The set up for AXPONA 2018 looks awesome!

pack66184

The set up for AXPONA 2018 looks awesome!
« on: 11 Apr 2018, 12:46 pm »
Very impressive presentation, wish I could attend.

VON SCHWEIKERT AUDIO ULTRA 11 SPEAKERS

Von Schweikert Audio writes: "We're very excited to present the ULTRA 11s in conjunction with VAC / Valve Amplification Company, The Audio Company, MasterBuilt Audio, Kronos Audio, Critical Mass Systems, Esoteric USA, J-Corder Custom Reel to Reels, Aurender - Official and Acoustic Sciences Corporation.

For those interested, here's the official list for the Euphoria Room at AXPONA...

(Listed from Source to Sound)

Kronos Pro – Turntable – Kronos Audio
SCPS-1 – Power Supply – Kronos Audio
Black Beauty – Tonearm – Andre Theriault
Opus One – Cartridge – Air Tight
Rebuilt Technics 1520 – R to R – J-Corder
N10 – Music Server – Aurender
N-01 – Network Audio Player – Esoteric
Grandioso P1 – Transport – Esoteric
Grandioso G1 – Master Clock – Esoteric
Grandioso D1 – Monoblock DAC – Esoteric
Statement – Phono Stage – VAC
Statement – Line Stage – VAC
Statement 450 iQ (2 Pair) – Monoblock – VAC
ULTRA 11 – Loudspeaker – VSA
Shockwave V12 – Subwoofer – VSA
(used for active room correction)
Ultra Line – Interconnects, Power Cords and Speaker Cables – MasterBuilt Audio
Maxxum MK III – Racks – Critical Mass
Maxxum MK III – Amp Stands – Critical Mass
ASC - TubeTrap – Sound Treatment – ASC

BigSwede

Re: The set up for AXPONA 2018 looks awesome!
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2018, 01:29 pm »
Man, must be a huge effort to get all of that transported and set up. Wish I could hear it.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2018, 09:07 pm »
..impressive to say the least...tomorrow we attend...can't wait

htradtk

« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2018, 08:19 pm »
Enjoy the show everyone! This is just about the same setup that I enjoyed at the Capital Audio Fest last November! You are in for a real treat. Dynamics and soundstage is absolutely breathtaking! VSA and VAC really know how to assemble an amazing system! Hope to see you this November at the 2018 Capital Audio Fest! Henry

Jean Sibelius

• The Confidence Mansion
« Reply #4 on: 29 Apr 2018, 04:20 pm »
Will this also be the setup at the High-end in München?

Delacroix

« Reply #5 on: 1 May 2018, 02:13 am »
So, I've not been keeping up with the coverage of Axpona on various sites -- anything particularly interesting out there about the room and how it sounded?

mhconley

« Reply #6 on: 1 May 2018, 11:36 am »
The only coverage I found was on the AVS forums (http://www.avsforum.com/axpona-2018-audio-expo-blog-and-recap-part-3/):

Von Schweikert at AXPONA

@TuteTibiImperes says:

“VR11 Speakers, a ton of VAC tubes and preamps, a smattering of Esoteric gear, Chronos turntable… I don’t even want to guess how much this room costs.

“It sounds absolutely fabulous. Deep bass that you can feel in your body, sparkly highs, huge voices, detailed, sound coming from places in the room there are no speakers.

“This is an imposing take-no-prisoners setup and it delivers.”

Rather succinct and to the point.

Martin
« Last Edit: 1 May 2018, 12:49 pm by mhconley »

Delacroix

« Reply #7 on: 1 May 2018, 03:23 pm »
Thanks Martin. It's succinct and positive for sure, though I am not convinced that bass my body can feel and sparkly highs would be how I'd describe my perfect set up. I did hear informally on another list from someone in the industry that this was the best room they heard at Axpona. I guess TAS subscribers can read all about it in the mag in 3 months time!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #8 on: 1 May 2018, 09:01 pm »
It was actually one of the worst unfortunately. I've triangulated with about 5 sets of folks and all of us agreed that the highs were strident and it was overall not very enjoyable. I tried it twice throughout the weekend and came away with the same conclusion both times. Actually slightly worse than the sound at Capitol Audio Fest last fall. That wasn't great   but it was tolerable.  That's a shame given the mega dollars and impressiveness of all the gear. Oh well. :duh:

Delacroix

« Reply #9 on: 2 May 2018, 02:43 am »
Thanks Big Red -- good to have all views. Yours pushed me to go look harder for what's out there. Here's a sample:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/AXPONA_2018/Rochlin/GoldenEar_McIntosh_VAC_Von_Schweikert_Avantgarde_Kimber_MrSpeakers.htm

"Without a doubt one of the Best Sound At AXPONA 2018 is the VAC and Von Schweikert room"

Clearly, people can disagree.

Here's a general set of contributions over on the 'Gon:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/axpona-2018

sample: "The big Von Schweikert room was awesome just like last year."  "it was the sound that God listens to"....

I get it that show conditions are a curse but clearly we have some real diversity of opinion here.

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #10 on: 4 May 2018, 04:52 am »
You can't please everybody lol

Some show coverage

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/AXPONA_2018/Weaver/page4.htm

Just google

Axpona 2018 show reports Von Schweikert

mhconley

« Reply #11 on: 4 May 2018, 12:48 pm »
You can't please everybody lol

Some show coverage

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/AXPONA_2018/Weaver/page4.htm

Just google

Axpona 2018 show reports Von Schweikert

The writing in that article put me in the room with the reviewer... incredible; wish I had been there.

Martin

BigSwede

« Reply #12 on: 4 May 2018, 07:40 pm »
Nice review, although I would have thought that Greg knows what "literally" means, but apparently not. Sorry, a pet peeve of mine.

850 pound speakers... but how do you slide them out of the way for parties? ;)

Delacroix

« Reply #13 on: 4 May 2018, 07:55 pm »
Here's another short one -- staff writer seems to have enjoyed the room:  "Setting aside any reservations due to cost, I have to admit, I was very impressed" :
https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/axpona-2018-official-show-report.2658/page-2#post-22952

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #14 on: 5 May 2018, 02:25 am »
It was actually one of the worst unfortunately. I've triangulated with about 5 sets of folks and all of us agreed that the highs were strident and it was overall not very enjoyable. I tried it twice throughout the weekend and came away with the same conclusion both times. Actually slightly worse than the sound at Capitol Audio Fest last fall. That wasn't great   but it was tolerable.  That's a shame given the mega dollars and impressiveness of all the gear. Oh well. :duh:

..no offense BRM but we were there Fri and Fri night armed with my trusty DSD files with which I am intimately familiar and must say I came away with an opinion that’s 180 deg from yours.  You are entitled to your opinion to be sure however wrong it may be 😋...seriously I thought the system was masterful across the the entire audio spectrum...kudos to Damon, Leif and of course professor Albert..