Dave's Cables Interconnect Cable Tour (New Tour With Speaker Cables: Page 10)

genjamon

Re: Dave's Cables Interconnect Cable Tour
« Reply #100 on: 26 Oct 2013, 06:14 pm »
Actually, I wouldn't totally agree with that interpretation of what I wrote, Dave.  I think the SSR has a similar level of one sense of resolution - it's there, but just seems a bit smeared, and I do wonder if it isn't mainly due to the cheap connectors.  I've heard big increases in clarity due to eliminated smearing when upgrading from cheapo XLR/RCA connectors in the past to top of the line Cardas, and I think what I was hearing could substantially be due to that. 

I've heard the difference between OCC litz braided speaker cables and my Clear Day silver speaker cables, and in that case I would fully agree with your assessment.  The OCC cables have a lower tonal balance, a bit more weight and density to the sound, but they are not nearly as articulate and I don't hear the microdynamic details with them that I do with the silver cables. 

With the SSR, I DO hear those microdynamic details - they're not being glossed over - they're just not as clearly delineated and teased apart with the SSR as they are with the DD.  I'd really like to hear the SSR with upgraded connectors up against the DD in my system.  It might be that you're right and SSR don't quite have the detail that the DD do, but I'm not prepared to come to that conclusion with an apples-to-oranges connector situation going on in the comparison.  I suspect it could be pretty close.

But then, the Lore isn't a speaker that is known among the most detailed.  It's more about realistically live dynamics and a certain sense of tone.  It has really good imaging for a 10 inch mid-bass driver in a relatively wide cabinet, but probably not in the same league of imaging/detail as more "audiophile" drivers in slimmer cabinets.  It all depends on what you mean by detail and tone, I suppose.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #101 on: 26 Oct 2013, 10:34 pm »
Hi genjamon, I was writing in general terms and not specifically about the SSR cable as I have not heard them. Most cables that have a lot of body and richness do not have the needed accuracy and detail. The DD is unique in that it has loads of detail, is very fast and accurate, yet also provides a richness to the sound that makes the tonality realistic.

I would agree that connectors make a big difference but there is the issue of synergy with the rest of the cable and your own system. The Furutech FP-101(G) RCAs that I am using in the D2 and DD work very well without being outrageously expensive. But they are also most of the difference between the D1 and D2 so if you thought the D2 emphasized high frequencies more than the D1 than the FP-101 may not work out for you. Based on what you said I would also avoid anything with rhodium plating. I actually have some Neotech locking RCAs with pure copper center pins and gold plating that sounds like it might be a good choice for you, they are being closed out for $50/4, rrp is $80/4. They are better than the FP-126 on the D1, not as good as the FP-101 but are also not bright sounding and go for 1/3 of the price of the FP-101.

genjamon

« Reply #102 on: 26 Oct 2013, 10:39 pm »
Thanks for the input, Dave.  That's all very interesting to keep in mind.  Synergy is certainly everything when it comes to this level of tweaking/performance.  I've done comparison listening sessions where it was completely clear one component or cable was superior, but then six months later after a change somewhere else in the system the same comparison yielded the opposite result!  Synergy, synergy, synergy.  It's maddening, but true.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #103 on: 26 Oct 2013, 10:49 pm »
Thanks for the input, Dave.  That's all very interesting to keep in mind. Synergy is certainly everything when it comes to this level of tweaking/performance.  I've done comparison listening sessions where it was completely clear one component or cable was superior, but then six months later after a change somewhere else in the system the same comparison yielded the opposite result!  Synergy, synergy, synergy.  It's maddening, but true.

I agree!

One quick story... maybe 6-7 years ago I just got my Omega Super 3 XRS and a neighbor had Maxhemps (Super 3 = 4.5" driver, Maxhemp = 8" driver). I built 2 IC cables using Jupiter Condenser cotton insulated hook up wire, same cable except one was silver and the other was copper. The silver cable was clearly better with the Maxhemps and the copper cable was clearly better with the Super 3s.

There is no one cable or component that is going to match with every system and meet everyone's personal preference.

The D2, DD and speaker cables I am offering are made with the best parts available anywhere and I feel like at this level of performance synergy and preference are the most important factors.

pfarthing

« Reply #104 on: 28 Oct 2013, 04:14 pm »
Hey guys, just posting that I sent my address to genjamon for the next leg of the tour - thanks!

dflee

« Reply #105 on: 28 Oct 2013, 06:38 pm »
Without trying to figure out who's on first, Where abouts is tour one?

Thanks
Don

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #106 on: 28 Oct 2013, 06:39 pm »
Hi Don, BobRex has them and you're up next!  :thumb:

shaizada

« Reply #107 on: 28 Oct 2013, 08:06 pm »
I think I'd like to join this tour...Daves cables have my interest piqued! :)
Where do I sign up?

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #108 on: 28 Oct 2013, 08:13 pm »
Hi shaizada,

If you don't need an XLR cable I can get you in after OzarkTom, who is right after dflee so you'd get the cables in a few weeks.

Regards,
-Dave

shaizada

« Reply #109 on: 28 Oct 2013, 11:07 pm »
Sounds good!  Actually,  I'd like to give a test run to the XLR and the Single Ended cables...both of them.
I just recently got a Jorma Unity cable for use with a particular Phono stage/turntable setup in my system.  I'm hoping to try your cables in that position and see how it compares.

I wouldn't mind selling the Jorma Unity if it comes to that!

Thanks Dave.  Consider me signed up.  Let me know who needs my shipping address.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #110 on: 29 Oct 2013, 05:47 am »
Genjamon,
You said you listened to "OCC litz braided" speaker cables.  Are you talking about the 14 gauge cotton litz wire that Dave is selling or some other "litz" wire?
Ric

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #111 on: 29 Oct 2013, 03:32 pm »
Ric, He's talking about another litz-braided speaker cable, not the cables I have.

@shaizada, OK, I have a set of cables with XLR going around, I will put you on that tour.

jonbee

« Reply #112 on: 29 Oct 2013, 11:07 pm »
If you have an opening on the single ended tour, I'd love to hear your work.
Still waiting on my Daedalus upgrades; after that I'm open to cable changes.

pfarthing

« Reply #113 on: 30 Oct 2013, 06:28 pm »
Hi all. Been notified by genjamon the cables have shipped to me in Seattle  :thumb:

shaizada

« Reply #114 on: 31 Oct 2013, 10:03 am »
Ric, He's talking about another litz-braided speaker cable, not the cables I have.

@shaizada, OK, I have a set of cables with XLR going around, I will put you on that tour.

Thanks!  I'd like to hear the RCA version as well if possible.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #115 on: 31 Oct 2013, 03:22 pm »
jonbee, no problem.  :)

shaizada, there will be single ended cables as well.

genjamon

« Reply #116 on: 1 Nov 2013, 02:24 pm »
Anybody compare these yet to Wywires or KCI Silkworm products yet? I would be curious your findings.

Missing the DD in my system since I sent the cables off to pfarthing...

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #117 on: 1 Nov 2013, 04:39 pm »

Missing the DD in my system since I sent the cables off to pfarthing...

I was having the same thoughts last night, Dave's created a real audiophile problem for me and I don't appreciate it one bit.

Marketing 101, give them a taste and once the sugar hits their tongue they will crave more until the desire is met or they will want forever.   :D

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #118 on: 1 Nov 2013, 04:45 pm »
I was having the same thoughts last night, Dave's created a real audiophile problem for me and I don't appreciate it one bit.

Marketing 101, give them a taste and once the sugar hits their tongue they will crave more until the desire is met or they will want forever.   :D
That would be a great name for a cable. "Sugar" - Once you have it you will always want it.  Could also be used in Vegas though. 

genjamon

« Reply #119 on: 1 Nov 2013, 04:56 pm »

Thanks for the reminder, Launche.  I went back and re-read your comments just now from Sept. 9.  I would agree fully with those thoughts.  Those comments were kind of difficult to interpret and didn't mean that much to me when you first wrote them, but they make complete sense now that I've actually heard the same things in my own system and am feeling the same withdrawal at this point.

I guess I'd say it's like an elegant simplicity and clarity.  Back with my other cables now, there's a kind of greater harmonic complexity than with the DD, but I'm perceiving more and more that it must be resonances and reflections or something in the cable - artificial.  And it smears the imaging and instrument separation.  This is alright for rocking out with rock music, but on most other stuff you know there's more there to be heard and experienced.

Grrrr.... not sure I'm gonna be able to hold out for much longer