Just bought new Samsung DVD player with upconversion!

jackman

I just hooked up my new Samsung DVD player with upconversion (to 1080 with DVI interface with included DVI cable!).  It's pretty sweet.  Also plays SACD's and DVD-A's.  Haven't checked it out on music (don't plan to use it as a music player) but the DVI upconversion is pretty slick.  It plays DVD's at HDTV resolution.  

I don't own any SACD's and don't plan to buy any, but as a general video player, this machine is pretty slick.  Picked it up at Best Buy in an "open box" sale.  Only thing, this box was on the table and did not appear to have ever been opened!  The kid was marking things down for a special sale and although the clearance price tag said $179, he let me have it for $100.  It's pretty cool looking with a great remote.

Here is a picture:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-HVUOhwIKIv8/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=54400&id=essential_info&i=305DVDH841

Woodsea

« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2004, 02:02 am »
I bought mine open box for $124  a little over a month ago.  Both SACD and DVD-A sound wonderful.  This is a great machine and the picture even w/o upconversion is outstanding.  DTS with 'Hell freezes over' and 'Magikat' are wonderful as well without glitches.  You should check-out what this player is capable.
Have a good time,
Eric

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2004, 02:17 am »
Interesting...

Hometheaterhifi.com has an extensive battery of tests that they put the dvd players they review through and this model didn't score very well:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all&type=&manufacturer=27&maxprice=0&deInt=0&mpeg=0

Here is the complete rankings:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all&type=&manufacturer=0&maxprice=0&deInt=0&mpeg=0

I haven't seen the output of the player, but I always wondered how well could you expect a $200 dvd player to scale things?  People pay thousands of dollars for scalers that do a good job.

What tv or pj are you guys using the player with?  

What other players have tried?

I currently use a modified Panny RP-91 (connected to a Marantz VP12S1 pj) and a stock Panny XP-30 (connected to a Panny EDTV plasma).

Not trying to rain on anybody's parade, but more trying to see where you are coming from since many of my own tests have produced very similar results to the shootout.

George

Levi

« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2004, 02:21 am »
Which model did you get.  I have the HD-1000 and it weights 40Lbs!  Picture is excellent, Colors vibrant and more detailed.

Jay S

« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2004, 03:19 am »
Glad you are happy with your new Samsung!  In case you get interested, EVS is very positive on these machines and feel you can get excellent sound quality for just $300 in mods.

http://www.tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Modifications_to_SACD,_etc.html

Ric believes the Samsung (and the similar Toshiba) are a better platform for mods than the Panny dvd players, which are themselves better than the Philips 963sa.

jackman

« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2004, 12:44 pm »
I have the HD841 or whatever the one on the link is.  It's cool looking and has a better picture than the newer Panasonic I bought a few months ago and the older (but progressive scan) Pioneer I bought a couple years ago.  The Samsung was only a hundred bucks so it wasn't a big investment or risk.  I had no illusions that it would beat $1K machines or even $500 machines.  I was only trying to get better performance than my current ones.  Mainly, I wanted a machine that would upconvert to 1080i.  This one does, although from the article, I should try using the component output.  My TV has several component connections and DVI. I'll test them both tonight and report back.

Thanks,
Jack

byteme

« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2004, 02:46 am »
Interesting!  I've been considering a new DVD player with HDMI output and saw the 841's big brother the 941 at my distributor, however it now looks like that sucker may not show up for awhile.

I'm getting delivery on a JVC 61Z575 in about a week and that's the reason I'm considering the HDMI capable DVD player.  My current DVD source is a Panny RP82, used exclusively for HT purposes.  I've also got a Dish 811 box that has DVI output.  My original plan was to get a HDMI - DVI cable and use it for the Sat box and continue to use the component outs for the DVD.  However, would I be better served to get a HDMI switcher and HDMI output DVD player so everything coming into the JVC is it's native 720P?  Is the upgrade in picture quality going to be worth the $300-500 it's going to cost?

The thing that gets me thinking is that based on the HT Secrets shootout scores, the RP82 rated a 91 which comes DAMN close to the $1300 Denon at the top of the list with a 93.  But, am I going to lose anything in the upconversion of the TV?!?  http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=all

Thanks!

jackman

« Reply #7 on: 10 Nov 2004, 01:41 pm »
I'm having second thoughts about this machine.  I can't get the HDMI to connect.  It works well with component video cables but the DVI connection doesn't seem to be working.  i tested it by disconnecting the DVI connection and it made no difference.  Also, the upconverting settings don't seem to make a difference.  Need to figure out what I did wrong.  

Also, I compared this as a transport into the Panny digital receiver and it falls way short of my Modwright modded Music Hall (has LC3 clock, bybees, tons of mods that I make it a great stand alone and apparently a great transport).  I'll keep messing with it and may just keep it because it's still better than my Pioneer as a player.  Just can't get HD to work at the moment.

J

JoshK

« Reply #8 on: 10 Nov 2004, 01:50 pm »
I've oft wondered if one wanted a DVD player with excellent picture and also to be a great CD transport, whether getting something like Sony S7700 and adding SDI outs to it, modding it for excellent transport duties and then using a DAC plus a DVDO Ultra with SDI input mod would be the ultimate solution.  The transport mods would likely help the picture too.  Just another random thought I guess.

By the way, not to derail this topic but does anyone know if you can coerce PCM out of the digital outputs on DVDs, so you could use a hi-end 2 channel DAC for 2 channel movie playback?  I would love to know if it is possible.  This would be ideal for me.

mcgsxr

« Reply #9 on: 10 Nov 2004, 02:15 pm »
Not sure if it is appropriate to this conversation per se, but I am able to get PCM out of my RCA Scenium, and thus use my Mensa for 2 channel movie watching.

That help?

Uptown Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.uptownaudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 10 Nov 2004, 08:44 pm »
Of course you can get PCM output from a DVD player. I use it all the time as I have no desire for a "multi-channel" system. I connect my Cambridge Audio DVD player via the Coax digital output to my Bryston preamp with built-in DAC and use it for both CD playback and movies. You may have to get into the settings on the DVD player and select PCM rather than Bitstream. Generally, the movies have stereo down mixes if they are new releases and they call it Dolby 2.0 or something idiotic like that. Older movies which were recorded in mono or stereo have either been remixed for "multi-channel" or you can use DPL to get a matrix "surround" effect.
The Cambridge DVD player is very good on it's own but I find the Bryston DAC even better. What I have set-up is a traditional high-end stereo system with the DVD as a video source as well. The monitor sits squarely between the speakers to create a fantastic sounding "theater" experience for movies and there is no compromise in sound quality for music or movies. That approach allows you to get better quality components as you only need two channels rather than buying six channels of average stuff for the same net cost.
-Bill

jackman

« Reply #11 on: 10 Nov 2004, 09:06 pm »
Any suggestions on how to get DVI to work with my Sony projection TV?  I thought it was working originally but was wrong.  The picture is better than my older Pioneer but it's still not HD on DVD's.  I lost the manual for the TV and can't download the one from Sony because I can't get Acrobat to work on my computer at the moment.   Suggestions greatly appreciated.

J

Uptown Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 10 Nov 2004, 09:29 pm »
You can't get HD from DVD. DVD only has 540 lines or so of resolution, so that is all that is possible. What the direct digital connection can do is provide the latest conversion processing (in the new DVD player) and get that signal to your TV in it's native resolution. That gets you a better picture as you have indicated, so that's a good thing. There will be HDDVD at some point, pehaps in two years for most of us, but it will be a different format which will require a new HDDVD player to get that resolution from as well as movies recorded in HD. Basically, you can't get HD unless you have a HD source and a HD display. Just because something is digital or can pass HD signals, does not in itself make the output HD.
-Bill

byteme

« Reply #13 on: 10 Nov 2004, 09:40 pm »
Quote from: Uptown Audio
You can't get HD from DVD. DVD only has 540 lines or so of resolution, so that is all that is possible. What the direct digital connection can do is provide the latest conversion processing (in the new DVD player) and get that signal to your TV in it's native resolution. That gets you a better picture as you have indicated, so that's a good thing. There will be HDDVD at some point, pehaps in two years for most of us, but it will be a different format which will require a new HDDVD player to get that resolut ...

So, Bill, you think that using a newer DVI or HDMI capable DVD player to a HDMI capable TV (JVC 61Z575) is going to be better than running component from my RP82 - EVEN THOUGH the RP82 rates much higher than any current DVI or HDMI capable player in the video realm (outside of the $1300 Denon which is not an option)?

I hope that makes sense...

jackman

« Reply #14 on: 10 Nov 2004, 09:54 pm »
It says on my manual that the player upconverts to 1080i resolution.  That is better than normal DVD through component...only problem is that I can't get it to work.  I'll try calling Samsung!

J

dave_c

« Reply #15 on: 10 Nov 2004, 11:31 pm »
Is the RP82 discontinued?  What is the replacement?

Uptown Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 11 Nov 2004, 12:19 am »
The players can't really increase the resolution, they can only upsample to be compatable with an HD format. Just imagine it as a process that eliminates cable losses by delivering a digital signal, custom configured for your display. Alchemy has never been a science and I don't bet on it in the future either. I think you have misread the marketing crap that the companies put out to make the product its best. It is compatible with HDTV, not HDTV...
-Bill

Uptown Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 11 Nov 2004, 12:28 am »
Hi Byteme,
(It is byteme, right?!) Yeah, that's clear as mud. I don't put any credence in reviews, but my own evaluations. I would not discount the posibility that it will handily outperform your player with it's component outputs. I would however be completely guessing if I were to place a bet on the outcome either way. It's a cool idea to eliminate the cable losses and get the latest digital conversion by using a new, outboard converter at the source. But the proof is in the pudding and the real issue is whether the converter in the player is better than the converter in the TV. Even if they are the same, the conversion being done in the player does eliminate the analog transmission of the signal, which can't be a bad thing. Being a better concept however does not mean that you will be able to discern any difference. I think the fact that Samsung sees some difference in some applications and that some users also see some difference is promising, just not convincing without a trial in your application. Sorry to be so long in saying - maybe...   , but there you have it.
-Bill

byteme

« Reply #18 on: 11 Nov 2004, 06:02 am »
Quote from: Uptown Audio
Hi Byteme,
(It is byteme, right?!) Yeah, that's clear as mud. I don't put any credence in reviews, but my own evaluations. I would not discount the posibility that it will handily outperform your player with it's component outputs. I would however be completely guessing if I were to place a bet on the outcome either way. It's a cool idea to eliminate the cable losses and get the latest digital conversion by using a new, outboard converter at the source. But the proof is in the pudding and the real issue is ...

Sometimes, actually probably mostly, the answer is "it depends".  I figured that I'd have to try it for myself and go from there, which is what I'll do.  Now I've just got to get hold of a DVD player from a local outlet with a liberal return policy!