More Car Questions

Dan Banquer

More Car Questions
« on: 1 Mar 2007, 05:07 pm »
Now that we have had a long, and by all appearances, a productive thread on fuel and additives, I would like to ask the professionals here about oil treatments.
As a consumer I am subjected to all kinds of claims, and quite frankly I don't know what to make of most of them. Do any of these oil treatments work as advertised? Are there some I should definitely stay away from?  Are there some that are beneficial for older cars with high mileage?
 Thanks in advance for your input.
             d.b.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: More Car Questions
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2007, 05:13 pm »
Is this for maintenance Dan, or are you having a problem with the oil?

Bob

Dan Banquer

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2007, 05:19 pm »
Is this for maintenance Dan, or are you having a problem with the oil?

Bob
Not really Bob; it burns a bit of oil but I think one would expect that at 140,000 miles. My mechanic has me on 5W 30 for the winter and 15W 40 for the rest of the year. From what I can tell the car really seems to "like" the 15W 40. I was really wondering about some of the extended wear, low friction, etc.etc. claims that the oil additives have. Are they real?
             d.b.

Levi

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2007, 05:21 pm »
Hey Dan,

140,000miles is not that bad but if you are burning oil, oil additive will probably not help much specially if you have bad rings.  Have said that, I would try a can of "restore" and call me in the morning.

Levi

Double Ugly

« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2007, 05:24 pm »
Check into Amsoil

Switching to their oil and lubricating products is the best thing I've ever done for my vehicles.

Dan Banquer

« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2007, 05:30 pm »
Check into Amsoil

Switching to their oil and lubricating products is the best thing I've ever done for my vehicles.

I would think it's a bit late in the game at 140,000 miles to switch to a synthetic oil.
                  d.b.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2007, 05:33 pm »
Dan, I'd be careful using "Engine rebuild in a can" / "New piston rings in a can" type products. Some can loosen the sludge/varnish in the engine and clog oil pump pick up screens requiring removal of the oil pan to clean. (older Saabs are notorious for this). Sometimes your piston rings are all but gone, and the only thing sealing the compression and keeping the oil where it belongs IS the sludge build up on the worn out rings. So if you go and clean the sludge out, now you'll REALLY be burning oil.
I've seen the two products previously mentioned work wonders. I've also seen them clean the crap out so well, that now your engine burns so much oil it smokes from the tailpipe (explain THAT to your customer :roll: - been there, done that).

How much oil are you adding between oil changes, and what is your oil change interval?

Bob

Dan Banquer

« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2007, 05:40 pm »
I'm burning about a quart between oil changes which are done at approximately every 2,500 miles. I drive a typical 250 to 275 miles per week for commuting. the car has been doing this for quite some time so this is nothing new.
Hope this helps;
           d.b.

Double Ugly

« Reply #8 on: 1 Mar 2007, 05:46 pm »
Check into Amsoil

I would think it's a bit late in the game at 140,000 miles to switch to a synthetic oil.
                  d.b.

You could be right.  It depends on how well you've tried to take care of the engine, and whether or not it's worn to the point of no return.

My recommendation was/is based on your expressed wish for a "extended wear, low friction" product, and I recommended a great one.  It just happens to *not* be an additive.

Bob's right, though.  No sense in spending the extra money for *any* product if all you're going to do is turn it into exhaust and push it out the tailpipe.

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #9 on: 1 Mar 2007, 05:50 pm »
I've always used synthetics, since my days of racing moto-cross and snowmobiling as a kid. I only use Mobil 1 in my cars, and have never had a valvetrain related breakdown. I use it in the tranny (manual) and in the differential as well. When you look at the parts up close, they show practically no signs of wear.

Conventional oils have come a long way though. I know a lot of people that use the hybrid synthetics as well.

Oil is the lifeblood of an engine, and it's cheap insurance. I've heard some bad stories of oil passages getting clogged in crankshafts and such with the "oil additives". I'd stay away from them.

Cheers

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 1 Mar 2007, 06:14 pm »
Dan, one quart in one oil change interval is nothing to be worried about. I would have no problem with that at all. Keep up the interval you've got. Looks like you're doing fine Dan.

I hesitate saying this (because of somebody reading with too much nasty stuff in their engine might create more problems for themselves) On the day I change my oil, that morning I'll top off my crankcase with transmission fluid and drive the 20 miles to work (remember I work at a dealership, and change the oil there). Transmission fluid is very high in detergent and helps wash out the nasties. Now, that being said....I keep my oil very clean and have no fear of loosening up any big chunks. Mainly I do it just to keep the varnish from building up. Plus I'm anal retentive.  :roll: :lol:

Bob

Dan Banquer

« Reply #11 on: 1 Mar 2007, 06:27 pm »
Thanks Bob; To tell you the truth, I didn't start to burn oil until I used Slick 50, and I don't think I will ever use it again. Funny thing is they didn't mention oil burning on the Slick 50 package as far as I can remember.
          d.b.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 1 Mar 2007, 06:29 pm »
I didn't start to burn oil until I used Slick 50

Case in point Dan  :roll: I won't go any further.....Don't wanna get sued. :lol:

Bob

Double Ugly

« Reply #13 on: 1 Mar 2007, 06:31 pm »
I didn't start to burn oil until I used Slick 50

Case in point Dan  :roll: I won't go any further.....Don't wanna get sued. :lol:

Bob

I feel for you, Dan.  I made that mistake once upon a time, too.

Dan Banquer

« Reply #14 on: 1 Mar 2007, 06:45 pm »
Thanks guys! I think you have answered my questions on oil additives. When I get my next car I will see about using synthetic oil.
                 d.b.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 1 Mar 2007, 06:50 pm »
If it's a NEW car, more and more are REQUIRING synthetic.

Bob

Levi

« Reply #16 on: 1 Mar 2007, 08:23 pm »
I always use synthetic Mobil1 oil.  It costed me $61 dollars everytime but it's worth it.  FREE carwash.   :green: