WT Amadeus VS WT Amadeus GTA (Aluminum Base)

Bobbywheat

WT Amadeus VS WT Amadeus GTA (Aluminum Base)
« on: 3 Apr 2011, 04:02 am »
Has anyone had a chance to compare the latest Well Tempered Amadeus GTA (dual layer aluminum sandwich construction plinth) against the basic Amadeus?

I remember reading that the original acrylic GTA had better looks, but not necessarily better sound. Can I expect the same with the aluminum version?

Much thanks,
robert

threadkiller

Re: WT Amadeus VS WT Amadeus GTA (Aluminum Base)
« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2011, 03:57 am »
Hi Robert,

all I can tell you is the dual aluminum gta makes for a heavier table than the dual mdf of the original.  I've heard both in different systems, hard to draw conclusions.  It looks to have a bit of flash over the mdf, as one would expect.  Maybe someone else who's heard both can give you something more substantial.

michael w

« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2011, 10:36 pm »
Any official word on the differences ?

Bobbywheat

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2011, 03:49 am »
I got an answer from the Canadian distributor. There opinion is that the standard Amadeus is about 30% better than the Simplex.  The Amadeus GTA (aluminum + acrylic) is about 30% better than the standard Amadeus.

threadkiller

« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2011, 04:37 am »
Hi Bobby...
sorry, just have to ask...better how?  plays music better, or just a slight improvement in some way...do tell....

Bobbywheat

« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2011, 06:08 pm »
Hi Bobby...
sorry, just have to ask...better how?  plays music better, or just a slight improvement in some way...do tell....

Hi Threadkiller,

I have no idea, I personally take it with a grain of salt. I should of quoted my reply since it was in response (just found out how to do this) to MichaelW’s post about “an official word on the differences”. Since I did get a response from a distributor I thought it was the closest to an official word posted so far.

This said I did purchase a WT GTA, but since I never heard the plywood version I can’t comment on the difference. To be more precise I am not even sure if it sounds good since my 2300$ ortofon jubilee cartridge is not compatible. The WT cartridge mount is to small to fit the 3 decoupling bumps on ortofon cartridges, therefore my cartridge is mounted on an angle decouple only from the front center bump. I get shouty highs. No good.

threadkiller

« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2011, 08:57 pm »
Howdy!
thanks for the sound difference response.  I guess maybe someday there'll be a shootout somewhere between em all to see what's what. 

As for your cartridge incompatability, that's the first one I've heard of...that sucks.  I'll have to have a look and see if I can find out any info for you.  Do the Ortofon's have different mounting styles?  The EMT's have different bodies, or maybe it's different mountings? for different arm types.  I assume it wasn't dealer mounted.