Zero Autoformers

hmen

Zero Autoformers
« on: 18 May 2004, 02:13 pm »
Has anyone ever used Zero autoformers with VMPS speakers? I just bought a pair of Atma-sphere M60's on Agon. According to the Atma-sphere website the M60's will only put out 45 wpc into 4 ohm (My RM2's) but if I use the autoformer to change the load to 16 ohm I'll get 75 wpc. Is this safe for the speakers? Will it void my warranty or blow my house up? Will it make a noticeable difference in the performance of my speakers? Any help would be appreciated.

JoshK

Zero Autoformers
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2004, 02:44 pm »
I think you would be defeating the design goal of the Atmasphere (Ouput Transformerless design) amp.   The autoformer is a transformer, the amp is designed to do away with the transformer so as to be a purer signal.  Transformers are a LOT of added wire in the signal.  Just something to consider.  

Are you going to biamp?  If you put a nice pro audio amp in the bass section the 45 wpc of the ATMAs into 4R would probably suffice.

Jay S

Zero Autoformers
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2004, 03:18 pm »
Makes you wonder about transformers being used as output stages in cd players (though capacitors in your usual output stage do have lots of wire in them too).  Maybe the purest (low level) output stage is one based on very linear tubes like the 6H30?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Zero Autoformers
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2004, 03:34 pm »
I talked to Paul Spetz (who makes the zero autoformers) about using his product with my Kora Cosmos Reference mono blocs and my RM 40's.  He thought it would work well, but I decided not to go this route.

I did also talk with Brian and he said you could absolutely biamp the 40's with tubes on the mids/treble and a good pro ss amp on the woofers (like QSC, Crown, etc...)

If I remember correctly isn't there an audition period for the zero autoformers?  If so, just try it and see how it works.  

I have owned the M60's and they are very nice amps.

George

ajy55906

M60s
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2004, 03:41 pm »
I bought the autoformers to run my 4 ohm maggies together with my m60s.  It is a great combination.  It also helps my 8 ohm Silverline Sonatas.

I have no experience with your speakers - but M60s and 4 ohm speakers need zeros.

They are a great combination.  You should look at all of Paul's testimonials on his web site.

Alan