A/V1+ connected to tube gear

neffer

A/V1+ connected to tube gear
« on: 15 Sep 2012, 03:19 am »
I have owned the A/V1+ 4 ohm speakers which are about 10 years old for over 5 years now and have hooked them up to a variety of integrated amplifiers and receivers in the past with satisfactory results. They sounded very good with my Adcom GFA 545, Proton 540D, and even my JVC receiver does a nice job driving the speakers but I couldn't get my Kenwood HT to bring out the quality of these speakers.  Tonight I connected one speaker to my PACO SA-40 Integrated tube amp rated about 15W a channel which has 4 ohm taps. In a side by side comparison to my Jensens Tri-ettes - 16 ohms, the A/V1+ came across very dark, blanketed (weak highs), and extremely  less detailed than the Jensens. In the past I tried a number of different speakers with the PACO and the Jensens sounded the best probably due to its woofer and the RP-103 horn. Question is - what has been the experience with other owners playing the A/Vs on their tube gear ?

cody69

Re: A/V1+ connected to tube gear
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2012, 03:41 am »
The first pair of GR speakers I made were A/V-1s that I have connected to a Jolida 302 that always make me smile when I listen to them. The mids and highs sound really good -- the bass is augmented with a couple of Danny's classic subs that pick up where the A/Vs bottom out.

Good luck finding the right pairing for yours.

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2012, 05:50 am »
That Paco integrated tube amp likes the higher impedance loads.  Not all tube gear is that way.  A different tube amp might give you the exact opposite results.

neffer

« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2012, 02:36 pm »
I connected the A/V1+ to two different Pilot Mono Consoles I have this morning using the external speakers taps and it does sound much better.  Danny is correct the PACO does like higher impedance loads. What still surprises me is how well they sound on my old JVC receiver rated at 70W at 4 ohms I bought new in 1981. I have my ADCOM system at another location but the three A/V1+ speakers I have along with a  pair of custom 3 ways, and an early HSU VTF-2 sub still sounds great after all these years.