Why are U.S. sellers reluctant to ship to Alaska and Hawaii?

RDavidson

Not sure where else to put this question.
I'm curious to understand the logic and reasoning. Alaska and Hawaii are U.S. states and have to abide by the same laws as the contiguous states. Of course shipping costs are higher to AK and HI, but if the buyer is willing to accept full responsibility, then why not ship to those states?

Maybe there's legitimate reason to not ship to there? Too much trouble? Bad experiences? :scratch:
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2019, 04:07 pm by RDavidson »

Sparky14

Re: Why are U.S. sellers reluctant to ship to Alaska and Hawaii?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2019, 02:38 pm »
I'm going to say...
(1) To get to Alaska, stuff gets trucked through Canada. And I do not want a moose licking my stereo equipment. And they will. They like it.
(2) Everyone is jealous of people in Hawaii, and we do not want them to have nice stuff.

Just kidding of course.  :wink:  I suspect it is just an unfounded sense of more of a hassle to get there.

mav52

« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2019, 02:43 pm »
You have any examples to Hawaii .. I've got a few friends in Kihei Maui and they get stuff ( furniture, TV's, Lawn Mowers, a car) from the US mainland all the time. Items coming from CA and the west coast to the islands  is easier to get than CA shipping stuff to my area in Fla.  OF course the freight cost are higher.  Now Alaska could be a whole different mater depending on where in Alaska its being shipped.  Roads, weather, location etc. could play a huge problem.  OF course if you have money, everything gets easier.

OzarkTom

« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2019, 03:04 pm »
We do not ship picture frames to Hawaii and Alaska because of the high cost. Plus if it gets broken,  we have to ship a replacement and pay return shipping. I don't understand how Amazon does it.

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2019, 03:06 pm »
Amazon does such high shipping / selling volume it doesn't matter to them. They also penalize companies / sellers for inadequate packaging.

RDavidson

« Reply #5 on: 15 Mar 2019, 03:08 pm »
But anyway...my question is more directed at private sales, rather than stores. If you go on Audiogon, for instance, you'll often see sellers state that they will ship within the US only, EXCEPT AK, HI, and PR. I don't understand this.

Early B.

« Reply #6 on: 15 Mar 2019, 05:49 pm »
You answered your own question in your original post -- shipping costs are higher due primarily to distance. There's a perception of a higher probability of a "shipping malfunction" since the package has to travel a greater distance. I live on the east coast, so shipping to Alaska or Hawaii is like sending a package to a foreign country. 

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2019, 07:14 pm »
You answered your own question in your original post -- shipping costs are higher due primarily to distance. There's a perception of a higher probability of a "shipping malfunction" since the package has to travel a greater distance. I live on the east coast, so shipping to Alaska or Hawaii is like sending a package to a foreign country.

That's not true. Because of some BS EU thing the US was involved in, China could ship stuff international for $1.30 via USPS while Americans paid $6.30 to ship something not that far.

I believe it was or soon be eliminated.

OzarkTom

« Reply #8 on: 15 Mar 2019, 08:16 pm »
That's not true. Because of some BS EU thing the US was involved in, China could ship stuff international for $1.30 via USPS while Americans paid $6.30 to ship something not that far.

They need to stop this for the US sellers. Some things you can buy on ebay for 99 cents or less from China and get free shipping. Nobody in US can touch that.

Early B.

« Reply #9 on: 15 Mar 2019, 08:20 pm »

Not relevant. The OP is talking about Americans in the lower 48 shipping to other Americans in Alaska or Hawaii. 

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #10 on: 15 Mar 2019, 08:41 pm »
Not relevant. The OP is talking about Americans in the lower 48 shipping to other Americans in Alaska or Hawaii.

If China can ship things to us cheaper than we can between states, there is a problem. It is revelant.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #11 on: 15 Mar 2019, 08:51 pm »
I believe it's mostly cost and time in transit.  If you are selling an expensive tube preamplifier for example, you want to get the money, ship and be done in 48-72 hours, received and everyone happy.  Ground service to Alaska from the east coast could take weeks. Then, if it's returned, a couple more. The longer a freight company has your beloved preamp bouncing on and off trucks and loading docks, the higher the likelihood of it being damaged.

If you've ever had an expensive piece of gear damaged in shipping, you know only the seller/shipper can file the insurance paperwork.  The seller can say he won't take responsibility for shipping, but that's not how it works. The seller is responsible for it. There may be some fine print at Audiogon about this. Buyers using PayPal have protection for getting their money back.

Still, I'd have no problem selling to folks in either location if I could get my price plus the insured shipping. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #12 on: 15 Mar 2019, 09:07 pm »
The PayPal ''protection'' in my country is a standard solution, just one and the same for all packages real one fit all:
The buyer returns the package to the seller with freight at his expense and PayPal will refund the amount paid.
This is a viable issue only for short distances, not for international freight. I learned it the worst way.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #13 on: 15 Mar 2019, 09:24 pm »
#48, please.

OzarkTom

« Reply #14 on: 15 Mar 2019, 09:30 pm »
It is not that way on Ebay anymore. Seller has to pay return shipping no matter if the buyer decides they don't like the looks of it. It is no wonder Ebay selers won't ship to Alaska or Hawaii anymore. Ebay is trying to stay up with Amazon.

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 15 Mar 2019, 09:39 pm »
it is a complete buyer's market.  Anyone selling used gear, especially quality used gear, would be in my estimation foolish to not consider shipping outside the US mainland.  If Paypal has become fraught with scams, which I have read, to pay by direct email modality or direct wire transfer.  I have read buyer scams foremost with Ebay. 

Almost a different topic.  Shipping freight has their own issues.  UPS is the worse.  I would ship with contracted rate, cash on pick up only to receive a second bill at 10x the price.  I have tried retaining a business account with UPS/FedEx and the quotes were out of this world.  I would always have to renegotiate a price after the negotiated price was set and package was delivered.  These antics drive my business elsewhere.  If anyone here has suggestions how to navigate shipping freight.

I always insist on shipping air economy or quicker.  You may insure used gear to any value you choose.  When the claim arrives you may find they will not cover it at all for being used. Best to not insure it at all and use those funds to ship express/overnight.

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 15 Mar 2019, 10:04 pm »
Although there are a few that wont ship to Alaska and Hawaii there are a lot of businesses that will still ship to anywhere in the world.

One reason China is thriving is that they will ship world wide while some American businesses wont even ship to there own states.

Parts Express will ship anywhere even though most of there parts come from China. LOL

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #17 on: 15 Mar 2019, 10:18 pm »
PE now is shiping to my country, but they charge the 100% Custom duties in advance and pay that taxes themselves!! Its not a funny purchase  :duh:

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 15 Mar 2019, 11:01 pm »
I have to ask, where do you live?

When I was foolishly married, I sent a custom Vermont Rocker (recommended) as a gift to my father n law in India---cost me 100% of total of chair plus shipping, plus some bribes to release from their customs.  Visiting there, I loved how there was a second pricing for foreigners.  I had a domestic flight for $50 revoked because I was a non-Indian, and my wife's ticket valid.  I paid an additional $550.  This also applied to other ticketed events.

Shipping and receiving internationally was the best it has been for last 40 years, then policies changed in recent years.  Now it is anyone's guess.  I get slapped duty fees for no rhyme or reason and no way to protest it.  Just pay and move on.

audioengr

« Reply #19 on: 15 Mar 2019, 11:37 pm »
I don't have any problem shipping to Alaska or Hawaii.  Never had an order from Alaska though.