DSD Database project including SACD Ripping Guide, etc

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
I am making this thread a sticky so it sits at the top of our HiRez Circle.

I am pleased to announce the expanding DSD Database Project that Jesus R (Sonore US) first created, and has asked for my ongoing assistance/co-development.  The large link is below and takes you to Google Docs. This database started off as a listing of all DSD-capable DACs and has expanded way beyond that, to include DSD download sites, education sites, etc.

DSD DATABASE PROJECT

It is a living document that continues to expand, almost daily. 

The latest update includes a table of DSD recording labels' downloads sites, and their provenance (i.e where did the source come from) that is being created and maintained with the help of renowned Grammy-nominated record label owner, producer and recording engineer Cookie Marenco (Blue Coast Records).

Also, I have revamped my own SACD Ripping Guide Version 3.0 in this project.  The link is near the bottom of the document.  What makes this new version of the personal SACD library Ripping Guide (with revamped bat file naming, better workflow, updated DSD info, a couple better pics, etc) even nicer is that it includes, right in the document, the dropbox links to all the tools and software apps required to get going (PS3 keys, firmware, PS3 ripper, extraction apps, etc).

Please help us keep this DSD Project accurate and alive by simply PMing me, or adding information to this thread.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: 6 Aug 2016, 01:20 am by ted_b »

gman

Re: DSD Database project including SACD Ripping Guide, etc
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2013, 12:12 am »
Thanks Ted for all your efforts on this and on creating and updating the SACD Ripping Guide!  :D

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2013, 12:41 am »
Thanks Ted for all your efforts on this and on creating and updating the SACD Ripping Guide!  :D

+1!!!!  Can't thank you enough for your contributions

mikeeastman

« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2013, 01:14 am »
+1  :thumb: :thumb:

sl_1800

« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2013, 01:22 am »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 7 Mar 2013, 01:27 am »
Gang,
I really appreciate the kind words (and thumb ups).  But I didn't make this thread to get appreciation, I did it to tell everyone how well this DSD thing has taken off!!  :)

Thanks....let me know what database info we need to add...

this_is_vv

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jul 2013, 05:40 am »
this is nice...and here i am looking to get a TEAC for starting...

KGREK

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jul 2013, 05:02 am »
Thanks....let me know what database info we need to add...

A column for DAC chip would be helpful in the database...

There was one more promissing DSD-ready device "Rasteme UDAC32RD" http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20130520_600091.html, but it looks like the company went bankrupt soon after release of UDAC32RD...

Sequerra

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jul 2013, 08:44 pm »
 :cry: I confess , I'm pretty much a computer illiterate but I did follow the instructions of SACD Ripping Guide 3.0 ( Thanks , Ted ! ) and everything went smoothly until the installed Ripper's request for Keys . I inserted a thumb drive " Untitled- ps3free-ps3keys " with 125 items , pressed OK but they do not install . Inserting an SADC moves directly to Music without a Ripper option . I've been trying stuff for days and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong . Any help/suggestions/etc. will be most gratefully appreciated . Thanks.

ALarryR

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jul 2013, 08:45 pm »
Many many thanks to Ted for the excellent Ripping Guide.  I downloaded the guide but noticed that the first link: ISO2DSD returns a page not found error.  The other links further down in the document seem to work fine.  Is there an updated link for ISO2DSD?
Many thanks,

tubesguy2

« Reply #10 on: 7 Dec 2013, 04:07 pm »
Hmm - thought this list used to include the Acko and Twisted Pear options, but that info is gone.  Found it in issue 65 of Positive Feedback, what looks to be a prior version of this list.

rbbert

« Reply #11 on: 8 Dec 2013, 06:56 pm »
So I'm curious.  We know that pS3 rips of SACD's aren't perfect at track boundaries which are not at zero crossing points (like most discs where some music is continuous across two or more tracks), and we know that converting any SACD rip to PCM (using Saracon at least) puts some blank segments at the beginnig and end of each track.  How do you deal with those problems if you are listening to the DSD rip of the SACD, with the difficulty of editing DSD files (outside of pro workstations)?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 8 Dec 2013, 07:12 pm »
So I'm curious.  We know that pS3 rips of SACD's aren't perfect at track boundaries which are not at zero crossing points (like most discs where some music is continuous across two or more tracks), and we know that converting any SACD rip to PCM (using Saracon at least) puts some blank segments at the beginnig and end of each track.  How do you deal with those problems if you are listening to the DSD rip of the SACD, with the difficulty of editing DSD files (outside of pro workstations)?

?? DSD rips of SACDs are fine.  if you are worried about the tiniest of clicks that a DSF rip may include (which are undectable during continuous music and slightly detectable on some PCM/DSD dacs....my Meitner is dead quiet) then do DFF rips (and convert to DSF if ya want) or choose a player that handles  ISO playback (JRiver, for example).

rbbert

« Reply #13 on: 8 Dec 2013, 07:22 pm »
So it's only in the conversion of PS3 SACD rips to PCM where there is a problem then?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 8 Dec 2013, 07:42 pm »
So it's only in the conversion of PS3 SACD rips to PCM where there is a problem then?

Describe the problem you are hearing?  If it is the slight click at the end of a track (where there is silence tween songs) then what I describe above is a solution.  I have yet to have it affect my listening on any DSD-capable DAC I've heard (and I'm picky and have a highlu resolving system), and on some (Meitner, Lampi) it is silent.  Yes, there are pops on some DACs when you start the DSD or DSD128 playback (coming from PCM) but that is simply a sample rate change anomaly.  DSD to PCM is often a poor sonic solution if your DAC handles DSD better than PCM, but can be ok if your DAC is much better at PCM than DSD.  However, I am not a fan of conversion from DSD to PCM.  I find it to cloud the music.

rbbert

« Reply #15 on: 9 Dec 2013, 12:10 am »
I don't have the Internet links handy, although I know this has been discussed in a number of places and is well-known to those who are familiar with DSD> PCM audio conversion.  All the track boundaries in the PCM files need trimming, but without the trimming most of the audible problems are only with tracks that run continuously.

dminches

« Reply #16 on: 9 Dec 2013, 04:05 pm »
I am not sure what this would have to do with PS3 since all that does it create an ISO file. And then individual DSD files are created. There are a number of programs that perform DSD to PCM conversions so maybe one of them is faulty.

I can't say that I have noticed any clicks in the 100+ SACDs that I have ripped.

thestewman

« Reply #17 on: 9 Dec 2013, 11:09 pm »
Ted_b

I find no internet links to any of the items in the data base. My problem or is it your database ?

thestewman

« Reply #18 on: 12 Dec 2013, 05:05 pm »
^

My error. I just noticed that if you scroll to the far right there is a column with links for each entry

scan80269

« Reply #19 on: 31 Aug 2014, 06:38 pm »
Hi Ted,

Just a quick note to say my AURALiC VEGA DAC can play both DSD64 & DSD128 via DoP, and my Oppo HA-1 can play DSD64, DSD128 and DSD256 via either Native or DoP setting.  I tested both units using USB interface only, with Foobar2000 player.

The Oppo HA-1 also managed to play a multi-channel DSD64 file, though I'm not sure how it does the down-mixing.