What do you think about the Fostex driver in Von Schweikert Unifield 3?

Dracule1

• Volunteer
Does anyone know which model driver is used?  I remember Albert VonSchweikert saying that midrange driver is the best dynamic driver he has heard.  The standout of that speaker is the midrange IMO.

Scottmoose

FX120. Bridged the gap between the (now defunct) FE127E and the range-topping (of the 4 1/2in sized units) F120a. Judging by the major cuts / revisions to the Fostex range, it's quite probably under a stay of execution, so if you want a pair, get them while you still can.

rjbond3rd

I heard the Unifield 3 at two audio shows (RMAF and LSAF).

At RMAF, it didn't sound that great to me.  But at LSAF, it was set up to perfection and showed tremendous bass, and endless extended treble, and a spectacular stereo effect.  We could feel the bass "blowing" at us and it was attention-grabbing.  I guess it was designed to impress.

However, for me personally, I felt that the midrange was overwhelmed by everything else.  But I can't fault the company or the design, because most people are not that interested in midrange "purity" or "magic."  They want extension and a big stereo effect.

Dracule1

• Volunteer
Scottmoose, the F120a looks very interesting.  Do you know what the cone material is?  Also it has a foam surround that worries me.  Foam is notorious for "rotting" over time much faster than rubber and the like.  Have you compared the sound of the F120a vs. FX120?

Dracule1

• Volunteer
rjbond, I heard the Unifield 3s at the RMAF back in 09.  It was driven by the AudioSpace SET amp.  The midrange was just riveting to me - timbrely pure, detailed, smooth, full of body, and holographic. May be partly due to the SET amp, but it was the most engaging midrange at the show IMO.

rjbond3rd

Hi Dracule1,

Aha!  Okay, nice to know.  I heard them at RMAF with a Class D of some kind (Bel Canto, I think).  At LSAF, they sounded so much better with a Luxman integrated.  At LSAF there was a lot of "air" because they seemed to be set up much better in the room (to me).

Bemopti123

Scottmoose, the F120a looks very interesting.  Do you know what the cone material is?  Also it has a foam surround that worries me.  Foam is notorious for "rotting" over time much faster than rubber and the like.  Have you compared the sound of the F120a vs. FX120?

My F200A's cone material is doped paper, not thin, but very sturdy.  The surround seems to be some sort of polyproplyne. 

Bemopti123

From what I can ascertain, the difference between the FX series and the FA series is that the FAs have alnico magnet which for me makes a robust tone...a tad warm but not overtly warm.  The FX series have higher sensitivity...and the cone material is lighter, entirely different design.  The FA series have much better, heavier construction.

arthurs

Hi Dracule1,

Aha!  Okay, nice to know.  I heard them at RMAF with a Class D of some kind (Bel Canto, I think).  At LSAF, they sounded so much better with a Luxman integrated.  At LSAF there was a lot of "air" because they seemed to be set up much better in the room (to me).

Boy I couldn't agree more.  I had heard them in several setups prior to LSAF and didn't care for them all that much, but the setup and Luxman pairing that Scott did at LSAF sounded fantastic to me as well as everyone that was in the room at the same time I was.

rjbond3rd

Hi arthurs,

It is always nice to learn that others heard the same thing!  Do you think it was the setup, the amp or some subtle combination?

arthurs

Hi arthurs,

It is always nice to learn that others heard the same thing!  Do you think it was the setup, the amp or some subtle combination?

I think (as I do in most cases) it was a combination of those factors coming together to create what we heard.