Bummer

Shamrock Audio

Bummer
« on: 27 Sep 2004, 04:03 pm »
Well, while we did manage to get the Keelin speakers to Carl by the 25th, they apparently didn't survive the trip in good shape. :(

Carl called yesterday to say that something was wrong with the speakers and thought it best to send them back so I could have a look. In an effort to save the shipping and perhaps fix something simple we went through some troubleshooting. We found that at least one of the drivers had become disconnected. I asked Carl to go ahead and make the repair, check the other speaker, fire them up, and call me back.

Carl had taken an analog ohms meter to the low-pass binding posts the first time around and measured 1.8 Ohms across the terminals. Something's wrong already. However, after zeroing the meter and reconnecting the driver, the meter actually read 0 ohms. Hmm, there certainly is a problem here :scratch:

Carl is sending the Keelin's back so I can go through them. I apologize for their non-functionality on the get-together. I did get them there in time, but had not counted on what appears to be some damage in shipping.

Bummer!  :shake:

ken

Bummer
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2004, 04:28 pm »
Mike;

Sorry to hear about the damage.  I elected to send them Fed Ex because I though they were a little gentler then UPS.  I guess It's a crap shoot.  The speakers looked and sounded  fine when I had them.  Was there any obvious physical  damage done.   I can't imagine that happening without the crate sustaining some damage in the process.  I  sure hope it wasn't the way I boxed them with the drivers facing up, I'm pretty sure that's how I got them from Maxcast I just forgot to put them in a plastic bag but don't think that would have made much of a difference.  I guess the tour has been temporarily derailed :cry:

Ken

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
Bummer
« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2004, 07:13 pm »
I could have pulled them apart for you if you wanted.... I just didn't want to volunteer and get stuck in the middle of something.... I hope you understand...  

I've got the venerable woofer tester, the usual assortment of meters, etc.... I don't have CLIO anymore... but I've built enough speakers over the last 15 years to know my way around and troubleshoot....

I'm sorry they were damaged... I wanted to hear them....  there were absolutely no signs of external damage....

A common thing that happens in shipping is that the shipper drops the box hard enough to crack the magnet structure or somehow physically change the voice coil alignment of the midbass...  usually manifests itself as a scratchy or flappy woofer, which we didn't have in this instance.... it's happened a number of times to me before using the pathetic excuse for regular shipping companies otherwise known as UPS, Fedex, and DHL.....

The crossover likely had issues moreso than just the drivers...

hopefully we'll get them back for another listen at a future date....

Shamrock Audio

Re: Bummer
« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2004, 11:28 pm »
Quote from: ken
Mike;

Sorry to hear about the damage.  I elected to send them Fed Ex because I though they were a little gentler then UPS.  I guess It's a crap shoot.  The speakers looked and sounded  fine when I had them.  Was there any obvious physical  damage done.   I can't imagine that happening without the crate sustaining some damage in the process.  I  sure hope it wasn't the way I boxed them with the drivers facing up, I'm pretty sure that's how I got them from Maxcast I just forgot to put them in a pla ...

Ken,

Don't worry. I don't think you did anything wrong or that would have caused this. Stuff like this is nearly always rough handling in transit. :)

Thanks!

Shamrock Audio

Bummer
« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2004, 11:38 pm »
Quote from: hometheaterdoc
I could have pulled them apart for you if you wanted.... I just didn't want to volunteer and get stuck in the middle of something.... I hope you understand...  

I've got the venerable woofer tester, the usual assortment of meters, etc.... I don't have CLIO anymore... but I've built enough speakers over the last 15 years to know my way around and troubleshoot....

I'm sorry they were damaged... I wanted to hear them....  there were absolutely no signs of external damage....

A common thing that happen ...

Thanks for the consideration. Aside from a disconnected driver, the telling issue is the 0 Ohms across the woofer terminals. It may be something simple, but they need to return so I can go through them.

I had a gentleman who purchased a used set of our Eire speakers that were damaged in shipping. It seems that somehow FedEx managed to drop the crate hard enough to knock the motor assembly completely off one of the woofers :!:

Although it was out of warranty, we replaced the driver at cost. Moreover, FedEx reimbursed him quickly and he's now a happy camper 8)

I'll go through them when they arrive and get everything squared away. I may just send them back to Carl and pick up where we left off.

Thanks again!