tube HDTV (I'm an early adopter).  The picture is still incredible.  My wife and I agreed that we wouldn't replace it 'til something bigger looked as good.  Back then Plasma's were "new" and they had issues w/ motion artifacts and burn-in, and the picture just didn't look that great.  Fast forward a couple years and (thanks the the beauty of competition and human ingenuity) they got it figured out.  We saw a 50" Panny and I'll be dammed if it didn't look like a giant version of our 38" tube.  We bought it...  We've had it for three years now, my Dad has one, my Sister has one, our best friends have one (and a 42" in their bedroom).  Its kind of a can't miss.  I don't know why anyone would get anything else.  Panasonic has got it down; and the price is great to boot.

In addition to my tabletop HDTV collection I have a 1080P projector and a PS3 (for blu-ray).  Its based on my enjoyment of all these items that I can say w/o hesitation, you will not need a 1080P set at this size (42").  At 720P (or 1080i) you will be able to see the difference between blu-ray and DVD, but its really SUBTLE.  Going to blu-ray PLUS 1080P is a waste of money (again I say that w/ any set 50" or under).

just my 2 cents

DSK

« Reply #10 on: 25 Nov 2008, 01:48 am »
You don't mention your budget.

We just replaced our Bravia 32" LCD with a Panansonic Viera 42" 800A plasma and are absolutely thrilled. We still love the Bravia with its crisp, sharp picture (now used in another room) but the Panny has a more natural and 3D picture that somehow appears more natural and organic to the eyes/brain. LCD and plasma offer a different "look" and I can understand different people preferring each.

See if you can find a store that carries your favourite plasma and LCD models and will put them side by side for you, running off the same feed.

PMAT

« Reply #11 on: 25 Nov 2008, 02:17 am »
I don't know what you are replacing but you would be happy with any of the above tv's. I bought a Fujitsu 42" plasma in 780p about 4-5 years ago and had it calibrated in my house. I haven't lost a single pixel and have no artifacts. The color and picture is fantastic. I paid $4200! Oh my. My wife set it on fire three weeks after I bought it. She put candles under it and actually melted the casing until it dripped down and caught on fire. She put it out and sat in the corner and cried until I came home. I said nothing, got out my Dremmel cutoff wheel, cut the casing back and turned it on. Viola' it worked. My brother-in-law brought 6 different 1080p tv's home and took back 5 of them trying to beat my picture. I never said a word. He keeps pumping up the color and brightness.  :lol: 1080p is overkill for 42 inches and regular dvd's but you can get one for SO FREAKIN CHEAP now! Go with Panasonic 42" 1080P plasma and you will love it.  aa

Doublej

« Reply #12 on: 25 Nov 2008, 02:55 am »

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not but it seems highly unlikely given that not one Black Friday ad (Best Buy, Circuit City, Walmart, Sears, etc. etc.) is showing a 42" Panny anywhere near $500.

A 42" 720p Panny for $599 I'd believe.

viggen

« Reply #13 on: 25 Nov 2008, 03:37 am »
Newegg has the 42" 800 series Panny for $1400.  I believe the pq is quite a step up from the 80 and 85 series. 

Personally, I am eyeing a silver Sony KDL46Z4100 available at Fry's BM for $1799.  Probably drop a bit more come December.

acresm22

« Reply #14 on: 25 Nov 2008, 04:35 am »
Costco is also offering a 42" Pan plasma for $699 (720p), and with that you also get Costco's 90-day, no-questions-asked return policy.
Don't be mislead by the 720p/1080p argument, nor the LCD/plasma debate. If it's great pq you're after at a great price, the Pan plasma is a great way to go. This same set was $1299 one year ago, went to $999 in early 2008, and has been steadily trickling down since then.

Mag

« Reply #15 on: 25 Nov 2008, 04:43 am »
That's the model I bought Sony KDL-46Z4100 for $1899 CDN, only had it for a week. I think the picture is outstanding. I noticed though you can still see motion artifacts in fast motion on movies.
I couldn't get my Sony NS9100ES to work through HDMI directly and had to go through my AV/receiver to get it to work. With my other Sony upscaler the HDMI worked with no problem hooked directly.

I was disappointed that the pc input didn't fit my HD IC from my computer graphics card. So I will continue to use the computer through my HD moniter.

GHM

« Reply #16 on: 25 Nov 2008, 05:51 am »
I was also informed recently by a little birdy that the Panasonic 42" would be priced at 499.99. We'll have to see. This is smoking deal if it comes to light!

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #17 on: 25 Nov 2008, 07:18 am »
Keep in mind that with nthe rate at which flat-panel TVs are progressing any TV you buy today is not going to be a long termer like the big tube job you got 15 years ago.

I chose a 1080p LCD (a Toshiba had the best bang for the buck for my needs when we pulled the trigger, we have been trilled with it) because when it is time to retire it in 3 or 4 years i'll be able to use it as a computer moinitor. I won't be able to tell you how much the 1080p* can be until i get a bluray player, as the current source material maxes out at 1080i... what i can tell you is that HD cable, east coast channels (i'm on the left coast) & a PVR have radically changed the way we watch TV (for the better)

*(i am pretty sure even this rez, in less than 10 years, fidelity will be considered the same way we now consider a Sonyt Walkman cassette deck. "4360p is already in test.)

dave

lcrim

« Reply #18 on: 25 Nov 2008, 08:01 am »
I bought my first HDTV in 2002,  a Sony CRT 34" XBR 800 and it still looks better than almost anything I see in showrooms.  I also have an Olevia 32" LCD bought the following year and my opinion is that there is not any good reason to replace them.  The scalars in both TV's do a fine job w/ standard DVDs @ 480P and w/ directv.  BluRay titles are still pretty scarce and the difference in resolution isn't of the same order of magnitude that it was from SD to HD. 
Prices are coming way down if that $500 for a 42" Panny is real.  I promise you I paid muliples of that for my HDTV's.I actually came from HT as an early adopter and discovered that I really enjoy  2 channel music more than I ever would have thought.  I moved from hundreds of watts and a multi channel setup to HiEff speakers and single ended amps and turntables.  Its a good direction to see prices coming down of course but I don't see the need to change HDTVs every few years.  I frankly don't see the need for constantly changing sound equipment either but to each his own.

rabpaul

« Reply #19 on: 25 Nov 2008, 08:16 am »
For me it was a choice between the 1080 and 720 42" Panasonic until I saw a 720 42" Pioneer Kuro.
IMO nothing comes close except for bigger Pioneer.