any diesel VW owners (or experience)?

sts9fan

Re: any diesel VW owners (or experience)?
« Reply #20 on: 29 May 2007, 07:47 pm »
Delvac 1 is the only oil that will go in my ride and I would NEVER take it to a dealer to be fixed.  I am really spoiled/lucky because one of the major TDI Gurus is located not far from me.  I am eying me one of those Honda's also but I would only take it to the dealer for warranty covered work. 

Bigfish

« Reply #21 on: 29 May 2007, 08:45 pm »
I wanted to add to my previous comments about my experience with the Jetta TDI.  Back in 2000 my wife still wanted a manuel transmission as that is all she had previously driven.  She was driving to and from work, approximately 30 total miles per day, with total annual usage of 8000 to 10000 miles per year.  The red Jetta TDI was cute, fun to drive, got excellent fuel mileage and I liked the way the engine sounded.  Prior to the Jetta I had no previous experience with Diesels.  I believe the car was also available with an automatic tranny but even the VW Salesman thought the car was underpowered with the Automatic. 

Our car was equiped with power windows which turned-out to be the biggest headache with the vehicle.  The window regulators were made from plastic and three times windows from different doors feel down inside the doors requiring trips back to the VW Dealership for repairs.  After the second incident a class action lawsuit against VW was settled by VW agreeing to replace the Jetta Regulators with ones produced from metal - problem cured at last!

The other major complaint I had with the car is just before I got rid of it with 38,000 miles it needed a new battery.  I tried for 2 hours to remove the old battery and gave up.  I ended-up paying the VW Dealership $150.00 for a battery and replacement.  At the time I was having body work done to a company car and asked the owner of the body shop about replacing the battery in the VW Jetta.  He told me it was a P--- In The A-- and I was better off paying $150.00 to VW.  It was the only vehicle I have ever owned where I was uncapable of changing a battery (I am an old farm boy used to working on tractors and equipment).

My experience with the VW Jetta was that it was an okay car.  Typical of European Brands expect higher repair/maintenance expenses versus US or Jap produced products.  I believe the overwhelming reason to purchase a diesel powered car is for fuel mileage but do not expect gasoline powered acceleration.  I know you can install aftermarket chips to improve performance but be careful as they leave code tracers which my cancel your VW Warranty.

I will conclude by saying I love my F-250 Diesel Powered Pick-up (torque for boat towing and fuel mileage) but as long as I can purchase fuel efficient gasoline powered cars I will forgo another diesel powered car. 

Regards,

Ken

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #22 on: 29 May 2007, 09:06 pm »
Honda will bring their Accord diesel to US in 2008 or 2009.
I would like to wait but might not be able to.
Also keep in mind that U.S. Honda techs won't have a clue how to service a diesel for a year or two should a breakdown occur.

Isn't that true of VW dealers as well? At least that is what it looks like from reading the VW and TDI forums.
EG. most dealers don't know what oil to use and use the same as the gas engines.
Tom, VW has had diesels for decades. In my personal opinion, I'd think VW would have some very well trained diesel techs. I haven't read the VW and TDI forums. The new "breed" of diesel is totally different than old school engines and require a different training path, but VW techs would have been kept up to speed as the VW diesel program has evolved from the 1970's Rabbits etc...

BUT, I'm not a VW diesel guy and may be talking outta' my butt!  :o

Bob