Bryston Turntable

garyalex

Re: Bryston Turntable
« Reply #80 on: 21 May 2016, 05:25 pm »
James,

Is that $4000 Canadian or US?  Will there be a way to easily remove the dust cover between listening sessions?

Thanks

Gary

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #81 on: 21 May 2016, 05:28 pm »
James,

Is that $4000 Canadian or US?  Will there be a way to easily remove the dust cover between listening sessions?

Thanks

Gary

Hi Gary

For now same price in Canada and the USA.  You should not really listen with the dustcover down as it may create a turbulence but we have taken that into account as we have designed a vented, non-resonant plinth. The plinth is designed to reduce any turbulence that may build up as a result of having the dustcover attached as well as the turbulence underneath the rotating platter.

james

garyalex

« Reply #82 on: 21 May 2016, 06:53 pm »
Hi James,

Thanks for the quick response.  I'd hoped that the US price would be around $3000.  Oh well.  Best of luck with this new product.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #83 on: 21 May 2016, 07:25 pm »
Hi James,

Thanks for the quick response.  I'd hoped that the US price would be around $3000.  Oh well.  Best of luck with this new product.

No sorry the arm alone sells for $2000 and the Bryston power supply would be $1000 on its own.

James

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #84 on: 21 May 2016, 08:02 pm »
Hi Gary

You should not really listen with the dustcover down as it may create a turbulence but we have taken that into account as we have designed a vented, non-resonant plinth. The plinth is designed to reduce any turbulence that may build up as a result of having the dustcover attached as well as the turbulence underneath the rotating platter.

james

I've never actually considered that before. Are there any studies/papers out there that examine the effect of turbulence on playback?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #85 on: 21 May 2016, 08:24 pm »
I've never actually considered that before. Are there any studies/papers out there that examine the effect of turbulence on playback?

i will try and find out if there are any official papers  - it is one of the things I was told from the 'experts' when we were designing the turntable that should be taken into account.

james

twitch54

« Reply #86 on: 21 May 2016, 08:45 pm »
James, congrats on a fine looking TT rig. I think at the 4k price point given the components you've assembled you should have a real winner !

Marius

« Reply #87 on: 23 May 2016, 08:29 pm »

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #88 on: 23 May 2016, 09:26 pm »
what i don't get is that the new technics 1200 is $4000 usd! that's absurd...i meanit is a beefed up 1200, but it's still a 1200 nevertheless. so now the bryston tt looks like a bargain!

techguy0192

« Reply #89 on: 23 May 2016, 10:51 pm »
what i don't get is that the new technics 1200 is $4000 usd! that's absurd...i meanit is a beefed up 1200, but it's still a 1200 nevertheless. so now the bryston tt looks like a bargain!

That has to do with all the brainwashed 1200 fanboys.

techguy0192

« Reply #90 on: 23 May 2016, 10:53 pm »
The turntable is interesting news.  If I had known about this a few months ago, I would not have purchased a Rega RP8.

Is Bryston shifting more focus to HiFi? It would be interesting to know the percentage split between pro-audio and home audio.

vegasdave

« Reply #91 on: 24 May 2016, 12:26 am »

true, and now most of them can't afford this new one....however, i am a 1200 owner, and i feel fortunate to have bought my unit when 1200s were plentiful and cheap.

vegasdave

« Reply #92 on: 24 May 2016, 12:33 am »
ugh..why does everyone seem obsessed with digital..leave it alone and just keep on working to make the table the best it can be..you know analogue sounding  wise. You want digital look elsewhere. This is about vinyl.  :duh:

agreed. and let's hope bryston sells enough from halifax to vancouver.

gene9p

« Reply #93 on: 24 May 2016, 12:46 am »

I tested it at the presentation show at Value Electronics..don't let the look fool you..it is NOT the 1200 you think it is. What Technics did was make a high end table designed around the look of the 1200. They could have made a table with a whole new face but wanted they wanted it to appeal to fans of the 1200 not to turn them away which seems to be the growing opinion. Underneath the hood of that VW BUG sits a Corvette 427 engine. LOL.

vegasdave

« Reply #94 on: 24 May 2016, 01:03 am »

I tested it at the presentation show at Value Electronics..don't let the look fool you..it is NOT the 1200 you think it is. What Technics did was make a high end table designed around the look of the 1200. They could have made a table with a whole new face but wanted they wanted it to appeal to fans of the 1200 not to turn them away which seems to be the growing opinion. Underneath the hood of that VW BUG sits a Corvette 427 engine. LOL.

really. how did it sound?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #95 on: 24 May 2016, 03:07 pm »
Some answers from engineering:

What about turbulence fro dust covers while playing an LP?

1. Critical enthusiast often remove the Dust Covers while turntable is playing.  The Dust Cover first of all add some good mass to the plinth of the turntable but if it is made like many cheap turntables feature, by extra light plastic, it may actually introduce some resonance.  Our Dust Covers are pretty thick and solid do not have that problem. 

The plinth has the ridges (rounded cut around the platter bearing/spindle and the motor to reduce vibrations comeing through the plinth. They are always effective  independently of the other design because the stop/stem vibrations go around.

Should you use Anti-Skate?

2. Very good point! The anti-skate is a force to apply to limit the centripetal force attracts the tone arms to the centre of the platter while spinning. But such force is dynamic because it is radial, I mean depending of the position of the arm (the tracks a ray) the force varies and the opposite force (anti-skating) should varies accordingly.

That's not possible possible, at least it is not possible to do it precisely.  Most of tone arms manufacturers simply apply a weight that being is a "static mass" works virtually fine in a single position but wrong in all others along the disc.

testing a well balances tone arms we prefer without that with but because we do not want to fight against everybody we supply the anti-skate system with the typical string & weight to anyone ask for it.

Kind regards & ciao
Maurizio Aterini
Production engineer
Goldnote

gene9p

« Reply #96 on: 25 May 2016, 01:22 pm »
really. how did it sound?

Really good. They used an Ortofon 2M Black cartridge. It's limitations was the the electronics used for the demonstration. A Technics integrated amp with phono stage and Technics speakers. Since it was sponsored by Technics we did not get to hear it in a true high end set up. The equipment was no slouch but not what any of us here would use by a long shot. It is beautifully built with a very heavy platter and is simple to set up with loads of features and adjustments. Everyone brought their favorite lps so I ended being the first one there and the last one to leave. So much good music.

I'm the old grey haired grey bearded guy in the photos...LOL

https://www.valueelectronics.com/Technics_SL-1200GAE.php

vegasdave

« Reply #97 on: 25 May 2016, 03:37 pm »
Really good. They used an Ortofon 2M Black cartridge. It's limitations was the the electronics used for the demonstration. A Technics integrated amp with phono stage and Technics speakers. Since it was sponsored by Technics we did not get to hear it in a true high end set up. The equipment was no slouch but not what any of us here would use by a long shot. It is beautifully built with a very heavy platter and is simple to set up with loads of features and adjustments. Everyone brought their favorite lps so I ended being the first one there and the last one to leave. So much good music.

I'm the old grey haired grey bearded guy in the photos...LOL

https://www.valueelectronics.com/Technics_SL-1200GAE.php

looks good! true, not nearly a high end system there, but i hope it sounded ok. from the way you are descibing it here, it did.

yeah, i have a Technics 1210m5g...it only cost me 500 bucks. is spending the extra $3500 worth it? i really don't know, but i'm willing to bet probably not, even with all of the new features and upscaled build quality. i think what needs to be done is to compare this new one side by side with a late model 1200 from before panasonic stopped making them. then, people can tell if the extra $3500 is worth it...i think it's a great idea, and if panasonic is up for it, then i'll have reason to believe they have nothing to hide.

in any event, i'll probably be buying the bryston turntable whenever i'm ready to upgrade...

gene9p

« Reply #98 on: 26 May 2016, 12:58 am »
That there is the problem. Had Technics released it as a whole different table I think it would be better received. Very poor marketing on their part. Too bad as it is quite a table.

vegasdave

« Reply #99 on: 26 May 2016, 03:47 am »
That there is the problem. Had Technics released it as a whole different table I think it would be better received. Very poor marketing on their part. Too bad as it is quite a table.

agreedl even at 500 bucks, it was no problem for me, as i save my money-and being in vegas, that's hard to do-but for college kids, that in itself is a fortune. so, we'll see what happens. maybe there will be a big outcry and the price will drop...