SmX Screen has arrived and installation has started

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: SmX Screen has arrived and installation has started
« Reply #40 on: 15 Aug 2007, 06:39 pm »
For the size screen you are running, you shouldn't really need the gain.  Its all area based so just an inch or two more matters a lot.  Since you don't need the gain, why not take advantage of the AT material.  For that room with that size screen, its a great choice.

Just 30% more diagonal needs over 60% more lumens.  So even though I've gotten light control to the level that I need to weatherstrip the door frame because that tiny bit of halo from where the sides aren't perfectly square with the wall is the brightest light in the room I still need gain.  I'm not running a CRT, but instead a JVC RS1 rated at 800 lumens.  I'll just point out that projector makers "over" estimate brightness and of course any tweaking you do to settings reduce the brightness even more.  As a bulb ages you will also see a reduction so Bryan's comment that only CRTs need gain is not at all accurate if you shoot for a minimum 13 ft lamberts at the end of bulb life.  More never hurts!  Also many of the disadvantages Bryan cited are much less observable with retro-reflective screens vs angular reflective screens.  I wasn't trying to question Bryan's recommendation/sale of this SmX screen to George, but rather point out the trade off to others that were planning on following George's design.  We've gotten off topic from George's thread so I'll leave it there.

All good points.

I should also point out that my Firehawk was also 110" so it was the same size.  Furthermore, my previous pj was a Marantz VP-12S1, whichactually has a lower lumen output than the Panny AE-900 I am now using.

Don't worry about straying a bit off topic, it is good and informative conversation.

George

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #41 on: 15 Aug 2007, 06:46 pm »
No offense taken.  I was just trying to present the plusses and minuses of each type of screen.  There are always tradeoffs.  The bulb dimming is absolutely an issue with digital PJs.  The one advantage to the RS-1 rating is that it is supposedly a calibrated rating - unlike the full out peak ratings most other PJs use.  I had a friend of mine calibrate an RS-1 and a Sony Pearl.  When it was done, the RS-1 actually had MORE output than the Sony.

Bryan

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #42 on: 20 Nov 2007, 09:48 pm »
Well, I finally attached the screen material to the frame today with the help of Sunshinedawg.

While my HT still isn't ready yet, I will give the screen a quick spin by hooking up a pj/dvd player.

Here is a pic of the screen in the custom mahogany frame:

Please ignore all of the mess...   aa

George

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #43 on: 20 Nov 2007, 10:07 pm »
Nice job George.  That looks really sweet.

Bryan

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #44 on: 21 Nov 2007, 02:53 am »
Here a couple of screen pics from a very hasty setup that includes a Bolder Cable modified Panny RP-91 (480P output) into a Panny AE-900 pj via component.

I am now really motivated to at least get my HT functional as quickly as possible.

Stay tuned.

George

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #45 on: 2 Dec 2007, 06:11 pm »
Beautiful set-up George, and you are watching one of my favorite movies...The 5th Element!
 Now that I am done shoveling snow for the day, I can bunker down and watch it this afternoon.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #46 on: 2 Dec 2007, 06:23 pm »
Beautiful set-up George, and you are watching one of my favorite movies...The 5th Element!
 Now that I am done shoveling snow for the day, I can bunker down and watch it this afternoon.

Thanks Bill.

I will try and get some newer pics up soon as I have cleaned things up a bit.

Now if I can just find time to paint, hang curtains, hang acoustic fabric, mount speakers, run wires, etc...

George