How to Start a Purist Audio System

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
How to Start a Purist Audio System
« on: 30 Jul 2023, 01:26 am »
Hi new members,
In view of many new members asking which equipment to choose to his system I put in this thread some basic guidance according my personal taste on how choose equipment to set up a Stereo audio system.

1) Always prefer hi sensitivity speakers and benign flat impedance as 100dB and 8Ω, hi sensitivity speakers dont cost more for that and work well with a small tube amps, a 101dB Klipsch RF7 will need about 10W SolidState and can run with a 45/2A3 SET tube amp at 1.5W, but many audiophiles buy speakers with less than 90dB that will need hundreds of Watts to drive a inefficient loudspeaker, it can stay worse if the speaker are 4Ω impedance. If you buy a 3-way Magnepan 84dB 4ohms (3 ohms most of the freq range) and you will need a expensive 500W Solid State monster amp.

2) Don't go down the HT route, stay on the purist audio road for better sound quality.

3) If possible stay Cross Overless with a big Full Range driver as Lii Audio F-15($399 pair) or F18($520/pair), if you need hi SPL use a pro-audio Full Range driver, but if you prefer a speaker with crossover dont buy 3-ways speakers, take a simple 2-ways speaker with a Coaxial driver as Beyma 12KX 98dB, 300Wrms, dont walk run from top tweeters.

4) Enclosure are there only to made bass, if possible use OB with hi QTS drivers 0.9 or higher.

5) Dont let paid magazines reviews and audio sites plenty of advertisers brainwash you.

6) Famous brands means high profit margin ratail price.

7) Read books from Ryder or Tomer on audio tubes, some are free PDF online.
https://www.tubedepot.com/t/other-stuff/books

8] If possible take a basic electronics training to guide you.
« Last Edit: 1 Aug 2023, 04:37 am by FullRangeMan »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: How to Start a Purist Audio System
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2023, 11:31 am »
There is no perfect loudspeaker or audio system.  The room must be considered.  Ideally it is perfectly shaped, not small, well insulated, built with reverb in mind, properly treated, and dedicated to music listening.  Most ignore the room effects.

Single driver loudspeakers give up frequency extremes.  Many of my single driver friends have deluded themselves into believing deep bass or high treble don't exist in order to satisfy their purist attitudes.  Same with fans of crossover-less, planar, and OB designs. 

For 18 years I had single driver loudspeakers that I believed was the ultimate in purist design by commissioning floor-standing transmission line cabinets with Fostex F200a drivers (one per cabinet, rated 30-20,000 Hz).  But ended up adding an ambience tweeter to each, 3 subwoofers to help inherent room bass peaks/dips, and room EQ. 

Now I've done a 180 degree turn and gone with Buchardt A500SE/fully wireless hub.  The hub serves as a server, preamp with DSP controlled built-in loudness control and room EQ.  The A500SE are sealed monitors, has Purifi drivers (front and rear firing), waveguide tweeter, (4) 150 watt class D mono-block amps each, DSP controlled crossovers and "Master Tunings".   But the purist aspect lives on - only 3 boxes with 3 power cords.  The A500SE sit on trial-legged Mid Century Modern stands and are rated 25-40,000 Hz +/- 1.5 dB. 
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2023, 03:16 pm by JLM »

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2023, 12:08 pm »
It would probably be helpful to begin by defining what a purist audio system is.

mick wolfe

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2023, 06:01 pm »
It would probably be helpful to begin by defining what a purist audio system is.

Well, the simple answer is there isn't a "purist " audio system that ends up being a one size fits all. If we were to visit 10 random audio hobbyist's homes, we'd probably find high power planar or electrostatic based systems, low powered tube horn based systems and everything in between. This not to mention the increasing popular active speaker approach mentioned by JLM. Let's face it, we're all vastly different in our priorities (and ear) when it comes to system building.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2023, 06:08 pm »
How to start a purist audio system?

Start young. My first purist system was a suitcase record player in 1952, I was 4 years old. Every system since has been less purist.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2023, 06:09 pm »
Well, the simple answer is there isn't a "purist " audio system that ends up being a one size fits all. If we were to visit 10 random audio hobbyist's homes, we'd probably find high power planar or electrostatic based systems, low powered tube horn based systems and everything in between. This not to mention the increasing popular active speaker approach mentioned by JLM. Let's face it, we're all vastly different in our priorities (and ear) when it comes to system building.

:thumb:  Totally agree.  When someone I know comes to me seeking information and help, I always listen to their preferences and what they are looking to do with their system.  Imposing my preferences is not helping them reach their goals.  I had a friend who worked at a high end shop many moons ago (probably around 20 years back give or take) and for almost a 6 year period I did virtually all his set-ups and installs with him.  I saw many interesting things and often listened to what someone thought that their system was a reference system which didn't sound as good to me or my friend as my secondary system, let alone the main system (and quite frankly some of them sounded awful as they didn't take into account the room).  It's just the way it is.  Baskin Robbins has 29 flavors and what I like is not right for everyone.

Early B.

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 2023, 06:24 pm »

Yeah. For instance, what is a purist preamp? Is it passive? Is a purist source a turntable? Is a purist amp a SET? Are purist speakers single drivers? Does a purist system use separate subwoofers? Perhaps we should substitute the term, "preferential" for "purist" in the subject line.     

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jul 2023, 06:25 pm »
:thumb:  Totally agree.  When someone I know comes to me seeking information and help, I always listen to their preferences and what they are looking to do with their system.  Imposing my preferences is not helping them reach their goals.  I had a friend who worked at a high end shop many moons ago (probably around 20 years back give or take) and for almost a 6 year period I did virtually all his set-ups and installs with him.  I saw many interesting things and often listened to what someone thought that their system was a reference system which didn't sound as good to me or my friend as my secondary system, let alone the main system (and quite frankly some of them sounded awful as they didn't take into account the room).  It's just the way it is.  Baskin Robbins has 29 flavors and what I like is not right for everyone.

I am sure that you can attest to having a multi-channel system that plays multi-channel audio and movies decently well. And, a receiver on a pair of bookshelfs as your cheap and cheerful setup. So, having a receiver and/or multi-channel setuip wasn't terrible.

Freo-1

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jul 2023, 07:03 pm »

Agree with both you and Mick Wolfe.  There is no perfect system.  Every one of us has a unique set of hearing and preferences.  Whilst there is general agreement about what good sound is, getting to that "reference level" is a very elusive holy grail. 

dpatters

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jul 2023, 07:14 pm »
Whatever sounds awesome and makes you happy every time you sit down to listen is the perfect system. No one else’s opinion matters.

Don P

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 30 Jul 2023, 10:28 pm »
1) Price is no indicator of quality
2) Newer is not always better
3) Don't trust reviews
4) Buy used whenever possible
5) Even better, DIY
6) Don't spend excessive amounts on cables
7) Headphones give you better bang for the buck compared with speakers
Very well said, I agree with all these items.
I will use this your post on other topic in the Starting Block Circle about the same subject.
1) Price is no indicator of quality
2) Newer is not always better
3) Don't trust reviews
4) Buy used whenever possible
5) Even better, DIY
6) Don't spend excessive amounts on cables
7) Headphones give you better bang for the buck compared with speakers

Razor15

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jul 2023, 05:25 pm »
1) The Acoustics of the room matters.
2) Poor speaker placement in a room can make great speakers sound bad.
3) Recording quality matters as well.
4) If you are going to audition a system or speakers have a know group of quality recordings that you are familiar with to audition in person with

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 1 Aug 2023, 04:40 am »
DIY project from a member: Eminence Alpha15A + 4.7mH + Visaton B200.

Decware OB with the Lii Audio F15 driver:

If one have a woodworker is possible try the Lii Audio F15($399/Pair, pair not each) 97dB/8Ω and benign impedance curve suited to OB or Bass Reflex box or the F18($540/pair), no Crossover, no Tweeter beaming, no Phase rotation, no driver sensitivity loss, no Harmonics loss, no Retail price.
http://www.glowinthedarkaudio.com/lii-audio-f18.html

If you want a bigger woofer there are 18'' and 21'' from Lii Audio:
https://www.lii-audio.com/product/w-18/

https://www.lii-audio.com/product/w21/

knotscott

• Sterling Acoustic speakers, Dyna/VTA ST70 bi-amped
« Reply #13 on: 2 Aug 2023, 11:58 am »
Whatever sounds awesome and makes you happy every time you sit down to listen is the perfect system. No one else’s opinion matters.

Don P

Bingo!  Rule #1 is that you only need to please yourself.  Trust your ears.   There are few absolutes, and many approaches to getting a system you like.  In the end, most of us are better off going on our own way.  There are pros and cons with every choice...pick what you like and what makes sense to you and your situation.   

MP62

« Reply #14 on: 25 Oct 2023, 08:44 pm »
Full Range Man has it happening!

Agree also with the room acoustics - something that most all ignore, but it is as important as a key component.  Tubes, IC's, PC's, Cables etc...now wonder this hobby is soooo expensive.

Love Jim Smith's book on audio and his beliefs on speaker placement and room treatment.  It has been on the mark every time I have followed instructions.

budmankp

« Reply #15 on: 7 Jan 2024, 12:48 am »
Greetings to everyone. I’m trying to put together a system after decades of doing without one. Back in ‘79 I what I thought was a good system with Cizek llls, Sansui receiver and a turntable. I’m now back to square one. My room is about 16x20 with hardwood floors and no rugs. Really loved the Cizeks with their clear highs and tight bass. Open to suggestions on how and where to start. Thanks in advance.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 7 Jan 2024, 12:59 am »
if I were start again I would prefer a minimalist tube pre-amp as Decwere CSP-3 and a Class D amp. Even better would be a 6SN7 pre-amp.

Early B.

« Reply #17 on: 7 Jan 2024, 03:07 am »
Open to suggestions on how and where to start.

Don't start!!!!  Building a good audio system only leads to trouble and heartache. :(

theflattire

« Reply #18 on: 7 Jan 2024, 05:27 am »
For me, I always think about the shortest path between source and speakers.

AllanS

« Reply #19 on: 7 Jan 2024, 01:55 pm »
Greetings to everyone. I’m trying to put together a system after decades of doing without one. Back in ‘79 I what I thought was a good system with Cizek llls, Sansui receiver and a turntable. I’m now back to square one. My room is about 16x20 with hardwood floors and no rugs. Really loved the Cizeks with their clear highs and tight bass. Open to suggestions on how and where to start. Thanks in advance.
Welcome aboard!
If you’re patient I’d suggest starting by developing a plan with goals and a realistic budget in mind.
Unless you already know, define your listening and aesthetic preferences as they will guide your plan.
If you seek guidance people will ask you about your preferences and space.  To help them help you it will be helpful to get comfortable with the audiophile language and terms.  Some preferences like listening levels and room treatment related aesthetics you can likely define before getting started.  Others like sound stage and the bright to dark continuum you may not really know until you start listening.
It's true that good sound doesn’t have to be expensive and audio depreciation will bring tears to your eyes.  Used and/or well regarded value brands are great options.  As you build a system you may find your listening experience doesn’t line up with preference expectations.  If you’re comfortable buying and selling this will be less of an issue.
That plan should include room treatments up front.  You can build a great kit that falls flat because the room smears the details. 
Speaking of details, some people are very perceptive to change.  What is obvious to some is  subtle or non existent to others.  Don’t get caught up in the hype.  Your ears, your preferences.  YMMV.  We’re talking incremental improvements with diminishing returns.  Will you be satisfied with 90% of the benefits at 10% of the cost?
If you really want to get into the weeds pick a couple of rabbit holes to go down.  Besides being really interesting, a deeper understanding can help define expectations.  Knowing then what I know now I’d start with room acoustics, treatment options, DSP, and measuring tools like REW.
Have fun!