2100 watts into a pair of mains, insane?

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
2100 watts into a pair of mains, insane?
« on: 23 Jun 2007, 09:41 pm »
I went nuts, but wow did it pay off!

Previously I had a pair of Bel Canto S300's powering my custom GR MTMWW mains (A/V3 MTM section with a pair of M-165x on bottom, actively bi-amped).  I had no complaints with that setup, it was incredibly clean and detailed ... and I thought dynamic.  However I could literally turn the volume to max on my Parasound Halo C2 and want a bit more volume, so I went for a pair of D-Sonic http://www.d-sonic.net Magnum 1000S.  One 1000S per speaker, for a total of 2100 watts. 

It's hard to describe the impact now, it reminds me of my car stereo competition days.  The bass is so incredibly well controlled and powerful, all the hair on my legs tingles with just normal (not bass heavy) music.  The mids have more oomph too, and the treble sounds equally good as before.  Dynamics!  Holy cow, I knew I was listening louder, but didn't realize just how much louder until I started to feel a bit light-headed and realized my ears were ringing ... and that was at -2 on the volume control, a full 17db lower than I was listening before, +15 is max.

Point is, you can NEVER have too much power.  And at the prices D-Sonic is selling for, you can afford unlimited headroom!  And thanks to all this super clean ICEpower, I'm enjoying my GR's more than ever.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: 2100 watts into a pair of mains, insane?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2007, 02:43 am »
I hope others read this.

IMO sufficient power to reach 105 dB with a given speaker/room is minimal.  2100 watts/two speakers = 30 dB of gain.  With the mfr stated efficiency of 91 dB/w/m, you should get peaks of roughly 121 dB in a small to average sized room.  The only down side is how the amp sounds at lower output as typical listening would require less than 1 watt on average.

While flea amps can/do sound wonderful, they're almost always paired to a speaker/room that doesn't do justice to either amp or speaker.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Re: 2100 watts into a pair of mains, insane?
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2007, 09:17 pm »
While flea amps can/do sound wonderful, they're almost always paired to a speaker/room that doesn't do justice to either amp or speaker.

That's a good point, in my somewhat less-than-optimal room my system has always sounded best at levels that help to minimize poor acoustics.  But those levels can come close to reaching the limits of a typical 100-150 watt amp.  With this much power I get the levels I want, and still have tons headroom for transients.  The result is no listening fatigue at any level I've been able to stomach thus far :)