New Alnico driver on Nirvana range.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
New Alnico driver on Nirvana range.
« on: 12 Jun 2010, 02:39 am »
Good news, there is a new fullrange 10inches Alnico magnet on Audio Nirbana brand, price is 698 dollars pair. Seems there will be a whole line of Alnico drivers, so let go fast to the real thing >> the 15inches Alnico, the smallers are unimportant.
http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/an10alnicospecs.jpg

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
Re: New Alnico driver on Nirvana range.
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2010, 03:26 am »
it would be fun to do this driver dipole... I need to stop over at David's house and take a listen to them

roscoeiii

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2010, 03:36 am »
HH,

Please do report back with your impressions, pretty exciting.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun 2010, 04:57 pm »
I receive today a Voxativ(AER like, made in Germany) newsletter informing they are on sale this June month with a ''full'' 15% price off.  If anyone think Nirvana prices are hi take a look at Voxativ price list below(in Euros).

Dear Fullrange Driver Friends
In June we do offer all our fullrange drivers with a discount of 15%.
This offer ends at 30th June 2010.
All drivers a new with full warranty and can be delivered directly from the stock.

bryan0101

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jun 2010, 05:06 pm »
Anyone think this would work in winged OB (the folded kind)? Would love to heard the sound of this.

mp9

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jun 2010, 06:38 pm »
Yes, imo a Qts .534 Fs 35 should do well on a winged OB without the need for a helper active LF woofer.
I'm a little put off by the rising HF and it's need for a correction network, i'd ideally like something with a flatter BW. Also iirc, some were reporting issues with other AN drivers "wild" HF spikes and i'm not sure about AN's reputation in general. Nevertheless it's relatively inexpensive and could be promising.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jun 2010, 07:35 pm »
The AN SUPER15-COAX have a better freq.range balance, seems a better choice for a OB panel with a QTS=0,767 VAS=686Litres FS=26Hz and a rated 50W input, not to mention the wonderfull big paper cone/cloth surround.
IF I was shoping for a FR today my purchase would be the Super15-COAX at $498/pair to use as oneway OB(26hz tpp 11Khz) a short table and no Alnico, but all the rest is good, mainly the dipole effect.
Regards

mp9

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jun 2010, 10:48 pm »
I'm not liking the plots of the 15 coax, i'd rather go with a correction network on the 10" alnico and possibly a ribbon or other tweeter x'ed higher up before a coax x-over/metal tweeter. I think the 10" transfer function looks better than the 6 and 8 alnico's plus it's suitable as a standalone OB speaker. If it were available from parts-express which has excellent cs and return policy and short of anything more interesting popping up, i'd be tempted to try a pair.

jhm731

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jun 2010, 11:43 pm »
I'm not liking the plots of the 15 coax, i'd rather go with a correction network on the 10" alnico and possibly a ribbon or other tweeter x'ed higher up before a coax x-over/metal tweeter. I think the 10" transfer function looks better than the 6 and 8 alnico's plus it's suitable as a standalone OB speaker. If it were available from parts-express which has excellent cs and return policy and short of anything more interesting popping up, i'd be tempted to try a pair.

From the AN Website:

"We guarantee your satisfaction. If you are unhappy with your speakers--for any reason--you can return them (in new condition) for a full refund."

I know David is good to his word, I tried the 'Super 8 Alnico'  and returned them for a full refund.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jun 2010, 01:09 am »
From the AN Website:

"We guarantee your satisfaction. If you are unhappy with your speakers--for any reason--you can return them (in new condition) for a full refund."

I know David is good to his word, I tried the 'Super 8 Alnico'  and returned them for a full refund.
Hi,
What are your impressions about the Super8Alnico you have returned??  It was OB or boxed??

The Super15-Coax seems to me the best Freq.Range chart on the Nirvana brand and good Thiele-Small too, a fullrange driver have to be big, big cone is big bass.
Regards, Gustavo

mp9

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jun 2010, 02:24 am »
If you can deal with 88db-89db, the super 6.5 Alnico looks like the best of the bunch with only a ~5, 6db rise starting closer to 4K. The larger drivers are going to be beamy, 6.5" would be better in that regard too. If i were to try any it would be the Alnico version of the 6.5" and 10" drivers, prob. the 10 first for the higher efficiency and solo OB.   

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 14 Jun 2010, 03:26 pm »
Thanks MP9 for your input. What counts is the final result(music) then your first hand experience with the AN worth more than my reading of the specs chart.
Regards, Gustavo

jhm731

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jun 2010, 06:09 pm »
Hi,
What are your impressions about the Super8Alnico you have returned??  It was OB or boxed??

The Super15-Coax seems to me the best Freq.Range chart on the Nirvana brand and good Thiele-Small too, a fullrange driver have to be big, big cone is big bass.
Regards, Gustavo

Tried the ANS8 in an OB and AN's monitor boxes.

Was disappointed with the dynamics and lack of high end in both set ups.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 15 Jun 2010, 01:43 am »
Tried the ANS8 in an OB and AN's monitor boxes.

Was disappointed with the dynamics and lack of high end in both set ups.
Interesting report, indeed nothing substitute good listen before buy.
Thanks, Gustavo

Scottmoose

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jun 2010, 04:27 pm »

It's not a full range driver. A coax is a coaxial 2 way.

I receive today a Voxativ(AER like, made in Germany)

I'd be careful about mentioning AER in the same sentence as Voxativ. You might get a nasty email from Voxativ if you do, as I did a few months back (and which still provides me with much amusement :lol: ).

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 15 Jun 2010, 09:41 pm »
It's not a full range driver. A coax is a coaxial 2 way.

I'd be careful about mentioning AER in the same sentence as Voxativ. You might get a nasty email from Voxativ if you do, as I did a few months back (and which still provides me with much amusement :lol: ).
Thanks for warning me Scott.   I like the Super15-COAX as a oneway FR, cause its freq.range chart is more flat than the Super15-CF.
I do not have interest in the 15-COAX as coaxial two way.  Seems Iam a boring guy...
Regards, Gustavo

Scottmoose

« Reply #16 on: 16 Jun 2010, 08:04 am »
Thanks for warning me Scott.

More a heads up than a warning. As I say, mine still provides me with considerable amusement. I really enjoyed writing a reply to that one. :lol:

I like the Super15-COAX as a oneway FR, cause its freq.range chart is more flat than the Super15-CF. I do not have interest in the 15-COAX as coaxial two way.

It's only good for 11KHz by itself.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #17 on: 18 Jun 2010, 12:54 pm »
For a bit more (currently about $800/pair from Madisound.com), the Fostex F200A has very similar specifications to this 15 inch Nirvana, but without a coaxial driver or even a whizzer cone.  After living with a pair for 6 years I can tell you they are wonderful.  And EnABLing only improves these drivers.