Tech Talk Tuesday Episode 1 is up.

Danny Richie

Tech Talk Tuesday Episode 1 is up.
« on: 25 Jun 2019, 01:51 pm »
Big thanks to Ron Brenay at New Record Day for making this happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH2nRWtS3as

I found it to be pretty difficult to just sit in front of the camera and just talk. And to stay on topic and not ramble was also not easy. I still have a lot of room for improvement. So I'll work on it.

What you see is one take straight through. There is no editing or splicing pieces together.

I didn't personally feel it to be real entertaining. It is pure technical talk. So I hope it isn't too boring.

Post your feedback or questions, and let me know of topics that you'd like to hear me cover in the weeks to come. 
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2019, 04:52 pm by Danny Richie »

revg1952

Re: Tech Talk Tuesday Episode 1 is up.
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2019, 02:16 pm »
Danny
excellent job; laid back and informative;keep it up.
Gary

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2019, 02:30 pm »
Very nice. Congratulations.
Suggestions? If you had, say, a friend, their head right behind the camera, and then you are 'talking to them'. it might help you to be more 'natural' in front of the camera. and eye contact would seem to be 'to the viewer,' rather than the eye wandering you are doing (no 'sense' in looking at the camera as the point of interest for your eyes?) .... even a picture perhaps. or a mental realization it should be like speaking to a friend... The picture could be a reminder...
Color saturation is down. the color should be 'up slightly. Since the only thing in the video with any color is your skin...
Good verbal connection. no wandering and in particular no using the killers of umm or ahh .. none of that... which is a real major plus!. so the story line is captivating enough for audiophiles..
When you move your hands in gestures, fine. but sometime you are gripping and regriping the armrests.. better to just relax your hands then.
Great effort, hope to view more...
Good luck
Added: watched the revised video. yeah, better. the endless odd grey stuff in the background is blacked out. good. Color way better. Sound better.
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2019, 05:28 pm by Elizabeth »

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2019, 03:14 pm »
I like the snort!

Next step, showing measurements!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2019, 03:19 pm »
  Great idea Danny and well done.

charles

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun 2019, 03:47 pm »
Nice work!  My suggestion would be to make the videos shorter and more focused on a single topic.  For example, you covered or touched on each of these topics in your first video, and I'd split them out and do a separate videos for each topic:

• How to set up speakers for best imaging (any speaker, box or OB)
  • Why Open baffles are the best design for imaging in most rooms
  • The Super Mini is the king of imaging vs other Box & OB speakers
  • Parts quality and their affect on Sound Quality in a High Resolution System
  • Bass - Why OB beats boxes (it's the room)
  • Bass pt2 - Why Servo Sub OB bass rules
  • etc...

Captainhemo

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun 2019, 04:04 pm »
Well done  Danny  :thumb:  Points above  are  all valid.
Amazing  you've  done that in all  one take,  kike you  mentioned it is hard to stay foucused   and on point  when yo  do it like that..  Some  inexpensive  editing   software  may help  you  use smaller  segments/takes.  Some of these  programs  are really  straight forward  and  easy to learn / use.

Keep em coming  man

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jun 2019, 04:56 pm »
I like the snort!

Next step, showing measurements!

I have such issues with my sinuses I'm glad I didn't do that about ten times.  :lol:

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jun 2019, 04:57 pm »
Nice work!  My suggestion would be to make the videos shorter and more focused on a single topic.  For example, you covered or touched on each of these topics in your first video, and I'd split them out and do a separate videos for each topic:

• How to set up speakers for best imaging (any speaker, box or OB)
  • Why Open baffles are the best design for imaging in most rooms
  • The Super Mini is the king of imaging vs other Box & OB speakers
  • Parts quality and their affect on Sound Quality in a High Resolution System
  • Bass - Why OB beats boxes (it's the room)
  • Bass pt2 - Why Servo Sub OB bass rules
  • etc...

I was thinking the same thing. Thanks!

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jun 2019, 05:00 pm »
Well done  Danny  :thumb:  Points above  are  all valid.
Amazing  you've  done that in all  one take,  kike you  mentioned it is hard to stay foucused   and on point  when yo  do it like that..  Some  inexpensive  editing   software  may help  you  use smaller  segments/takes.  Some of these  programs  are really  straight forward  and  easy to learn / use.

Keep em coming  man

jay

I posted the wrong link at first. Ron Brenay edited a version for Youtube. Check the corrected link. It looks a little better after he has waved his magic wand over it. 

nrenter

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jun 2019, 07:46 pm »
Great job!

raddar

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jun 2019, 07:52 pm »
Danny,

I enjoyed it thoroughly, it was not boring at all for me. Great job and thanks for sharing your knowledge :thumb:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 25 Jun 2019, 08:52 pm »
Same here. I found it interesting and informative. Good job  :thumb:

Mike

SoCalWJS

« Reply #13 on: 25 Jun 2019, 08:59 pm »
I thought it was very well done, especially for the first time out. Hope you continue them. Lots of good suggestions out there for future topics. Speaker positioning is still a biggie for me - how to best overcome a problematic room, would be right near the top for me.

Keep it going Danny!

spotlightaudio

« Reply #14 on: 25 Jun 2019, 09:15 pm »
Nice Job!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Early B.

« Reply #15 on: 25 Jun 2019, 10:06 pm »
One of the next episodes should be devoted to telling the audience who you are. What makes you an expert in this field?

I know what you're thinking -- you have absolutely no interest in talking about yourself -- I get it. However, these videos are part of GR Research's brand marketing and awareness, even though that may not be your primary intention. You gotta establish your legitimacy. Once the audience (beyond fb and AC) knows who you are, they'll keep coming back. You have a tremendous opportunity to become the rational voice of high end audio. No one else can do that. Yeah, the PS Audio Prez is trying to do it with his series of youtube videos, but yours can be so much more informative and practical. Besides, you already have lots of friends such as the guys here on AC who will gladly promote your videos all over the Internet.

One more thing -- use non-technical terms and offer explanations when technical jargon is necessary. Even words like, "imaging" and "soundstage" probably need to be clearly defined for many of your listeners.   

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 25 Jun 2019, 10:54 pm »
Good point Early. Just this pat weekend I was trying to explain soundstage and imaging to my wife. Sh didn’t get it. Although a part of her not getting it may be because I have a tendency to talk with my hands and try to visually describe things in three dimensional space with gestures. She hates that  :dunno:

Mike

ntjetsmoke

« Reply #17 on: 26 Jun 2019, 12:21 am »
Well done! I would enjoy more comments on room treatment.

Early B.

« Reply #18 on: 26 Jun 2019, 12:25 am »
Good point Early. Just this past weekend I was trying to explain soundstage and imaging to my wife. She didn’t get it.

I probably don't get it, either. Here's why -- when I look at Danny's enormous, dedicated man cave, over the top room treatments, technical expertise, and extensive audio gear, I'm certain that his idea of imaging and soundstage is quite different than mine!!!

Danny Richie

« Reply #19 on: 26 Jun 2019, 12:38 am »
Man, I appreciate the feedback you guys have given.

One more thing -- use non-technical terms and offer explanations when technical jargon is necessary. Even words like, "imaging" and "soundstage" probably need to be clearly defined for many of your listeners.   

Yeah, the gang that posts regularly her on AC are fairly advanced hobbyist, and I know you guys get it. It is a technical talk, but I have to keep newbies in mind.

I probably don't get it, either. Here's why -- when I look at Danny's enormous, dedicated man cave, over the top room treatments, technical expertise, and extensive audio gear, I'm certain that his idea of imaging and soundstage is quite different than mine!!!

This is absolutely true. I achieve performance in that area that is not typically heard at shows or in most systems. But that helps me to find areas of improvement that would easily go unnoticed in most systems.