... a few Alpha LS questions

jonwb

« on: 3 Mar 2005, 04:49 am »
Danny, I have a few questions regarding the Alpha LS speaker. I thought I'd ask here because maybe others are wondering the same things  :scratch:

1.  Setup question... I understand that nominally the Alpha LS is an 8ohm speaker.  I'm thinking of bi-amping my Alpha's, so I'm wondering what the impedance is of the woofer and tweeter circuits individually?  I'd think that it'd be 16ohms each since the two circuits are paralleled in the crossover, but I'm sure it ain't that simple...

2.  Tweeter question... I noticed that one of the upgrades that you are doing w/ the new line arrays you're working on is implementing the PDR version of the NEO8 panels (with improved high freq. extension).  I am NOT interested in this immediately, but do you think that in the future you'd be willing to offer the parts & cross-over modifications needed to implement this version of the NEO8's in the (original) ALPHA LS?  

3.  Replacement parts... Now that you will no longer be selling the original Alpha LS in lieu of the new line array kit(s), what are your plans for supporting any service part needs?  Specifically, I'm thinking of the woofers.  I understand they were really only used in this application.  I figure B&G will be making NEO8's for a while, since other mfr's used those puppies too.  

Thanks...

Danny Richie

« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2005, 09:26 pm »
1. Setup question... I understand that nominally the Alpha LS is an 8ohm speaker. I'm thinking of bi-amping my Alpha's, so I'm wondering what the impedance is of the woofer and tweeter circuits individually?

There is not going to be much of an advantage to bi-amping these. Spend your money on one good amp, or set of mono-blocks.

I'd think that it'd be 16ohms each since the two circuits are paralleled in the crossover, but I'm sure it ain't that simple...

It doesn't work that way. Individually they are both in the 8 ohm range with the tweeter dropping into the 6 ohm range.

See the impedance curves here: http://www.gr-research.com/AlphaLS/measurements.htm

Depending on what resistor value you are using in the bass management system the impedance will vary slightly. See which one applies to you. They are all posted.

2. Tweeter question... I noticed that one of the upgrades that you are doing w/ the new line arrays you're working on is implementing the PDR version of the NEO8 panels (with improved high freq. extension). I am NOT interested in this immediately, but do you think that in the future you'd be willing to offer the parts & cross-over modifications needed to implement this version of the NEO8's in the (original) ALPHA LS?

That would involve a lot. The impedances are not the same and you would not be able to get back to the right impedance level with 8 of them.

3. Replacement parts... Now that you will no longer be selling the original Alpha LS in lieu of the new line array kit(s), what are your plans for supporting any service part needs? Specifically, I'm thinking of the woofers. I understand they were really only used in this application. I figure B&G will be making NEO8's for a while, since other mfr's used those puppies too.

Everything in your Alpha's are available and in stock right here, except for the woofers. The woofers are available from Creative Sound Solutions. I believe he is sitting on a couple of hundred of them right now and I am sure he will hold on to a bunch of them for a while.