Is cable one of the biggest scams ever?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Is cable one of the biggest scams ever?
« Reply #40 on: 26 Aug 2008, 12:42 am »
Anybody read books anymore? :scratch: Are books becoming obsolete and the human central nervous system becoming one with the internet and the mass electronic media?

-Roy

Read books....I doubt it. :?

Most don't have the free time to read Roy....or so they say.

I know my wife stops every day at the library...to pick up the latest DVD's...they have some collection....and their price is right...free.

WGH

« Reply #41 on: 26 Aug 2008, 12:52 am »

I'd let my neighbor hop on mine....especially if he split the bill and bought me a router!
Ed

My neighbor and I share a connection, the house is a duplex so he is hard wired and it is nice to get help with the DSL bill.

But if he ever gets into file sharing then I'm pulling his plug. Besides slowing down my connection I would be responsible for his illegal downloads.

Wayne

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #42 on: 26 Aug 2008, 11:31 am »
You could easily build an antenna to pick the signal up.
:o :lol: That's the coolest thing I've seen in a long time.
I wonder if it will go 400' through the trees?
Thanks Ed. You never cease to amaze.  :wink:

A quick Google search of "wireless cantenna" yields some interesting photos and various versions of home made wireless antennas (from cans).
Even Pringles chip cans and workshop light reflectors:

nathanm

« Reply #43 on: 26 Aug 2008, 05:47 pm »
No time to read books?  Feh!  If you have time to watch TV and surf the internet then you've got time to read books.  If people aren't reading books its because they don't want to, not because of time constraints.  I consider myself an extremely lazy book reader, but I still managed to read about five books within the past few months.  You just have to find time to squeeze it in; on lunch breaks, while driving, during meetings…

I was going to suggest that Bob get a big spool of coax and run it from his neighbor's house, but the wireless is an even better idea.  Then when they come to bust your balls for stealing cable you can beat them over the head with the fact that you were begging them to have it installed but they wouldn't do it. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #44 on: 26 Aug 2008, 06:06 pm »
How can I steal something they say can't possibly exist?  :icon_twisted: :finger:
AHHH HA!!

So there.  :P

Does anybody here work for AT&T (or Charter?) ? 
I promise I won't ask for anything free. In fact, I'm begging to pay.

Bob

rmassey

« Reply #45 on: 27 Oct 2008, 02:15 am »
After having DirecTV for years, I dropped them about 1.5 yrs ago for FREE OTA HD. I get all four nets + PBS with an antenna and pre-amp.   I noticed that the majority of what I watch is network TV.  With the money I saved ($65/mo) I bought two HD Tivos (S3 & THD) that I use with OTA HD.  I pay Tivo about $15/mo for their service and zero for subscription TV.  The tivo service is worth it to me to allows me to record and control my viewing of HD content. 

I doubt I'll ever go back to Sat or cable.   Seems like they all want their subs to be paying $80-$100/mo.