Projector & Screen recommendations - need help

Odal3

Re: Projector & Screen recommendations - need help
« Reply #20 on: 17 Feb 2015, 05:48 pm »
I'm in the US. Indianapolis, IN to be specific.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #21 on: 17 Feb 2015, 05:57 pm »
Not that far...but far enough that you can't swing by and pick things up.

I can easily ship the pj, but I don't have the box for the screen.

George

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #22 on: 17 Feb 2015, 06:33 pm »
. That's a neat solution to get some hidden storage space. Sorry for being slow, but is the screen itself store bought or something that you did yourself. If diy, what's the material, etc you used?
The face of the screen is "Luan", or floor underlayment. Basically, it's a good quality 1/4" type of plywood with very smooth surfaces. The skeleton is 1"x4" laid flat. If you do a Google search for "Torsion panel", that's what it is. Basically, just a minimal skeleton with a skin over it. I filled the joints and painted it white. Works great, and cost was minimal.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #23 on: 17 Feb 2015, 06:39 pm »
Bob,
the way you have your screen setup with the area behind it is great!
Wish I had room to do the same..

Nice speakers too... did you buy or is there a build thread for those?
thanks,
Bob2

ajzepp

« Reply #24 on: 17 Feb 2015, 07:48 pm »
Congrats on the decision to go with a Projector set-up...it's truly an experience you just can't get from a regular display.

As for recommendations, I will throw out another vote for Epson. Hard to go wrong with their stuff, AND they have about the best customer service on earth. Great choice for a first time projector enthusiast.

Regarding screens, if you want a GREAT budget screen for the first time, I can't recommend the Cinema Grey from Eastporters highly enough. They also have a Reference model that has crazy good reviews. There is a very robust thread on Eastporters over at AVS.

Another great option that I had amazing results with is Screen Goo. I'm not typically a DIY person, but it was really inexpensive and I knew I wanted a huge screen (it ended up being 133") so I gave it a go. It turned out great and I really miss that screen to this day.

Just my $.02

Good luck!!

Phil A

« Reply #25 on: 17 Feb 2015, 07:53 pm »
Bob,

thanks,
Bob2

Yes -really nice set-up.  Looks like he made them and they are similar in appearance to http://www.spatialaudio.us/hologram

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 17 Feb 2015, 08:46 pm »
Bob,

thanks,
Bob2
Thanks Bob,
I made that 'cavity' behind the screen as the space required for an infinite baffle sub to operate. I gave my wife instructions that all the extra blankets, clothes and stuffed animals are to be stored back there (to act as stuffing since I was a bit shy on total volume needed).  :lol:

There are build threads on both sets of speakers:

>> The Gray Ones << are my personal pair. They had to be extra short so they wouldn't block the screen from the seated position.

>> The Red Ones << I built from Pelin burl for a fellow a few years back.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #27 on: 17 Feb 2015, 11:33 pm »
Hey Phil,
thanks for that link!

Bob,
they looked so good that I thought a pro built them.
Very nice!
And thank you for the links to the build threads. I'll be looking those over very closely. :D

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #28 on: 18 Feb 2015, 01:58 am »
Thank you Bob!  :D
Projects like this are what I think about doing when I'm doing my day job.

After all....
A bad day in the workshop, is better than a good day at work (assuming emergency medical intervention is not necessary).

Bob

Odal3

« Reply #29 on: 18 Feb 2015, 06:33 am »
More good suggestions. Got busy fiddling with a new sub so it got too late for looking into the screen options.

The screen go or the kilz looks interesting.

Bob - thanks for sharing your build treads. Liked your tease with the center.  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #30 on: 18 Feb 2015, 01:20 pm »
Thanks!
Not sure what the 'tease' is, are you referring to the Squeezebox mounted in the top of the center?

The KilzII though is a $15 experiment for a gallon. You just can't get any cheaper. Try it, and see how you like it. You can always try the "Goo" over the top.

Bob

Odal3

« Reply #31 on: 19 Feb 2015, 05:43 pm »
Odal3. If you are considering budget screens, take a look at Silver Ticket Products (on Amazon). They go together fairly easily and provide a solid image.

Is the top pick in this comparison the same one as you recommend? It seems to be a very good budget choose based on the measurements.
http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-projector-screen/

Odal3

« Reply #32 on: 19 Feb 2015, 05:45 pm »
Thanks!
Not sure what the 'tease' is, are you referring to the Squeezebox mounted in the top of the center?

The KilzII though is a $15 experiment for a gallon. You just can't get any cheaper. Try it, and see how you like it. You can always try the "Goo" over the top.

Bob

Yes."There's a few teasers thrown in there. I won't show my full hand just yet. But I hope you enjoy the ride with me"

Odal3

« Reply #33 on: 19 Feb 2015, 05:46 pm »
Congrats on the decision to go with a Projector set-up...it's truly an experience you just can't get from a regular display.

Thank you for the encouragements!

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 19 Feb 2015, 05:58 pm »
Yes."There's a few teasers thrown in there. I won't show my full hand just yet. But I hope you enjoy the ride with me"
Ohhhh yea...I forgot all about that.  :lol:

maplegrovemusic

• Please Be kind to your ears .... Treat your room
« Reply #35 on: 19 Feb 2015, 06:04 pm »
+ 5 for Epson . I had a videophile buddy over who is a staunch plasma guy . He commented on how nice he liked my Epson .$1100 model from Best Buy .My thoughts on screens are i would not buy some generic cheap model . I have a elite screen with motor and tension strings . pretty nice . Although i could live with just projecting on a painted wall as i have done in the past also .  My current screen is 90" diagonal . Been looking at 125" models recently . Amazon has a motorized lite brand for only $250 delivered . Thinking about that one . Lots of choices . Enjoy your theater !

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #36 on: 19 Feb 2015, 06:11 pm »
Is the top pick in this comparison the same one as you recommend? It seems to be a very good budget choose based on the measurements.

It is similar, but I have the 125" 2.65:1 version. I also accidentally purchased the gray version, but it's not a problem since my room has some light issues.

gab

« Reply #37 on: 19 Feb 2015, 09:44 pm »

Thanks for the link on this guys. I'm going to look into their silver light rejecting material as I think I could use the 1.5 gain (my projector has a low 700 lumens output spec). But it is currently out of stock.

http://silverticketproducts.com/materials/

gab

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #38 on: 19 Feb 2015, 10:09 pm »
Here is a picture of my in-process theater build with the Silver Ticket 125" diagonal 2.35:1 Cinema Format Grey Screen. Everything is still pretty chaotic, but I will probably begin installing cork flooring this weekend. I just inserted a Darbee Darblet into the system, but it needs more evaluation before I decide if it's a keeper or not.

gab

« Reply #39 on: 19 Feb 2015, 10:34 pm »
Here is a picture of my in-process theater build with the Silver Ticket 125" diagonal 2.35:1 Cinema Format Grey Screen. Everything is still pretty chaotic, but I will probably begin installing cork flooring this weekend. I just inserted a Darbee Darblet into the system, but it needs more evaluation before I decide if it's a keeper or not.

Looking good! I see what you mean by lighting issues.

gab