About John Casler's RM30 Tallboy Idea w.r.t. the RM40s

ctviggen

Last night, I listened to my RM40s for the first time in a long while.  I was not sitting on center.  What I noticed, though, was that I heard most of the midrange from the upper two midrange panels of the RM40s.  Is the tweeter also higher on the RM40s than on the RM30s?  I'm going to try a test this weekend to cover the lower two midrange panels and see how much of the sound appears to come from the upper midrange panels and vice versa.   I'll be interested to see what I lose when I cover the lower panels.  So, I think the tallboy idea for the RM30s is "built into" the RM40s.

As an aside, the RM40s are really kicking out the bass.  I no longer have my QSC amp (one channel appears blown) driving my two Largers, so I'm now just with the RM40s.  I also just recently finally added two substands from ASC under my subs.  Even though the subs aren't playing, the substands/traps really help to tighten the bass.  I'm still lacking in bass trapping, though, as I only have two Mondo Traps from Realtraps and the substands.  I also still have yet to dial in the RM40s after the midwoofer upgrade, so I can tell the left speaker is boomy (the right one, which I did attempt to dial in, is closer and much tighter).  Anyway, even without dialing them in, the RM40s are producing way more bass than I thought they could, even though they're well away from any side wall.

jermmd

« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2005, 02:13 pm »
Bob,

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the RM40's need no bass augmentation. I heard your speakers before the traps and the midwoofer upgrade and I thought the bass was outstanding.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2005, 03:45 pm »
Bob,

You might as well wait for the new PR required for the CDWG to dial in the putty.

mlawson66

RM30 Tallboy or lowered listening position
« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2005, 09:29 pm »
Hi fellow VMPS addicts,

I've been away for a while on business and vacation. I'm home from work today on a sick day. When last I posted, it was about NuForce amps and RM30s. I'm not quite up to rewiring my system so that one side is NuForce and the other is Son of Ampzilla today but since I'm feeling crappy anyway, I just slid my sickly butt down to the carpet and to test out this tall boy notion.

Man, it was just about like putting on a set of headphones. All of a sudden, there is this soundstage extending all the way behind me. John C and Big B, please take note. The RM30s take on a whole new life once the mid-mid pannel is the vertical center of the soundstage. For my ears, the trebles actually came up a dB or so and the bass gained presense as well. The mids became more articulate and the soundstage actually wrapped around behind me. I don't thinkg this is just fever hallucinations  :tempted: my RM30s gained a whole new life just by lowering the listening position a bit. When I feel better, I'll make some boxes to sit the RM30s on, my couch is 16 inches high. That seems to be the perfect height. So, my new wet dream *that I could actually afford some day* speaker is the RM35. It sticks with the vertical alignment theme of the RM30 but adds 1 tweet, 1 mid panel, 2 mid basses and upgrades the sub to a 12 or 15 inch monster. The whole speaker is about 18 inches taller.  I don't know, I'm jst having fever dreams now. I'm just hoping my speaker fairy is sharing the same dream.

KJ

« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2005, 10:10 pm »
Quote from: ctviggen
Is the tweeter also higher on the RM40s than on the RM30s?

By all appearances the RM40's tweeter is lower.  I just measured from the floor to the bottom of my tweeter on the RM30 - 43.5 inches.  Maybe someone can check the RM40 real quick to compare.

-KJ

John Casler

Re: RM30 Tallboy or lowered listening position
« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2005, 10:29 pm »
Quote from: mlawson66
Hi fellow VMPS addicts,

I've been away for a while on business and vacation. I'm home from work today on a sick day. When last I posted, it was about NuForce amps and RM30s. I'm not quite up to rewiring my system so that one side is NuForce and the other is Son of Ampzilla today but since I'm feeling crappy anyway, I just slid my sickly butt down to the carpet and to test out this tall boy notion.

Man, it was just about like putting on a set of headphones. All of a sudden, there is this soundstage ex ...

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear your not on top of your game.

But glad to hear you like my TallBoy.

I have to say, it was the best single improvement to my system (and it didn't cost as much as a new preamp, CDP, or amplifiier)

Here are some stands I have found for those who wish to make a TallBoy RM30.

Tweaker

« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2005, 10:59 pm »
mlawson66 wrote:

the trebles actually came up a dB or so and the bass gained presense as well.

The bass presense gain is always going to occur when you move closer to the floor (or a wall), I doubt it will   be there if you raise the speaker up by very much. I'm wondering if just tilting the speaker back by a few degrees might not produce a similar result (except for the bass). I have my RM2s tilted back on two different sized spikes and the impovement has been remarkable.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 27 Oct 2005, 11:03 pm »
Quote from: jermmd
Bob,

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the RM40's need no bass augmentation. I heard your speakers before the traps and the midwoofer upgrade and I thought the bass was outstanding.

Sorry  Joe, but I disagree on this one.

While the RM 40's are an excellent speaker, they really need the Larger subs for the lowest bass and to really fill a room with impact.

My room was good sized (25'x18'x7') so please take that into account.

George

John Casler

« Reply #8 on: 27 Oct 2005, 11:28 pm »
Quote from: Tweaker
mlawson66 wrote:

the trebles actually came up a dB or so and the bass gained presense as well.

The bass presense gain is always going to occur when you move closer to the floor (or a wall), I doubt it will   be there if you raise the speaker up by very much. I'm wondering if just tilting the speaker back by a few degrees might not produce a similar result (except for the bass). I have my RM2s tilted back on two different sized spikes and the impovement has been remarkable.

Hi Tweaker,

Some have posted good results by tilting the RM1s and RM2 back, but I think overall that the best result is from raining the speaker which accomadates the hearing angle I mentioned in earlier posts.

You might try raising yours (if you can find something strong enough) and see what it does.

Tweaker

« Reply #9 on: 27 Oct 2005, 11:38 pm »
You might try raising yours (if you can find something strong enough) and see what it does.

I can't, I'm married. :lol:

mca

« Reply #10 on: 28 Oct 2005, 01:04 am »

Where did you find the stands?

John Casler

« Reply #11 on: 28 Oct 2005, 02:28 am »
Quote from: mca

Where did you find the stands?

I offer them.  I'll PM you the price