GIK Room treatments and heavy curtains

OVfit

GIK Room treatments and heavy curtains
« on: 28 Dec 2022, 05:42 pm »
I am waiting to hear back from GIK regarding advice for room treatments. But then one area which is a large archway going into my media room, separate from my audio room, I would like to put some heavy curtains there to help with the room treatment.

I understand the heavier the better.
 There are a couple of websites that offer acoustic curtains, but I don't know if these are going to  be more expensive simply because they're "specialized". Would heavy curtains from a standard drapery company also be effective or is there anything special about the acoustic curtains?

Thanks.

JWL.GIK

• Facilitator
    • GIK Acoustics
Re: GIK Room treatments and heavy curtains
« Reply #1 on: 28 Dec 2022, 06:00 pm »
hi OV,

Thanks for your patience -- we've gotten a ton of inquiries over the holiday and we're getting back to everyone as quickly as possible.

I'm always a bit suspicious of "acoustic curtains". Not that they don't help, but most fabrics will absorb at least some treble. The question is how much absorption, and to how low a frequency. High frequency absorption is the one thing we can overdo when treating a room.

Strategies will depend on where the archway is, relative to the speakers and listening position. If it's not in a critical area then I would not prioritize it for treatments, and just use whichever curtain you like the looks of.

If it is in a critical area like a reflection point, then we'll probably want to use some freestanding device that is more effective than a curtain.

Once you hear back from the GIK designer, you can follow up with them for more specifics depending on  your room. I'm sure we'll get back to you soon!

JWL

OVfit

Re: GIK Room treatments and heavy curtains
« Reply #2 on: 28 Dec 2022, 06:14 pm »
Thank you!  There's  no rush to hear back.GIK was probably closed Monday so you have a shorter week plus perhaps people wanna get started on the rooms just after Christmas👍