My ADD/ADHD has lead me here/hear

nickk

My ADD/ADHD has lead me here/hear
« on: 17 Nov 2020, 03:35 pm »
My self diagnosed ADD (ADHD after coffee) has lead me to audio ... again. I have soooo many tabs currently open that I need a wider monitor!

On and off again I have delved into audio as a hobby/interest.  My current drive is to make a set of nice speakers that I can play with my many (old) receivers, amps, preamps.  The 70's vintage (large) bookshelf speakers sound better than the Bose Acoustimass to me so I'd like to compare various combinations with a known pretty good to very good speaker.  Thus my drive for speakers.

My vintage stuff includes Marantz, Sansui, Phase Linear and Koss e.9 electrostatic headphones in need of refurb (the headphone wire is stiff enough to hang a flag on)

That's my intro.

JakeJ

Re: My ADD/ADHD has lead me here/hear
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2020, 05:14 pm »
Welcome to AC!  Obviously you, like the rest of us, have been suffering Audiophilia Nervosa for decades.  Have a pair of Acoustat 2+2 from the 80's and a pair of Allison Ones from the 70's that need the crossovers refreshed.  Vintage stuff is often still very good especially if one is on a budget.

So...whatcha got yer eye on?  We love to help people spend their money!  :lol:

nickk

« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2020, 06:34 pm »
The problem is that I feel "awash in a sea of opportunities" ... or ... like a mosquito over a nudist camp, "I don't know where to start"!

I'm not up to spending thousands on speakers since I no longer have thousand dollar ears.  Things that are capturing my attention are single driver in towers, single driver open and DML's.  My listening area is fairly large and not a main living area.  Regardless, the equipment has to be somewhat neat/orderly.

Audio is a multi-variable problem such that each component adds "color".  So my thought is to start with a pretty good set of speakers and work backwards. As I listen to what I have, I realize I don't know what "right" is.  Your brain adapts.  But once you play one against the other you can hear the (big) differences. So it is all relative.  I doubt I'll spend on testing equipment even though that may be a good investment.  At some time I may delve deeper and do some experimenting.

nickk

« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2020, 06:36 pm »
This post looks interesting: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=70541.0

But 161 pages!!!!!  I need a Reader Digest Condensed version.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2020, 06:43 pm »
Welcome!

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2020, 06:45 pm »
Owned much of the Phase Linear stuff many moons ago (was my first separates).

nickk

« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2020, 07:13 pm »
I still have the Phase Linear 1000 Preamp with Auto Correlator noise reduction and a Phase Linear 200 amp.  One of those two drops out ... need to chase that down.  I also owned the linear tracking turn table but gave that away in a fit of stupidity (albeit that it didn't work but I never tried to chase the problem).

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2020, 10:32 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Nick   :thumb:   

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 18 Nov 2020, 08:29 am »
Welcome  :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 18 Nov 2020, 01:21 pm »
Welcome!

Still own/listen to single driver towers (transmission line) that I commissioned 16 years ago.  The drivers are Fostex F200a (8 inch, AlNiCo, rated 30-20,000 Hz, 8 ohm, 90 dB/w/m, no stinking whizzer cone).  But they're not perfect.  First, got the drivers EnABL'd (treated to help midrange/treble extension/clarity).  Then added "Late Ceiling Splash" tweeters ala Duke LeJeune to address the high frequency "beaming" and widened the sound stage.  Finally added 3 carefully placed subwoofers ala Floyd Toole et. al. to address inherent in-room bass peaks/dips.  They're not perfect but suit my room, tastes, and genres well.

I've owned better: JBL 708P (2-way active monitor, 8 inch ported woofer, 1 inch wave guide loaded tweeter).  The 708P is the best loudspeaker I've ever heard.  It was uncolored, coherent, and very dynamic/room filling.  Obviously I have an affection for the active concept (single driver loudspeakers by default active).  The wave guide, which on the 708P looks like a horn, provides controlled directivity and thus helps them sound the same regardless of the room, thus is a current favorite feature among designers. 

You're smart to go for the "ideal" loudspeaker first, but doubt if anyone can DIY an ideal loudspeakers short of having the resources of decades of design experience, a team of researchers, at least $100k of testing equipment, and in-house manufacturing facilities (pulling drivers off the shelf like most manufacturers do is a compromise).  Same with amplifiers and all passive loudspeakers.  Very few companies can fit that bill (active design, wave guide, and deep R&D/manufacturing resources). 

Secondly I'd suggest working on the room (shape, size, insulated, possible treatments).  After ordering my commissioned loudspeakers I had a dedicated yet practical listening room built: 8ft x 13ft x 21ft; insulated staggered stud walls; exterior insulated fiberglass door with weather strips; flexible lined/insulated ductwork; 6 GIK 244 full range absorption panels at first reflection points; 4 GIK 244 bass traps straddling the front corners; and 3 tall randomly filled bookcases to diffuse sound along side walls.  Your large room is probably ill shaped, it could be cut down. 

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 18 Nov 2020, 01:54 pm »
Do you could cheer us with some photos from your TL F200A speaker?

nickk

« Reply #11 on: 18 Nov 2020, 03:45 pm »
You're smart to go for the "ideal" loudspeaker first, but doubt if anyone can DIY an ideal loudspeakers short of having the resources of decades of design experience,

Too many years ago I took a course in Operations Research. The one thing, and I mean "one thing", I took away was the discussion of optimal vs strong feasible. You can bust your pick chasing optimal when many strong feasibles are nearby and relatively easy.  Related is my opinion that most of the time, a $100 bottle of wine is not enjoyed 5x a $20 bottle or even 10x a $10 bottle. Especially given all the distractions around you.

Thus my goal is a known pretty good (strong feasible) speaker that I don't have to wonder how good/off it is.  That said, I think I need to chase measurement methodology & equipment as a quantitative approach. 

For example ... Yesterday I was playing around with source -> box A -> box B.  I changed it to source -> box B -> box A  and I'd swear the sound quality changed.  It was hard to say because by the time I got the change implemented, the quality of the metal image was decaying.  I really do hate multi-variable problems :-)

JakeJ

« Reply #12 on: 19 Nov 2020, 02:56 am »
FRM, just click on JLM's System link or his Gallery and there are photos of the Brines there.