High Current Power Supply for Mac Mini and more.

Wayne1

High Current Power Supply for Mac Mini and more.
« on: 28 Oct 2011, 04:07 pm »

I have been working on a slightly less expensive linear power supply for use with computers used as media servers. Building from scratch raises the cost quite a bit. Buying cases and transformers in small quantities gets expensive.

I have found a good quality power supply designed to produce 13.8 volts @ 10 amps. The circuit used for the regulation is decent but uses rather low quality parts. I have gone into the unit and pretty much gutted it. All capacitors, diodes and a few resistors have been replaced. The captive AC cable has been replaced with an ACME Audio Silver Plated, Cryo Treated IEC. Same thing with the fuse holder. Film caps have been added for bypasses. All in all it has gone from decent to VERY good.

Not only can it be used for a current Mac Mini, I can adjust the output voltage to 18.5 so it can be used with 2009 Mac Minis. I have used it at that voltage with a CEntrance DAC Mini and WHAT a difference the power supply made. Background gets super quiet.. Dynamics are explosive. Bass is extended and high are cleanly delicate.

I would suggest this power supply for any use that calls for 12 - 19 volts.There is no mechanical noise from the transformer and it have enough heatsink area to run rather cool.

The cost for the modded power supply will be $450.00. It will take 2-3 weeks to get the unit, mod it and ship to you. Various forms of DC cables are available to interface with different products. Please contact me about pricing.