overkill for Magnepan LRS?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: overkill for Magnepan LRS?
« Reply #20 on: 21 Jun 2019, 02:21 pm »
Was thinking that too as well as long as McIntosh MC312 has enough power.

Dan

Your room would suit the 3.7i very well. Of course your money and choice no one suggested otherwise. It is only talk for goodness sake.

charles

johnto

« Reply #21 on: 21 Jun 2019, 02:44 pm »
Agreed just trying to pass on some info the op may find useful before making a decision.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #22 on: 22 Jun 2019, 12:14 am »
Having tried my 1.7s in a larger room I can speak from first hand experience.
You have to size the speakers for the room and remember, the larger the speaker the greater the resolution.
Translation: what sounds just fine with the smaller ones won't work out too well as you go up the ladder.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #23 on: 22 Jun 2019, 09:46 am »
I also have first hand experience with speakers that are too large for a room!
I did have fun trying to make the 20.7s work, though.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #24 on: 22 Jun 2019, 02:26 pm »
I am really happy with my 20.7s in the small(ish) room I have.
The wall the 20.7s are near is only 11' 8" wide. The room is 11' 8" wide by 26'/27' long. 8' ceilings
Considering I am stuck with a huge (almost 9' wide) picture window behind the speakers... The sound is pretty balanced. (well, I like treble sparkle.. LOL)

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #25 on: 22 Jun 2019, 05:54 pm »
  One can squeeze any speaker in a room and be happy until they hear same in properly sized room and be happier. I did it with my Pipedreams for years. Room was OK but just too small for Pipes. When I heard same in larger room I knew then what I was missing. Until that day I would have still been happy with previous set up but after change much happier. Size matters.

charles

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 22 Jun 2019, 09:00 pm »
Elizabeth,
What did it for you is the length of the room.
I needed another 6' so off they went. 
Maybe someday after I retire I'll be able to give them another go.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #27 on: 22 Jun 2019, 10:18 pm »
Elizabeth,
What did it for you is the length of the room.
I needed another 6' so off they went. 
Maybe someday after I retire I'll be able to give them another go.
Yeah.. current place now 12 years plus. The 'living room' is kind of merged into the hall to front door, with a closet between the hall and the kitchen which is two feet deeper past the 3 ft width of the dual closet (one face hall, one faces kitchen space) The bulge of the closet is directly behind the middle of the listening space.
The kitchen opens a bit further to the left behind (along with the hall to the bed and bath rooms.) but that is really not too important since that is already ten feet back from the speakers, and the left living room wall extends three feet back of my listening position, which is right in the middle of the whole space. One big plus is the whole building is really quiet. all old codgers. One way I can tell if the bass is too loud is in the bathroom, which is far enough away to develop low tones rather well. If no rumble or boom boom in there.. no sweat, the bass tones are not going into others apartments. A few years ago I asked he manager is any complaints, and he said no one ever said anything, and he himself never heard anything, when passing my door either. So I feel pretty good about keeping it toned down

My last apartment (17 years) was very similar, except the kitchen was directly behind the living room, and only had a partial low wall separating it from living room, so that too made that room bigger being able to use the kitchen space as if part of the listening area. In that apt I sat close in front of the little wall so the chair back was pretty much right at it. That was when I was younger, and I blasted music some times, and so did others...

miatadan

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 25 Jun 2019, 12:42 am »
see this review:
https://novo.press/mcintosh-labs-mc312-power-amplifier-review-one-of-the-best-amplifiers-of-2019/

This is why I thought getting another pair of Magnepan MG1.7i.

Just never had the MG3.7i and larger to compare.

Will not know for about a month actual room size. Worried that moving from private detached home to apartment means not being able to play music at louder volumes.

Apartment unit will be on main floor at one end of building with laundry room across from hallway with office next to my unit.

Dan

johnto

« Reply #29 on: 25 Jun 2019, 01:08 am »
I will depend on the volume you like and how good the soundproofing betwern units is. The good thing with Maggie's is you can go with or without a sub or adjust the sub volume when using.