SoundSmith SMMC1 on Well Tempered Classic

robert_murphy

SoundSmith SMMC1 on Well Tempered Classic
« on: 30 Mar 2011, 05:10 pm »
I am a relatively new owner of a Well Tempered classic.  I am currently using a Grado Reference Platinum 1 which is quite nice but leaves me wanting when I compare it to my Rega P25 with Kontrapunkt a.  In looking at the attributes of the WTA it seams that it shines at being able to handle high compliance cartridges.  I realize there are many good options for this arm but in the interest of using a high compliance options that shine I end up looking hard at the highly rated Soundsmith SMMC1.  I am interested in hearing from someone who has tried this combo and opinions on other options.  My music tastes in order are Jazz, Classic Rock, and Symphonic Classical.  I do have a decent preamp that can handle MM or MC inputs.  Thanks.

threadkiller

Re: SoundSmith SMMC1 on Well Tempered Classic
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2011, 04:56 am »
Hello again!
I'll chime in here....give the Classic a good cartridge, and it would be my choice over the Rega, overall.
I haven't heard the Soundsmith.
The Dynavectors have always sounded great with any WT, depending on your phono stage.  Also really liking the EMT's, and they play nice with WT's also.

robert_murphy

Re: SoundSmith SMMC1 on Well Tempered Classic
« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2011, 12:01 am »
threadkiller,
Thanks for the kind comments on the cover.  I swapped my Kontrapunkt A over to the Well Tempered Classics and it is quite nice and much nicer than the Grado Plantinum was on it.  I was not sure how well the Well Tempered Arm would handle the Kontrapunkt as it is quite a heavy weight (10+ grams weight + 2.2-2.7 grams tracking force), but it is doing quite fine with it.  I am not sure where to go from here.  I may just listen for a while as I ponder about what I am missing out on that is worth the extra coin.  Thanks for the feedback.