The Popcorn Thread

mhconley

Re: The Popcorn Thread
« Reply #40 on: 7 Mar 2014, 06:34 pm »
I LOVE movie theater popcorn.  After my post and reading others in this thread I purchased this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038AM3W2/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to use in our Whirley-Pop along with Flavacol and this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AX6JGI8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  I made the first batch last night.  I'm in popcorn heaven!

Martin

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #41 on: 22 Apr 2015, 12:34 am »
"Bump"

For $15, I bought an 8 pack of assorted seasonings.
Here's the Amazon link

And here's what I've amassed for flavors to date.
(That Flavacol is still amazing!)

ctviggen

« Reply #42 on: 22 Apr 2015, 12:38 am »
While I use coconut oil a lot, I still like butter for popcorn (the very few times I eat popcorn).  My wife will typically mix coconut oil and butter, though. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #43 on: 22 Apr 2015, 12:43 am »
Neat idea. I've been using coconut oil exclusively for about a year now.
The more I hear about it, the more amazing it sounds. The things people do with coconut oil in the name of good health is...well... shocking.

But anyway...mixing it with butter sounds amazing. Wifey and I are having "movie night" tonight, I think I'll add some butta to the oil.
Of course, I won't tell her in advance.
Thank you.  :D

ctviggen

« Reply #44 on: 22 Apr 2015, 12:44 am »
From a health standpoint, good-for-you oils loose their antioxidant properties when heated, in fact they can become carcinogenic when they reach their smoke point.  I most often enjoy using a hot air popper to pop the corn then spray on olive oil afterward.

For salt and flavorings, everyone has their favorite, but what can I say about Flavacol?  Enjoy your artificial flavor, FD&C Yellow #5 Lake (E102) and FD&C Yellow #6 Lake (E110).

Steve

There are very few good for you "oils."  One should avoid heating (or eating) all oils made from vegetables.  Avoid canola, vegetable oil, etc. Coconut oil can be heated, but it's got a high percentage of good for you saturated fat and really isn't an oil unless it's really warm. 

By the way, there are very few RCTs (randomized controlled trials) with olive oil.  The only one I know of is negative for olive oil (that is, people eating olive oil had more heart disease than the controls). 

roscoeiii

« Reply #45 on: 22 Apr 2015, 01:57 am »
Finally got some truffle salt again this weekend. So incredible on popcorn. Just a pinch will do you. No need for butter or anything else.