Entry level electric guitar for my 13 year old son

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
My son has been playing his Alto Sax for the last 7 years and now he would like to learn how to play guitar.

Any recommendations on a cost effective electric guitar and amp?

I don't want to invest a ton until he knows that he really wants to commit to the guitar, but I also don't want to get him junk.

Thanks,

George

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
Re: Entry level electric guitar for my 13 year old son
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2015, 03:42 pm »
Buy the best instrument you can afford, even if that means used. You can always get most if not all your money back if things don't work out. I can still remember the day I got my hands on a professional quality drum kit. It makes a real difference.

Doc

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2015, 04:29 pm »
We have a Mini Fender (Squier) Stratocaster. It has held up to 10 years of abuse. $100 new.
Your 13yo is probably big enough for full sized. Squier is decent quality for beginner, probably Chinese made.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2015, 05:08 pm »
There's also the MIM (made in Mexico) Fenders.
The Squier will probably require some filing of the frets on the side of the neck if it's like the one somebody brought over but that's no big deal.
There's also Epiphone from Korea, I think, which are inexpensive.
Lots of choices.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2015, 01:00 pm »
Thanks for the recommendations.

Went to Guitar Center and bought an entry level Squire by Fender package that included everything my son needed after talking to the sales guy.

He was having fun with it within minutes of getting home from the store.   :thumb:

George

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 9 Feb 2015, 01:36 pm »
Awesome!  Post some pics of the setup when you get a chance.   :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #7 on: 9 Feb 2015, 01:54 pm »
I'd love to sell you the guitar and amp I bought for my son five years ago, but despite the fact he doesn't play it, he likes it as a decoration in his room.   :duh:
Maybe I'll ask him again.

Last I checked, Behringer had a USB guitar that you could plug directly into a PC, saving you the cost of the amp. If he likes it, and actually learned how to play, you can "upgrade" it by getting him a real amp as is has the "normal" 1/4" jack too.

Hope that helps.
Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 9 Feb 2015, 02:18 pm »
Thanks Bob.

For right now he is going to use Rocksmith on the XboxOne as his teaching tool.

If his interest level stays, I will get him lessons.

From his years of playing the sax, he knows what it means to practice each day in order to get better.

George

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 9 Feb 2015, 02:26 pm »
If I was paying closer attention, I would have saved myself a lot of time typing all that.  :duh:

pslate

« Reply #11 on: 9 Feb 2015, 02:29 pm »
The Mexican Strats are nice if you can afford it. Maybe one used? I think one that has not been abused would tune up and play nicely for years.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 9 Feb 2015, 02:32 pm »
I don't feel so bad now.  :icon_twisted:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 9 Feb 2015, 02:39 pm »
I've been down the same road twice, George. When it comes to teenage boys and playing guitar, many are called but few are chosen. Your wait and see approach is best in my opinion. The more he invests himself, the more you can invest. But you need to make him work for it. If and when he demonstrates a genuine commitment, you can then up the ante. Meanwhile, somewhere in the coming year, you can see to it that he becomes aware of a goal. There are many players on this site who can tell you about subtleties like tone and action that make the difference between entry level and better guitars.

I know very little about guitars myself but then again, this confession may be redundant due to my comments in the previous paragraph.

You seem like a great Dad.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 9 Feb 2015, 02:40 pm »
The one I bought is made in Asia.

The Mexican made Squire would run around $400-500 new, while the American made was substantially more than that.

George

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 9 Feb 2015, 02:42 pm »
I've been down the same road twice, George. When it comes to teenage boys and playing guitar, many are called but few are chosen. Your wait and see approach is best in my opinion. The more he invests himself, the more you can invest. But you need to make him work for it. If and when he demonstrates a genuine commitment, you can then up the ante. Meanwhile, somewhere in the coming year, you can see to it that he becomes aware of a goal. There are many players on this site who can tell you about subtleties like tone and action that make the difference between entry level and better guitars.

I know very little about guitars myself but then again, this confession may be redundant due to my comments in the previous paragraph.

You seem like a great Dad.

Thanks for positive comment Macrojack.   :thumb:

I deeply care about both my boys and try to be a great dad every day.

George

charmerci

« Reply #16 on: 9 Feb 2015, 03:12 pm »
I'd love to sell you the guitar and amp I bought for my son five years ago, but despite the fact he doesn't play it, he likes it as a decoration in his room.   :duh:
Maybe I'll ask him again.

You never know. He could come home one day bummed or bored, pick it up and start playing again.

Remember, all (well most) of us audiophiles are failed or wanna-be musicians!   :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 9 Feb 2015, 03:22 pm »
I've been hoping that since 2008.  :lol:

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #18 on: 9 Feb 2015, 03:43 pm »
George, step up to Mexican strats, if strats are what he likes.  The tuners don't stay on the squire's  :duh:  He will always be out of tune.  And by the time you upgrade what you need to, to get it right you will have too much in the Squire.  The Gibson SG's and Les pauls are very nice and have a shorter scale than the Fenders, they will be easier to play for him.  The Squire is really way below entry level.  FWIW

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE