HT/Music System Advice

SRO04

HT/Music System Advice
« on: 9 May 2015, 04:53 pm »
I am upgrading my music/HT system. Here are a couple of options: Cary Cinema 12 processor with Simaudio Moon Titan 5-channel amp vs. Classe SSP-800 processor with CA-5200 5-channel amp. All are previously owned. I will probably be using Salk SS7 speakers for L/R and a Salk HTC7 for the center. Ratio is 60/40, music to HT. And a good percentage of HT is for live concert DVD's. Love to hear any takes on this. Thanks!
« Last Edit: 10 May 2015, 03:06 am by SRO04 »

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: HT/Music System Advice
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2015, 06:07 pm »
Hello, SRO04.

The amps and pre/pros you listed are fine components. I can't find fault with their pedigree. I would, however, like to offer an idea that I used for my own HT system.

I have two separate amps available for my HT system. The first is an AVA Synergy 240/3. This is a SS 3-channel 120W/ch amp. The second amp is an AVA 400R Fet valve ~200W/ch (2-channel). [I'm not trying to suggest you buy these amps. I'm just using them as an example.] While no slouch, the Synergy amp is of lesser SQ and power. In this full system this amp will power my center and rear surrounds while the 400R would power the front L/R speakers. Most rear surrounds do not need 200W of power and dynamics IMHO. It's my opinion that the center and rear speakers do not need as high a quality amp as the front L/R speakers (there may be others who disagree, of course.).

The idea behind this is the best amp will feed the best speakers for critical listening and general 2-channel listening. The lesser amp will power HT only speakers. I invested more money into my primary amp knowing that I'll benefit more by using it with my L/R speakers. Overall, I spent less money on two amps than I would have on a single, very heavy 5-channel amp, and I have more flexibility.

As it happens, my current HT set up is just 3 channels (front L/R and center) while my 400R is in my home office. My rear surround speakers are languishing in their box due to an overpowering WAF (!!) issue.  :duh: Someday, we will move into a different house. I will make damned sure the next house has a room that can be used for HT without smacking head first into my wife's esthetic sensibility. As much as I love this hobby, I do love my wife more. 

I realize you are considering 2nd hand equipment, so your costs will be much lower than if you were purchasing all new. I thought I'd throw out my choices as an option to consider. No matter what you choose, have fun!

Michael

SRO04

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2015, 03:58 am »
Thank you for your input! If I can put together the right pieces at the right price I'm thinking of having two systems, one for 2.1 listening and the other for HT...

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2015, 04:15 am »
I'd go for the Cary / Simaudio combo for sound quality and reliability.

SRO04

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2015, 05:07 am »
Thanks Jarcher. I'm also considering the Cary Cinema 5 amp.

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2015, 02:10 pm »
I can appreciate why you are asking about this.

It seems that there are many paths to music/HT happiness, and the various configurations can all seem attractive for different reasons.

I have a room in the basement where my HT lives, and my 2 channel system lives.

I have run them as a combination.  I currently run them totally separately, but sharing the same space.

I find that for HT I can easily satisfy my needs with a setup, and it seems to stick.  I have no HT nervosa.

I do find that for musical satisfaction, part of this hobby for me is to try different setups.  I can admit this IS likely audio nervosa.  I am cool with it.

For that reason alone, I found that separating the 2 systems allowed me to meet my own needs better.

I may again in the future run a combined setup, I am not suggesting that it is impossible for 1 system to be satisfying for both.

Back to your own setup and questions.  I would think that the Salk speakers suggested would be a fantastic foundation for what you desire.  I would invest in amps that make them happy.  I recall that AVA gear works well with them.  I would use a receiver with pre-outs as my pre/pro, as that technology seems to evolve more frequently than that of amplifiers, and it allows for swapping out for better/newer processing easily while still fully benefiting from your amplification/speaker synergy.

True pre/pro's are great, but I don't often read that they actually process formats better than a receiver.  I usually read that separate amplification trumps onboard amplification.

Good luck with the hunt!

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2015, 03:58 pm »
My first "hi-fi" system that I personally bought with my first paycheck(s) (not including vintage receiver that my dad gave me as a teenager) was HT/music.  Shortly after I abandoned HT in favor of just 2.1 and was happy for many years.  Fast forward till today and I put together a really serious HT in my basement, while my dedicated 2 channel lives upstairs in my living room.   This suits my lifestyle well because upstairs, I am entertaining, hanging out listening to music, cooking, etc.   Downstairs I am usually watching movies, lots of concert DVDs/BDs or more seriously listening to music. 

I actually found that I like listening to music in my theater as much or maybe more than upstairs.  The newer processors are excellent, much better than they used to be. 

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2015, 05:19 pm »
I used a receiver for HT and Ncore monoblocks for two channel music. My only issue with this setup is that I have to swap speaker cables for the L/R. I'm considering adding a dual-source selector so I can switch amp sources more easily. Here is the unit I'm considering:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Y8MH3M/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

SRO04

« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2015, 11:16 pm »
Thank you all for responding! My journey the past few months has taken me from knowing a little to today knowing that I need to know more about my needs before I lay down my hard earned ducats. "Brain" says take your time, research, learn, "Heart" says buy NOW! Atiplasma, what Ncore mono blocs are you using? How would you describe their sound qualities? What companies are making the best D class amps? Names I've heard (but have not heard in person) include Merrill Audio, H20, Nuforce, D-Sonic, Wyred4Sound...

Austin08

« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2015, 02:48 am »
Don't forget there are many 2 channel preamps or integrates with HT bypass. These products will bridge the gap between HT and 2 channel music system.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #10 on: 11 May 2015, 01:02 pm »
Thank you all for responding! My journey the past few months has taken me from knowing a little to today knowing that I need to know more about my needs before I lay down my hard earned ducats. "Brain" says take your time, research, learn, "Heart" says buy NOW! Atiplasma, what Ncore mono blocs are you using? How would you describe their sound qualities? What companies are making the best D class amps? Names I've heard (but have not heard in person) include Merrill Audio, H20, Nuforce, D-Sonic, Wyred4Sound...

My Ncores are DIY with the Hypex modules. They are powerful amps with a neutral sound. Used built units come up for sale fairly regularly on Audiocircle.