4k player - Oppo replacement

WGH

Re: 4k player - Oppo replacement
« Reply #20 on: 28 Jan 2022, 08:45 pm »
I tried file based video into my Oppo BDP-103 and it was painful, definitely not the right tool for the job. HTPC is the way to go.

I recently built a new HTPC to replace one I built 10 years old. The new processors can do 2160p @ 60Hz plus dual monitor natively without a video card with no glitches. HDMI out into a processor does 7.1 Dolby Atmos and DTS HD-MA flawlessly. I use VLC Media Player.

My HTPC uses an Intel i7 11700, Asus H570M-PLUS, Crucial 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD, 8GB Crucial ram and Windows 11. It is fast as an eye blink.

My music server has slightly different parts but the basic build for a HTPC would be the same. Make sure the processor has integrated graphics and a TPD of 65w for a fanless design. If you go with a different case then the Scythe Kaze Flex 120mm Fan 300-1200rpm is almost silent. Get the Noctua silicone anti-vibration fan mounts too. I use the stock fan that came with the i7, it too is quiet inside my older Antec Sonata Quite Computing case.

Here are directions for my fanless PC with pictures
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=177495.msg1867916#msg1867916

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #21 on: 31 Jan 2022, 11:45 am »
After talking to a few friends, I think I am going in a different direction.

I installed Plex over the weekend and it worked quite well.

By using Plex, I will keep a pc out of the HT and either use the Plex app on a device (TV, Xbox, etc...) or via Nvidia Shield.

George

Carlman

« Reply #22 on: 1 Feb 2022, 04:23 pm »
George, you and I are on parallel paths with our systems it seems.
I went through all of these considerations about Bluray players, installing Plex and so on... I'm also upgrading subs, improving bass traps, etc. :)
It all started with a new Yamaha RX A4A receiver.. then it was new surrounds, then re-mounting the rears higher, then new center channel... now I'm going to pickup new subs down in Florida (Rhythmik 15's).. I also re-did bass traps in the front corners with an old Tempurpedic mattress, which is incredibly powerful, btw. 
I have a Yamaha Bluray player now.. bd-s681 - I got a refurbished unit.. well 2, actually.. first wouldn't power back on.  It's so old it has a front display!  Looks and sounds very good to me.  Not 'omg' like the 820 probably is.. but I wanted it as a multi-format player.  Video is as-good-as the Samsung it replaced, maybe better.  I didn't want a 'smart' device as my player.  I have a Roku for that.
I tried using Plex but compressing the audio defeats the purpose of my main goal which was to get as high-rez as possible sound.  I plan to compare using some blu-ray concerts.  But so far I just get sucked into the music/performance when I play them so I can't get into 'analysis mode'.  Maybe I'll never compare it because I just enjoy what I have so much... Plus, converting my DVD's to Plex is a chore I don't enjoy... I think I'm doing it wrong.

In my room, I have 1 big custom 15" sealed sub w/ 1000w amp that Richidoo made for me.  Because of my system configuration/locations, it has been a dedicated HT sub.  One night I was playing Pandora through the Roku.. hearing familiar songs with the sub on.. in surround sound... I was like, whoa!  There's all this new sound I hadn't heard before.. That sub adds a lot I hadn't realized was in the music... and this is on streaming Pandora... Imagine listening to FLAC or WAV on a killer DAC ... with a sub.... or even 2 subs?  It took like 10 minutes before I HAD to have music subs.

The Yamaha DACs are not bad.. and the surround processing is great... I'm loving the 8 year refresh! :)

But... as to Bluray players... First, decide if you want it to do more than play discs, and what format.  For me, I don't see the point in using a player as an application manager.. Nvidia Shield, Roku, or HTPC make way better choices.  I picked Roku.... Even a Playstation or XBOX would be better than using a player.  Once you make that choice, the Panny 820 is the best for the money, unless you want a CD player/transport too, then I think the 9000 is a good choice.  For me, I got a mix of those with the old Yamaha, and compromised a little on video quality.. since I have a 1080P projector.

Another thing to consider is if you always have a monitor on... I don't.  The screen comes down and I use a projector.. so if I have to use a menu, then I gotta turn on all that crap.  Not many people use projectors these days... it seems. 

Man I'm so excited about getting the subs.  Just wanted to participate here today to release a little audio-nerd energy... thanks!
:)

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #23 on: 8 Mar 2022, 08:23 pm »
Another thing to consider is if you always have a monitor on... I don't.  The screen comes down and I use a projector.. so if I have to use a menu, then I gotta turn on all that crap.  Not many people use projectors these days... it seems. 

Man I'm so excited about getting the subs.  Just wanted to participate here today to release a little audio-nerd energy... thanks!
:)

Hi Carl, I have an HDMI cable connected to the Monitor-Out port on my AVR, and just connect that to a spare computer monitor when I'm not watching a movie and need to see a menu system. Not that lowering the screen and turning on the PJ is any more work, but it saves hours on the bulb ;)

Vince in TX

« Reply #24 on: 8 Mar 2022, 09:53 pm »
I'm actually glad this thread popped back up.   It flew under my radar.   I am using all of the above (HTPC, Plex, Panasonic DP-UB9000, NAS storage, front projection).

I didn't realize that Plex also runs on the Panasonic.   I only use it for discs, and I can say with certainty that the audio/visual quality of the 4K discs is unmatched by anything I ran previously over the years (never had an Oppo - mostly Sony or lower-end Panasonic).   Discs soundly beat streaming, so I rarely use my Plex server and am replacing many of my older 1080p discs with 4K.  My Plex library is 90% 1080p anyway, so these are redundant to my Blu-ray library except for the special features (and 3D, which looks amazing on the Sony VW715ES).   I do load the occasional 4K title on the NAS, although I found that the Plex processing built into my NAS (WD MyCloud PR4100) sometimes stutters, so I keep my HTPC around since it has considerably higher processing power.   I use a second generation Apple TV 4K in my theater for Plex and streaming duties.

Good stuff.    :thumb: