Happy 120th Birthday!

SET Man

Happy 120th Birthday!
« on: 23 Jan 2022, 04:21 am »
Hey!

1902 Victor Type E Talking Machine.

As I was putting wood oil on my Victor Type E Talking Machine. I realized that this year 2022, its turns 120 years old! There's a paper label from the factory underneath with date "March 1, 1902" Owning an old machine like this have been one of my dream since I was young, and in 2006 I acquired this one.

It is beautiful to look at and makes me smile every time I put on a disc and hear sound recorded over 100 years ago. After all these years I'm still amazed that it works, all mechanical and acoustical! A needle wiggling from the sound to cut the wax... talk about the ultimate Direct to Disc! It must have seems like magic to people back then. And looking across the room I see my turntables and they are still based on the same principle, a needle wiggling in a groove!

Anyway, click on the pic or link below the pic to hear it Playing Bizet "Carmen - Prelude to Act 1" Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra, Conductor Leopold Stokowski. Victrola Red Seal 10" single sided shellac 78rpm date 1919. Is sound better live... well, for an early last century's standard of course, I used my iPhone 13 Mini for the video but I think Flickr converted and compressed the file. But it is still fun, enjoy!

Buddy

Nick B

Re: Happy 120th Birthday!
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2022, 06:07 am »
Thanks for posting. How great to have a rare piece like that!  :thumb:

SET Man

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2022, 03:23 am »
Thanks for posting. How great to have a rare piece like that!  :thumb:

Hey!

You're welcome. And beside a few super rare models, many of these old machines cost less than many people think. Even after I had it overhauled with new springs in 2008... after over 100 years one of the spring broke... it is still cost less than my main turntable and probably less than some of the people here spend on a power cords :lol:

Buddy

veloceleste

« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2023, 05:36 pm by veloceleste »

CELT in AR

• Space Doggy
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2022, 01:29 pm »
Very cool. Love it! But it sounds as if the speed pitch was set too fast.

Bemopti123

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2022, 01:51 pm »
Happy Birthday X120!

PS:  With all the normal artifacts from groove noise, dust and less than perfect medium, it would take a hell of ear for me to hear whether something is set too fast. 

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2022, 10:25 am »
Awesome!  Thanks for posting.  A very dynamic sound that captures an essence of the original event.

SET Man

« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2022, 02:15 am »
Very cool. Love it! But it sounds as if the speed pitch was set too fast.

Hey!

Unfortunately they didn't have a Quart Locked Direct Drive model back then.

I set the speed using KAB strobe disc. It is very tricky. If I set it at 78rmp after fully wounded it will slow down by the time it to half way. I tend to let it spin a bit before I set the speed.
    Anyway, beside that this machine is very old. Also I've read that the cutting lathes back then can be off by a few RPM also... can be anywhere from 74-82rpm. Crazy how far we've come since then isn't it?

Buddy

mahadragon

« Reply #8 on: 6 Apr 2022, 06:06 pm »
I'm sitting here listening to this old turntable and it immediately put me in the same kind of relaxed 'buzz' I get while listening to jazz music. That thing puts out some really relaxing sound. I don't know whether it was the philharmonic's actual music, or whether it was the presentation of coming through those speakers, but there was definitely something there and it hit me right away. My heart loved this music, my head hated it because it has a high pitch and sounds thin with no bass. Btw- love the little vue meter on the table, best part of the system, lol! You may have just inspired me to buy one of these.

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #9 on: 6 Apr 2022, 10:21 pm »
This one could be older. Sounds good though.