Projector & Screen recommendations - need help

Odal3

Re: Projector & Screen recommendations - need help
« Reply #40 on: 20 Feb 2015, 03:14 am »
Nice room. That will be really nice!

OK- next question: screen size. How big screen can these <$1k projectors handle? . I was thinking 110" but my room would work with both smaller and slightly larger. Also, if going with a 110" screen, what resolution must the content have in order to at least look OK (not talking perfect here -only wachable for the times I will stream content from misc sites at less than 1080p)?

One more: gray vs. white. Is it correct that you want to use gray screens in room with lots of light amd white in darker rooms?

LadyDog

« Reply #41 on: 20 Feb 2015, 03:16 am »
Here is a picture of my in-process theater build with the Silver Ticket 125" diagonal 2.35:1 Cinema Format Grey Screen. Everything is still pretty chaotic, but I will probably begin installing cork flooring this weekend. I just inserted a Darbee Darblet into the system, but it needs more evaluation before I decide if it's a keeper or not.

Nice looking setup.  I'd be surprised if the Darbee did not add value.

LadyDog

« Reply #42 on: 20 Feb 2015, 03:21 am »
Nice room. That will be really nice!

OK- next question: screen size. How big screen can these <$1k projectors handle? . I was thinking 110" but my room would work with both smaller and slightly larger. Also, if going with a 110" screen, what resolution must the content have in order to at least look OK (not talking perfect here -only wachable for the times I will stream content from misc sites at less than 1080p)?

One more: gray vs. white. Is it correct that you want to use gray screens in room with lots of light amd white in darker rooms?

Some of the above depends on the projector, the environment, etc.  You can go well above 110 though.  Personally I'd not go less than 1080.  Obviously money is key, but if the budget is 1k, I see no reason to step down.

Odal3

« Reply #43 on: 20 Feb 2015, 03:28 am »
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes projector will be a 1080p and most content as well. But, we watch some other content as well - mostly kids stuff

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #44 on: 20 Feb 2015, 04:16 am »
OK- next question: screen size. How big screen can these <$1k projectors handle? . I was thinking 110" ....
As I mentioned before, the Epson 8350 I'm using is on a 140" "KilzII" screen, with a throw distance of about 15'.

Odal3

« Reply #45 on: 20 Feb 2015, 04:20 am »
Thanks for the reminder :D

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #46 on: 20 Feb 2015, 04:22 am »
It's all good.   :D

youravhandyman

« Reply #47 on: 20 Feb 2015, 03:33 pm »
 BISL,

Been wondering about your screen.  Though your screen serves multiple purposes, what would you say you really have in it for cost?  Factor in time too. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #48 on: 20 Feb 2015, 04:39 pm »
Hmm...good question. It was ten years ago, and my memory isn't that good.
I used five sheets of Luan to cover the front and back. Last I checked, it's like $8 a sheet. If I had to do it again, I would not have covered the rear. It adds strength, but adds weight. When I flip it up it's like doing stand-up bench presses. To cover the front would require three sheets for my 140" screen (10' wide), but if you had a more reasonable size, you could do it with two sheets...so lets say $20 for Luan.

The skeleton was 1"x4" pine. It's been a while since I've bought that, so (guessing) the price for a 10' section would be $15? If I rememmber correctly, it used five pieces, so that would be about $75.

A gallon of KilzII is $15.

I had the hinges, but I guess you could pick the up for $10?

$20 - Luan
$75 - Pine 1x4
$15 - Paint
$10 - Hinges
------
$120

That should be pretty close Matt.  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #49 on: 20 Feb 2015, 04:41 pm »
Oh...."Time"...
well, I could knock one out in a couple hours. But if you wanted it sanded like a kitchen table, multiple coats of paint, sanding in between...yes..you could get carried away and make it take an entire weekend.

Odal3

« Reply #50 on: 3 Mar 2015, 06:18 am »
Just missed a super deal on a BENQ 1075 at B&H, so I'm just monitoring some prices at the moment. I'm also strongly leaning towards the 110" Silverticket screeens - matte white.

Just curious - does anyone has some experience with acoustically transparrant screens? Do you have to go up in price to get a decent one? Will that negatively impact both sound and picture? Read a few non-conlusive threads such as this, so I assume it depends: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/1438177-acoustically-transparent-screen-standard-fixed-frame-2.html

Thanks again for all your good recommendations!