Source for Well Tempered Classic Cover.

robert_murphy

Source for Well Tempered Classic Cover.
« on: 30 Mar 2011, 12:38 am »
Thought I would let fellow classic owners know about a great place to get a new cover that beats the heck out of the original (if you could even get one).  I just recieved one from JMK Displays in New York and it is beutifull.  Below are the dimensions I had them make it to.  Fits great and it fist great on top.  Price was a very reasonable $148.80 plus shipping.  FWIW.

Length   18.75
Depth      15.125
Height   4.25
ID or OD   Outside
Material   3/16" Thick
Menu 1   L/R handles 1"Hx4"L
Menu 2   1 rear cutout - drawing with dimensions faxed

threadkiller

Re: Source for Well Tempered Classic Cover.
« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2011, 03:29 pm »
thanks, but where's the photo?

robert_murphy

« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2011, 03:54 pm »
Here is the pic.

threadkiller

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2011, 04:49 am »
Thanks, Robert, it's beautiful! 
I remember a few of the options available when I had my WTClassic, and none were as nice as this, at least what I remember.  They seemed very large, bulky, and almost ugly.

thanks for passing this along.....

wonder if it would work on the Amadeus....oh well, you can't have everything....

your Classic looks great! 

michael w

« Reply #4 on: 2 Apr 2011, 07:16 am »
That cover looks interesting.

All the other covers I've seen enclose the complete turntable.

These square motored tables are more correctly addressed as "The Well Tempered Turntable".
"Classic" was an appellation used on the later Transparent Marketing version with enclosed motor cut-out and round motor.

robert_murphy

« Reply #5 on: 2 Apr 2011, 02:05 pm »
Thanks for the clarification on model type - very helpful info.

It is due to the separate square motor placement that I chose to not enclose the whole thing and just make a sit on top cover.  JMK made the cover to my dimensions but they can make a cover to any dimension you like which means I am sure you could have one made to fully enclose or fit the Amadeus.  Also, I would like to make it clear I have no affiliation whatsoever with JMK.  I just thought they did good work and others might like to know about them.

phonocentric

« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2011, 09:08 pm »
Here is the pic.

Very nice looking cover there!   May I ask you how it remains stable?   Perhaps I can't see the hinges in the back.   Don't know if you would be concerned about a someone accidentally moving the dust cover so that it slides on the table?

I ask about this because I am presently having a dust cover made locally with 1/4" clear plastic like yours.   But I have asked the fabricator to include a small lip that runs around the outside edge of the dust cover so that the lip fits over the outside edge of the table and more or less locks in place as it sits on top of the table.  It will be clear plastic too.

The dust cover will not be hinged in the back but I thought it ought to be unmovable as it sits on the table.   Of course it can be lifted off and on. 

I am working with the Well Tempered Labs Reference Table and Arm which looks a lot like yours.   

robert_murphy

« Reply #7 on: 4 May 2011, 11:59 pm »
My cover just sits on top (no hinges) and is seams stable enough for me but I don't have any little ones running around anymore and I am pretty much the only one who uses it.  I do alway lock the tonearm just in case I bobble taking it off ot putting it on.  Please post a picture of yours when done as it sounds very nice.  Thanks.

phonocentric

« Reply #8 on: 6 May 2011, 03:36 am »
My cover just sits on top (no hinges) and is seams stable enough for me but I don't have any little ones running around anymore and I am pretty much the only one who uses it.  I do alway lock the tonearm just in case I bobble taking it off ot putting it on.  Please post a picture of yours when done as it sounds very nice.  Thanks.

Robert, I thought I would tell you that I sent a picture of your table's dust cover to the fellow who is making mine so he could get an idea of how I wanted mine to look. 

He responded he thought I should forget the lip idea running around the cover in order to lock it in place.   He said he thought he couldn't make it look as nice and clean as the cover you have with that added thin strip of acrylic running around the cover.   I agreed so my dust cover will sit on top the table like yours.  Like you I will have to be careful handling it. 

Can I ask you how you get the table itself to look so glossy.  I assume it is the same Fountainhead material I have on the Reference table?   If so, do you polish it up in some way?  It may well be that the Fountainhead material on my table simply hasn't got that level of gloss finish.

I will tell you if the fabricator I found locally can get that kind of look for the 60 bucks I'm going to be paying, well, I will be one happy camper.  Something tells me it won't look that nice.   We will see.