Rogers High Fidelity 65V-2 tube integrated

Daryl Zero

Rogers High Fidelity 65V-2 tube integrated
« on: 11 Nov 2021, 12:47 am »
Anyone have this or have heard this? I'm considering it for my Spatial Audio X5s and need some reassurance or some talking to.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: Rogers High Fidelity 65V-2 tube integrated
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2021, 01:18 am »
How much power do you think you will be getting with this amplifier?

Daryl Zero

« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2021, 02:51 am »
It doesn't have to be too much. These speakers are very efficient. 97db and 8 ohms. I think this puts out about 40 watts per channel. Should be plenty.

JakeJ

« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2021, 03:00 am »
Google is your friend

https://rogershighfidelity.com/65v-2-integrated-amplifier/

I think they are a bit generous with a 25 wpc output spec since this is Single-Ended Triode or Pentode Ultralinear but doesn't have a spec for power output in either mode.

This reviewer mostly talks about the amp's circuitry and features but not as much about the sound as I'd like.
https://theaudiobeatnik.com/review-rogers-high-fidelity-65v-2-amplifier/

If you could find one near you to hear that would be best.  If you are thinking about the one available on the Rogers High Fidelity website that one comes with a thirty day home trial which to me is a no brainer.

Just my $.02

Jake

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2021, 04:19 am »
As Jake posted, the in home trial period makes it an easier purchase, but beware that it is a low power single ended tube amp.

How Rogers got this measurement, "less than 3% at 25 Watt output", is a mystery.

This is what Stereophile measured with the 65V-1
"More power was available in Ultralinear mode, both with EL34s (fig.7) and KT88s (fig.eight), where a THD+N of 3% was reached at a respective 5.5W and 6W into 8 ohms. But the Rogers 65V-1 is undoubtedly a low-power, high-distortion design."

« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2021, 12:50 am by opnly bafld »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2021, 04:26 am »
With a single ended KT88 you're going to get maybe 12 watts.  With an EL34 it's going to be less, around 8. That's running them in Ultralinear mode.  Triode mode gets you less.

Don't get me wrong, the X5 should be able to play quite well with 10 watts, but don't be fooled the Rogers is not a 25 watt amp. 

It is very pretty though. 

Daryl Zero

« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2021, 05:07 am »
Thanks for all the responses.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2021, 05:19 am »
If you're looking for a really good integrated tube amp with more power I'd recommend the Cary Audio SLI 80 or SLI 100. 

JakeJ

« Reply #8 on: 11 Nov 2021, 01:46 pm »
You might also consider an 845 based amp.  The 845 will give you 22-23 Watts per channel of sweet triode love.  Something like this

https://www.line-magnetic.eu/en/products-line-magnetic-en/integrated-tube-amplifier-line-magnetic-en/lm-845ia-amplificateur-int%C3%A9gr%C3%A9-single-ended-845-2x22w-detail

I linked the mfr website but if you watch the used market you can find them for ~$2500.

Just a thought.

Daryl Zero

« Reply #9 on: 20 Dec 2021, 08:50 pm »
So, I found that Rogers sells on e-bay demos which have been thoroughly tested and brought back up to normal and significantly lowered price. He has a 30 day trial period with shipping as the only payment for sending it back. Reading Tyson's posts in the Spatial Audio area where he is describing low powered amps driving his X3s and since the X5s are the same speakers with a different baffle and a different sized powered woofer, I thought that the Rogers could easily drive the X5s I have. Plus they do claim a heck of a lot more power than what was described above. Also, the owner/designer of the speakers was very much involved and he has a lifetime warranty on the amp. I also tried to read the reviews (not much on V-2 but some of the V-1) and I had tried briefly the Reisong A10 (sent it back because it didn't sound that good but it had enough power to easily drive my speakers) to get a feel for the power needed and the sound.

One note, he sent a thumb drive with a manual on it but also all of the tests and results which really impressed me. Also, I had some hook up problems and Roger was available via email and phone over the weekend to help me get it sorted out. It turned out to be a stupid mistake by your humble narrator.

Well, it turns out power isn't an issue whatsoever. I don't think I've had the volume yet to 9 o'clock. In Ultralinear mode, that is blasting sound. In Triode mode, not as much but I'm finding that I prefer Triode mode more than Ultralinear. The main difference between V-1 and V-2 is, I think, the additional power.

The amp itself takes a bit to get used to as it (described in one of the reviews) feels like the switches are something from an airplane. I have to get used to the immediately standby mode and also that it automatically defaults back to Ultralinear. Fortunately, you can flip to Triode on the fly. I am getting a loud noise when I turn it off out of the passive speakers. I'm going to have to try to remember to turn the volume all the way down to see if that helps.

I'm using the EL34s instead of the KT88s because, again, focusing on the midrange and my reading on many forums and other resources seemed to say that that was the way to go. I also saw that some consider the Mullards which are the EL34s included are the top or one of the top brands which impressed me as well since it wasn't just standard low cost tubes included. I checked with Roger and although he said he wasn't familiar with the speakers, his estimation was that the EL34s were the correct way to go.

So far, it is everything I wanted. I heard Abomwell's Carver 275 play his orchestral music and some of what I like (I stuck mainly to Lloyd Cole & the Commotions for the beautiful guitar, singing and spaciousness of their early stuff) and, while it's hard to compare something with something you heard a few months ago, I think I'm getting a similar full sound plus details I hadn't heard before like Lloyd Cole's croakiness in his voice.

I need additional time to listen (only about 4 hours of listening so far) but I think this is what I wanted. To me it was a calculation of cost -- the huge discount buying the demo which was thoroughly tested and vetted along with the lifetime warranty were extremely important but also reading that SET amps have a great midrange to them and given that the SET amp doesn't have to worry with the bass because the X5s already have a powered lower woofer and that the AMT will take care of the highs, I wanted something that would make the mids sound great. The Triode mode doubles that and compresses or rolls off the lows and highs so they aren't overbearing. If that becomes annoying there is always Ultralinear if I want to just let everything scream.

Again, thanks for all of the responses in this thread. Very helpful.

« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2021, 05:26 am by Daryl Zero »

GeneS

« Reply #10 on: 20 Dec 2021, 10:45 pm »
I’m glad you gave the Rogers a shot! I hope it works out!! :thumb:

Daryl Zero

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jan 2022, 02:11 am »
I’m glad you gave the Rogers a shot! I hope it works out!! :thumb:

I decided to keep it. I had a local poster who has the same speakers come over to give me his opinion (he's the guy with the Carver 275 and works very hard to do room and frequency correction) to make sure I wasn't hallucinating and he gave me the thumbs up.

I can listen nearfield (about 3 feet or so diagonally) or back about 12 feet or so and it sounds great. I don't have much of a set up because of my office but once I retire, I'll work on room placement and correction.

Not much on the internet about Rogers High Fidelity other than the one review of this version and the couple of reviews of the previous version.

JakeJ

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jan 2022, 02:39 am »
Very cool and thanks for letting us know.

Enjoy