***Desktop Speakers***

DeeJayBump

Re: ***Desktop Speakers***
« Reply #120 on: 31 Mar 2012, 01:29 am »
Those look great.

Thanks for keeping us updated on their progress.

How do they sound?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #121 on: 31 Mar 2012, 10:14 pm »
How do they sound?

Been thinking how to answer that genuinely .  I’m not one to say something’s awesome just ‘cuz I own it, and I think one needs keep in mind the original concept.  Low cost, easy to build, explore the possibilities of omni-polar in a desktop system and bettering my existing HK 2.1 system.

Along the way I get to learn a little something about speaker design and build something. The latter objective combines two things I really like…music and woodworking. It’s fun to share it with others of similar interest.

That being said, I’ll see if I can be objective about how these little guys perform. Without a doubt we bettered the system they replaced. They have surprisingly good bass response, it’s not high impact bass but it’s not absent. Kinda funny to watch the curtains behind them get puffed around by those little ports when I crank it up. The very bottom is being filled in with a Velodyne F-1000 servo sub that I already owned.

Mid-range is their strong suite; vocals are clear and crisp, guitars and piano full but not exaggerated. Drums have a nice snap and timbre. There is some slight chestiness or boxiness to the vocal presentation, but that could be the way I stuffed the boxes.

I think they’re largely accurate in the higher treble range, but lack  some sparkle that I’ll bet could be addressed with a rear tweeter…maybe someday. I have to remember we’re dealing with 3” (effectively 2 ½”) full-range drivers that cost $12, so it’s unlikely I’ll shame some of the other gear in the house.

They’re easy to listen to, but I won’t tell you they they’re the last word in imaging and dynamics, but damn good for what they are used for. One thing I’ll say is that I’m limiting them is some ways. Danny suggested I listen to them 4 or 5 feet out from the back wall. Not really able to do that in my office, but I did set them up like that in the shop where they certainly threw a much larger sound stage, really defying their size. I wish I had more real estate on my desk to spread out and lower them so they weren’t behind my monitor.  They noticeably flesh out when top edge of cabinet is just a tad below ear level. Right now they’re a good 12” higher than that and it kinda short circuits some of their strengths.

Overall a fun project that perhaps others will find interesting to build. It’s a fairly simple construction with low $$ investment for some pretty good returns.

A big thanks to Danny for his time and insight, too.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #122 on: 31 Mar 2012, 10:25 pm »
There is some slight chestiness or boxiness to the vocal presentation

I have often found this to be caused by the side walls too close to the back of the driver.

dave

DeeJayBump

« Reply #123 on: 1 Apr 2012, 05:42 pm »
Thanks, Peter.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #124 on: 1 Apr 2012, 10:00 pm »
I have often found this to be caused by the side walls too close to the back of the driver.

dave

Interesting.  Now that I think about it, many of the single driver designs I've seen have wider baffles that would give the backside of driver(s) more breathing space. I may experiment more.

After spending some time with these, I think I need to reinforce something I wrote in my assesments for anyone else that may build them. The difference in staging and fullness throughout their range is remarkable when I get my ears at or above the tops of speakers. Bass is more articulate and integrated. I questioned what I was hearing at first, but it's umistakably better.

I've been bouncing up and down between sitting and standing trying to figure out how rearrange desk to accomplish this. I briefly considered laying them down...it's that much of a difference! I think they might be surprisingly good in a more conventional setup (non-desktop), provided one doesn't overdrive them, they'll never be room shakers.

Danny Richie

« Reply #125 on: 1 Apr 2012, 10:29 pm »
When I measured and tested these the best response was on axis of the front facing woofer. That's your reference height.

jcotner

« Reply #126 on: 10 Jun 2012, 07:33 am »
Well two months on and wondering how these are working out.
Interesting little speaker.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #127 on: 10 Jun 2012, 03:53 pm »
Well two months on and wondering how these are working out.
Interesting little speaker.

Well, since they sit on my desk, I guess I'm best qualified to answer :)

My impressions now are much like I posted earlier. Ideally, they'd be positioned closer to ear level.

I did a little modification that seems to help my particular situation, but I can't speak as to why. I stood a CD case behind the upper woofer. I'm sure it introduces some reflection, but it gets them closer to the way they sound when my ears are in line with the top. I imagine I'm breaking some basic rule of speaker design, but the audio police haven't shown up, so life is good.

Don't get me wrong, they accomplished the goal, but I would be wrong to gush about their giant killer ability. I'm certain they perform better than any computer speakers I've heard. All in life is some kind of compromise, no? They would be better served in a bigger space, meaning less nearfield, but it is a desk after all.

Aside from the sound, I am really pleased with the way they look. Even cooler when paired with the reskinned receiver I posted about. So much do I like the crisp, contemporary style, that my next project will have the same look with a little twist...stay tuned.

If I were to build them again and had a little more space to work with, I might rotate them 90 degrees and center the drivers on wide side. I also think a rear mounted tweeter could add some sparkle, as Danny suggested.

Total dollar investment of around $100, I feel like I got more than my money's worth. I should add, though, that I already had the receiver and sub, so if starting from scratch that would be more.

Randall Kepley

• Industry Participant
  • Kepley Custom Cabinets & Furniture
« Reply #128 on: 11 Jun 2012, 01:30 am »
Peter Id like to say these look Fantastic! Your work is always top shelf as well as your execution of a project which many cant pull off. Most will be strong in their builds but lack in the finish or weak in the build but and strong in the finish, you have the ability to do both w/ ease. As far as the sound, Id love to hear them and Im glad you give an honest opinion on your take on them w/ out making out how earth shaking they are. Keep up the great work I always enjoy following your builds. R.K.

Plund

« Reply #129 on: 11 Jun 2012, 05:23 am »
I certainly agree with Randall...this was another interesting and educational thread!  I look forward to following your next undertaking. Randall, I enjoy seeing your work...also top shelf!  Are you two related?...twin artisans of different mothers?  :)
Pete

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #130 on: 11 Jun 2012, 07:12 am »
Aw shucks guys, :oops: :oops: how am I supposed to stay humble?

Randall, as I recall you're in California, right? If you're ever in Idaho, the door's open for a listen...and that invite extends to anyone who happens to be in the area.

Maybe I should build a traveling pair, although I'm not sure just how to implement that. Ideas anyone?

jcotner

« Reply #131 on: 11 Jun 2012, 08:32 am »
Let Danny do them the way he demos speakers.
That seems to work pretty well and he can
secure a deposit so at least you get them back.

BTW what drivers do you finally end up using.
I checked what I thought you used and Parts
Express says no longer available, unless I
looked at it wrong.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #132 on: 11 Jun 2012, 01:52 pm »

BTW what drivers do you finally end up using.
I checked what I thought you used and Parts
Express says no longer available, unless I
looked at it wrong.

Drivers here:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-819&scqty=4

jcotner

« Reply #133 on: 11 Jun 2012, 05:11 pm »
Drivers here:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-819&scqty=4

Yeah I looked at that and it says they are no longer available.
Guess if anybody tried to duplicate this they will need to use a different driver.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #134 on: 11 Jun 2012, 10:03 pm »
Yeah I looked at that and it says they are no longer available.
Guess if anybody tried to duplicate this they will need to use a different driver.

Well, duh I didn't see that...bummer.  And here I was thinkin that this might be a good project for a newcomer. I guess that's a risk one takes with closeout drivers.

If someone is interested in recreating these with a different 3" driver, I would offer to draw and build a test cabinet for 'em, If Danny is still game to measure and give calcs and sage advice, it could be the .2 version. 

Randall Kepley

• Industry Participant
  • Kepley Custom Cabinets & Furniture
« Reply #135 on: 11 Jun 2012, 10:12 pm »
Randall, as I recall you're in California, right? If you're ever in Idaho, the door's open for a listen...and that invite extends to anyone who happens to be in the area.

No, sorry man I couldnt be farther from California Im in NC.  :green:

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #136 on: 22 Aug 2013, 10:42 pm »
Danny, I wonder if you'd be game to help again?

I thought I'd get these tweeters for rear mounting when I order some other stuff from PE;

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=275-030

Would you be able to give me an idea of where to start capacitor and resistor wise to get me in the ballpark?

Danny Richie

« Reply #137 on: 23 Aug 2013, 12:24 am »
Try starting with a 1uF or 1.5uF cap value. And try it first without a resistor. If it is too much then add resistance until it reaches the balance that you prefer. You might add 1 ohm or so at a time to reach that balance.