why two well tempered companies

jrtrent

why two well tempered companies
« on: 13 May 2010, 12:41 pm »
Welcome to the WTL Circle! Both myself and Mike Thomson at WTL in New Zealand look forward to answering any questions that we can.

I'm just wondering about the existence of two different companies selling Well Tempered products.  I bought a new WTRP from Stanalog a couple years ago and couldn't be happier with the product and support I got from them.  According to a Stereophile article a few years ago, Stanalog acquired distribution rights from Transparent Audio, which had been manufacturing and marketing the line for a couple decades.  Why is there now a new company selling a somewhat different Well Tempered product?

Mike Pranka

• Facilitator
Re: why two well tempered companies
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2010, 07:26 pm »
Hi,
There's bound to be some confusion with this. There is in fact just one Well Tempered Lab company. It is owned by Bill Firebaugh and his business partner. Unfortunately, neither Transparent (for a good portion of their time producing the old 'tables) nor Stanalog have been authorized to produce the designs or use the WTL name. This is addressed briefly somewhere on the real WTL site, welltemperedlab.net. In a nutshell, Bill Firebaugh, the designer and owner of the designs and trademark, decided to form a new company to handle his latest designs rather than get lawyers involved over issues of the past.

Mike