Is my Versalex faulty?

glitchesbrew

Is my Versalex faulty?
« on: 28 Mar 2021, 12:05 am »
Hi everybody, I'm new to the forum and to the WT world.
I've just purchased an ex display/demo Versalex and I need your advice to understand if some "issues" I found are "real" or is just me being too paranoid.
I still have a week or so to return it so I need some help to made up my mind.

First of all I would like to say that I think the deck sounds fabulous, but I'm coming from a much cheaper turntable (Rega P3) so that was someway "expected".

1 - My main concern is with the platter. When spinning (driven by the belt) I can see a slight wobble. Here's a video I made:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/coMpfzBmpwNvr4999

Reading other posts in this circle I started to think that maybe my belt was a bit loose/overstretched. So I made a new one (21 inches of diameter) but the result is exactly the same.

Of course I tried to reposition the platter countless times, keeping it from the spindle as suggested in the manual, but no luck.

I don't think (let's say I hope) this has any effect on the sound, but with my Rega (with an aftermarket machined subplatter and delrin platter) to tell if it was moving you had to touch it.
It's cosmetical, but it buggers me a bit tbh.

2 - I spotted something weird about the wire exiting the tonearm. You can see a picture here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/2jPCuFXUd6gDqT7K8
If you zoom in it look like some copper wire is exposed to me? Turn up the volume of my preamp and tried to touch it with my fingers and move the wire, but I could hear nothing out of the speakers.

3 - If you turn on the motor without a belt it produces a clearly audible noise. I know this is normal. If you put the belt on though, the noise is very much reduced but still audible if you're close to the deck. I can't hear it from my listening position, so I'm fine with it, but knowing that your decks do the same will give me peace of mind.

4 - The triangle shaped teflon bearing is not pointing "exactly" to the motor pulley but slightly on it's right. It's more that is pointing to the WT logo above the pulley. I tried to adjust it with a finger but didn't succeed. May this be related to point one?

Of course I'm talking with both the dealer and the distributor about these points but I would to know what's the opinion of the members of this circle.

Many thanks and apology for the long post.

bacobits1

Re: Is my Versalex faulty?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2021, 01:40 pm »
Now this is me, I would never accept a wobble platter. AND, yea sure looks like bare wire exiting that tone arm wire.
Return the whole thing. Display demo or not should not be as shown.
Good luck!

G E

« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2021, 02:12 pm »
Agree. My WTA Mark 1 shows no platter wobble.

Return it and either buy a new one or wait for a used one in excellent shape

BTW, my motor makes a racket when the thread breaks but is silent otherwise.

The Teflon bearing can be adjusted by finger but it’s tight. I don’t believe that is causing the turntable wobble.

mick wolfe

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2021, 03:07 pm »
Yep, I agree with G E and bacobits1. Sounds like a mildly abused Versalex. The flaws you speak of are unacceptable. Buy a new one...you won't regret it.

RPM123

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2021, 06:06 pm »
I agree with the above comments. I own a Versalex and have had zero issues. The platter runs perfectly smooth and level. The motor is noisy without the belt, but silent with one...even when I stand next to it.  Also, I noticed that the finish on your tonearm looks "grainy". It doesn't look right! Here is a pic of my tonearm for comparison.  There is obviously a problem with your table, so send it back.

glitchesbrew

« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2021, 06:39 pm »
Thank very much everyone. I feared that was the case but having never seen another WTL before I wasn't completely sure.
I looks like I have a problem in the motor, one in the arm, one in the platter and possibly one in the spindle bearing.
« Last Edit: 1 Apr 2021, 09:43 am by glitchesbrew »

glitchesbrew

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jun 2021, 03:13 pm »
Just a quick update on my journey. After you suggestions I've returned that table and ordered a brand new one. I had to wait a bit because it was backordered.
It finally arrived today!
Everything is ok, (event if I can still hear the motor going when I'm cueing a record).
Time to spin some records!

/mp

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jun 2021, 04:02 pm »
Enjoy in good health.

RPM123

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jun 2021, 04:51 pm »
Good to hear, although I'm still perplexed by you hearing the motor running when cuing a record. My hearing is fairly acute and I can only detect a faint tick sound (when cuing a record) as the knot passes around the pulley. I have owned it for over five years. Perhaps your hearing is extremely sensitive to the motor frequency? Enjoy your new table!

G E

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jun 2021, 03:15 pm »
Congrats on the new table!

Loving my Amadeus for over 7 years!

glitchesbrew

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jun 2021, 10:42 pm »
Thanks everybody! I'm over the moon  :green:
I don't know about the motor noise, I can't hear it from the couch so it' doesn't bother me too much. Maybe it will improve over time, maybe not.
The dealer told me that it may be affected also by dirty power coming from the mains. I'm thinking about getting a linear PSU (DPS or MCRU).
By the way the new WTL deck are now shipping with a cork mat instead of the previous foam one.

RPM123

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jun 2021, 03:08 am »
Well then, that could explain the noise. I just assumed that you had the DPS power supply.