R5 upgrade question

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
R5 upgrade question
« on: 21 Jul 2004, 04:01 am »
Does the R5 upgrade to the 550exr amp change any of the specs?  Like, more power in to 8 or 4 ohms?  Any further details on what exactly is done in the R5 over the regular 550exr configuration?

BTW, my 550exr is being sent out this week for the upgrade :-)

avahifi

R5 upgrade question
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2004, 12:21 pm »
We are going back six months for a free Rev5 upgrade to the Fet Valve EXR amps (applies to the amps only). Shipping cost $35.00.

Older than that its $200, which is exactly what it costs us (zero profit) plus $35 shipping.

The Rev5 upgrade includes improvements to the regulated power supply board for better regulation as the amp approaches clipping, but more important, major upgrades to the audio circuit boards. The linearity of both the tube and the mos-fet sections of the audio circuit is significantly improved. The amp makes power with a larger selection of tubes too.

Musically, probably a lot more of what people like about SET sound, but with gobs of power and dynamics. Certainly a major step forward in transparency, definition, and range extension, both top and bottom. Its called Rev5 because we went through Revs1-4 privately here in house for months testing and listening to learn what to do for Rev5.

I think you will like it.

Frank Van Alstine

dvb

You've lost me
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2004, 05:34 am »
Ok, so I have a 500ex amp.
My understanding was there was an R upgrade for $349.00?
Now there would also be an REV-5 upgrade to the R upgrade for $200.00?
Does that mean $549 to bring up to current specs?

Afraid I can't find this stuff on the web site (including the link to the price upgrade PDF referred to).

avahifi

R5 upgrade question
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2004, 09:41 pm »
No, the EXR upgrade now includes the Rev5 work too, price $499.00

Frank Van Alstine

avahifi

R5 upgrade question
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2004, 09:44 pm »
No, the EXR upgrade now includes the Rev5 work too, price $499.00

Frank Van Alstine