Universal remote questions

brj

Re: Universal remote questions
« Reply #20 on: 3 Dec 2007, 05:11 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
This is one of the cheapest places to get a Pronto:

http://www.hideflifestyle.com/remote-controls-c-25.html?filter_id=3&sort=20a

Good link!  Comparing to pricegrabber, they do seem to have good prices on remotes in general - thanks!

Philistine

« Reply #21 on: 3 Dec 2007, 05:43 pm »
I used to own an earlier vintage Pronto, and currently have both a HTM MX-500 and MX-700.
On one of the HT forums I participated in a similar thread and, based on your needs, I would seriously consider the Harmony range.  Nothing wrong with Pronto or the MX series, but I came away with the following simplistic analogy:   

Pronto - akin to Linux (need to be a computer nerd)
MX - more like Windows (less computer nerdy but you still need to be computer savvy)
Harmony - more like a mac, better consumer interface

if you need this for your parents then the Harmony series may be a better way to go.  Their is less focus on individual component activities and more focus on what you want to achieve as an end result or action. You can achieve this with Pronto and MX's but they do over complicate things. 

I started the HT thread promoting MX product series, but came away with a view that the Harmony series were worthy of serious consideration.

brj

« Reply #22 on: 3 Dec 2007, 10:59 pm »
Quote from: Philistine
I came away with the following simplistic analogy:   

Pronto - akin to Linux (need to be a computer nerd)
MX - more like Windows (less computer nerdy but you still need to be computer savvy)
Harmony - more like a mac, better consumer interface

:lol:

Well that isn't fair... appealing to the Linux fan/user in me! :)   (Although Mac is a close second and occasional first... I use Windows under duress! :lol:)

No, this remote is for the parents so user interface is important.  As long as the main activities can be reduced to a single button press, however, I don't think it will be too much of a problem.

I do like that the Harmony RF receiver/splitter is included with the 890 remote, although you obviously see it in the price.  It appears that the Home Theater Master MX-650 (or 850, if you go that high) require you to buy one of several such units separately.  I've found 4 so far, but haven't nailed down all of their differences yet.

Thanks for the breakdown!

EProvenzano

« Reply #23 on: 3 Dec 2007, 11:14 pm »
I truly enjoy my Harmony 550.  I'm not sure if it is still available, but I plan on purchasing one for my parents, fwiw.  They are not technically savvy, but I believe they will enjoy using it....after I program it  :lol:

Good luck.

EProvenzano

« Reply #24 on: 3 Dec 2007, 11:21 pm »
The Harmony 659 appears to be just the ticket for me this year.  It has a few minor improvements over the 550.  Check it out.  I believe it addresses some of your concerns.  FWIW, it took me only 1 hour to program my 550, and an additional 1/2 session a few days later to trouble shoot and make corrections.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10032938&catid=25336

brj

« Reply #25 on: 4 Dec 2007, 04:48 am »
Thanks for the recommendation!  If the 659 had RF, I'd say it was the leading contender.  Unfortunately, I think RF is a definite requirement.

A couple of years ago I gave my parents one of the IR repeaters that runs a single sensor outside the media center/cabinets and then wired transmitters to each component.  Despite the fact that they have a very reflective room for IR, that setup still isn't full proof when it comes to running macros that send out multiple signals to multiple components.  And without state information on each component, recovering from a missed command tends to be a pain.  I think an RF capable remote is going to be the only way to settle the issue for good.

In the Harmony line, it looks like the lowest priced RF capable unit is the 890, although it appears to have been out for at least 2 years now.

samplesj

« Reply #26 on: 4 Dec 2007, 01:41 pm »
It appears that the Home Theater Master MX-650 (or 850, if you go that high) require you to buy one of several such units separately.  I've found 4 so far, but haven't nailed down all of their differences yet.

Just remember that URC did a really stupid thing with their CS and you need to buy the remote from an authorized vendor or you won't get the right software.  They also have an advertised minimum price scheme.  If you ask the vendor they will usually discount it fairly heavily, but you have to ask since they can show that publicly.  You might check out pricing on a bundled 850/250, but that doesn't mean you have to buy the RF stations from an authorized vendor.  I picked up my second base for $50 from 6th ave on ebay, but it looks like the RF boxes are around $60 now.

brj

« Reply #27 on: 5 Dec 2007, 04:36 am »
Thanks, Jeremy!

It looks like you can download the software from their website if you register, although it does require the serial number.  (Which is annoying, as then potential users can't test it out and see what components are already in the database.)

Did I miss something?

A bundled price on the 850/250 or 650/250 sounds like a good idea, although I haven't found such a bundle online or locally yet.  (I haven't looked much locally, as I don't usually see advanced remotes in stores.)
« Last Edit: 5 Dec 2007, 04:50 am by brj »

samplesj

« Reply #28 on: 5 Dec 2007, 12:44 pm »
It looks like you can download the software from their website if you register, although it does require the serial number.  (Which is annoying, as then potential users can't test it out and see what components are already in the database.)
Oh, they will give you the software, but if it didn't come from an authorized dealer it won't update the device db.  Basically there are 2 different versions of the software.  I was stuck with the "bad" version of the software until I bought a another 850 for my parents.  Of course the "good" software works fine on BOTH 850s :icon_twisted:.
A bundled price on the 850/250 or 650/250 sounds like a good idea, although I haven't found such a bundle online or locally yet.  (I haven't looked much locally, as I don't usually see advanced remotes in stores.)
Hmmm, Sorry it looks like the two big guys quit doing that.  I don't see one at either SurfRemote or BlueDo.  It also looks like SurfRemote is just showing the "real" price upfront now.

brj

« Reply #29 on: 5 Dec 2007, 08:54 pm »
Thanks for the feedback - and the online vendor suggestions!

Quote from: samplesj
Quote from: brj

Oh, they will give you the software, but if it didn't come from an authorized dealer it won't update the device db.  Basically there are 2 different versions of the software.  I was stuck with the "bad" version of the software until I bought a another 850 for my parents.  Of course the "good" software works fine on BOTH 850s :icon_twisted:.

That behavior never made sense to me... what possible benefit is there in punishing your customers for your own inability to control your distributors?  The other problem is that their website does not list authorized online vendors - only brick-and-mortar vendors (none of whom are especially close to me).

So the only difference between the "authorized dealer" software and "non-authorized dealer" software is that the first updates the component database (online, presumably) and the other doesn't?  I confess that I'd be surprised if their website download is anything other than the fully functional software, but I have no way to check it, since I don't have a serial number.  I wish their was, because then I could find out if the components I'm interested in are already programmed into their database.

Quote from: samplesj
Quote from: brj

Hmmm, Sorry it looks like the two big guys quit doing that.  I don't see one at either SurfRemote or BlueDo.  It also looks like SurfRemote is just showing the "real" price upfront now.

SurfRemote has a "holiday bundle" for the 810, but not the 850.  I've been able to find the MX-850 listed in the $170s (shipped) and the MRF-250 near $60 shipped from online vendors that claim to be authorized.

brj

« Reply #30 on: 13 Dec 2007, 12:57 am »
To follow up on my own thread, I've ordered the URC MX-850 remote and MRF-250 RF/IR receiver/converter.  I played with the Logitech Harmony 890 and a higher-end non-Pronto LCD based remote this past weekend, and decided that the comparatively big, meaty buttons on the MX-850 made for a nicer interface for my intended audience.  Jeremy was nice enough to confirm for me that the TV, DVD and VCR were fully supported with discrete codes, and I think I can make the general codes work for the receiver and CD player.  Thanks, Jeremy!

I ordered from SurfRemote after talking them down close to where the best prices were from other vendors.  I could have gotten everything for $10-15 elsewhere, but SurfRemote is an authorized vendor and will allow me to download the full software.  (I haven't done this yet, so consider that statement unverified just yet.)

Thanks to all for your suggestions and help!

Philistine

« Reply #31 on: 13 Dec 2007, 02:39 am »
I'm sure the URC MX series will work fine.  If you have trouble getting codes from the database you can always find codes users have posted on the following site:

http://www.remotecentral.com/

MaxCast

« Reply #32 on: 13 Dec 2007, 12:39 pm »
Nice remote, brj.  Thanks for the updated.

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #33 on: 14 Dec 2007, 12:22 am »
I ordered from SurfRemote after talking them down close to where the best prices were from other vendors.  I could have gotten everything for $10-15 elsewhere, but SurfRemote is an authorized vendor and will allow me to download the full software.  (I haven't done this yet, so consider that statement unverified just yet.)

Please let us know if you are able to get the full version of software. I've pretty much settled on the MX-850 also, but I'm concerned about URC's software policies and want to make sure I get the full functionality, not a crippled version.

ctviggen

« Reply #34 on: 14 Dec 2007, 11:20 am »
I'm also interested in something (preferably with RF) to replay my again Pronto TSU2000.  The remote simply takes too long to program.

janneman

« Reply #35 on: 14 Dec 2007, 01:30 pm »
To follow up on my own thread, I've ordered the URC MX-850 remote and MRF-250 RF/IR receiver/converter. [snip]Jeremy was nice enough to confirm for me that the TV, DVD and VCR were fully supported with discrete codes, and I think I can make the general codes work for the receiver and CD player.  Thanks, Jeremy!
[snip]

Hi brj,

A question: does 'discrete codes' mean you can program the individual command codes, like: 'TV off = 23hex" (I'm just making up a number here)?

Thanks,

Jan Didden

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #36 on: 14 Dec 2007, 01:52 pm »
Yes, discrete codes means a separate code for, example, power on and power off, so that states are easily managed.  Many remotes only have, in this example, a power button, but somewhere in their documentation are various discrete codes to get you to a certain state (another example: Dolby PLIIXMusic, as opposed to toggling through surround modes).

TomS

« Reply #37 on: 14 Dec 2007, 01:53 pm »
Discrete just means you can explicitly give it an "On" code and also an "Off" code rather than a toggle of On to Off and Off to On whenever the button is pressed or code sent.  You don't have to deal with the current state of the devices.  If it's already "On" and you said another "On" press, it ignores it.

samplesj

« Reply #38 on: 14 Dec 2007, 01:58 pm »
Please let us know if you are able to get the full version of software. I've pretty much settled on the MX-850 also, but I'm concerned about URC's software policies and want to make sure I get the full functionality, not a crippled version.
I'm pretty sure that SurfRemote is where I got my second remote and I did get the full version from them.  My original remote wasn't from an authorized dealer, but I bought it before their changed their policy.  If worse came to worse I'm sure if you asked around here and at remote central someone would get the right version for you.

A question: does 'discrete codes' mean you can program the individual command codes, like: 'TV off = 23hex" (I'm just making up a number here)?
Yes, if you are lucky you don't have to since everyone over at RemoteCentral is great about sharing their files.  However if no one has uploaded a given button then you just open the hex editor and type away.  I had to add the discrete off for my XA2 manually via the hex editor.

janneman

« Reply #39 on: 14 Dec 2007, 02:14 pm »
Well, that sounds quite interesting. I have several diy devices with an RC5 receiver, and I am always searching for a 'device' whose codes I can use to avoid interference between all the different devices. BUT if I could program a button with a specific hex code in RC5, like: my diy DCX2496 level control, vol up would be 13 hex, I can make up my own code scheme. I'm sure technically it is trivial, but mostly when someone announces a "programmable remote" they mean that you can download device code sets from the 'net. But that's not what I want. Do I understand this correctly?

Jan Didden