uDac get hot?

Sparky14

uDac get hot?
« on: 5 Mar 2010, 05:14 pm »
uDac users, does your uDac get really hot?

I've had one since the 1st batch, and I hadn't noticed it getting hot before. However, today, I went to unplug the cable and it was REALLY hot.

It had been plugged into a PC, but wasn't playing any music, for 30 minutes.

DZetye

Re: uDac get hot?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2010, 05:55 pm »
On 2 different occasions mine ran hot and distorted in one channel.  I rebooted my computer and got rid of the problem.  This leads me to believe that the problem wasn't the UDAC

Sparky14

« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2010, 08:28 pm »
Hey, you are right.

I unplugged it, and turned my PC off. Came back an hour later and started over again, and it's back to running again with no heat.

Very strange, I wonder what could cause all that heat.

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2010, 09:04 pm »
uDAC has a linear regulator that drops the 5V from USB bus to 3.3V used internally.  As long as the uDAC is plugged in, this regulator is working continuously.

If somehow the PC goes unregulated say 5V swings to 6V, it could become hotter than usual, but I see no logical reason for any PC to behave that way though. 

Sparky14

« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2010, 12:32 am »
Thanks Casey, I'll keep a watch on mine to see if it happens again.

This one has a replacement board that you guys sent me, first one had a bad connection. I never noticed any heat spikes on the first one.

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2010, 08:48 am »
Another possibility - one unit has its regulator's heat sink touching the chassis (warmer) and the other one does not - hence cooler.

Sparky14

« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar 2010, 11:51 pm »
Casey, ok I got the hot uDac again today.

It was plugged into a turned on laptop, had been on for a few hours although I was only using it 15 mintues per hour or so.

Came back from a meeting, and the uDac was hot and wouldn't play music. I had to unplug the cable, replug back in. Close and restart FOOBAR, and then the music would play again. However, when I touched the case again, the music stopped.

I tried this path again several times. No matter how light the touch was, the music would stop, so there must be a short somewhere I would think. This is the same problem that I had with my last uDac that you sent me a replacement board. Note that after the plugging/unplugging, the udac is not hot anymore.

Any thoughts? I'd hate to have to do another replacement.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 11 Mar 2010, 04:50 am »
We have not heard about this problem anywhere else. Perhaps the problem is not with the uDAC?
It is highly unlikely that a 2nd replacement has problem. I think you should take this problem offline and contact support directly. There is no way to solve it here any further.

Sparky14

« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2010, 11:49 pm »
Will do Jason, sent in another trouble ticket this morning.

I was able to repeat the fault on another PC.

Thanks again for the help.

srb

« Reply #9 on: 12 Mar 2010, 03:03 am »
Same USB cable?  I know it's USB-powered.  Maybe a faulty cable?

Steve

Sparky14

« Reply #10 on: 12 Mar 2010, 04:14 am »
Thanks Steve, I'll try a different cable.

Next day update......not the cable, I was able to repeat the fault with the different cable. Thanks for the suggestion though.
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2010, 03:27 pm by Sparky14 »

Nab

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jul 2010, 08:33 pm »
It happened to me like 3 times in 6 months but i don’t know what provoke it.
Can you tell how you make it happened ?

Also im experiencing different problem
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=84048.new#new
can you check if it happens on your dac

Sparky14

« Reply #12 on: 2 Aug 2010, 08:53 pm »
Nab, I no longer have my uDac. But my "hot" problem was much more frequent than yours, as I'd get it every day or two.

Didn't have any of the bass distortion issues you mentioned. My two uDacs sounded great, when they didn't overheat and quit.