AVA T-DAC

rickweed

AVA T-DAC
« on: 9 Jun 2004, 03:11 am »
Hello all,

I just received my T-DAC today and have been playing it nonstop ever since.  My impressions, WOW!  This unit simply brings you the music, natural, unadorned, and very realistic.  I trust my ears and when I first auditioned this DAC a while back, I was fairly certain that this was the one for me, but I tried the solid state version and an Arcam unit, which I found detailed, but too warm and too laid back.  I am not qualified to throw out all of the colorful adjectives from the audiophile handbook, but I just want to say that I am impressed and wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of Frank's equipment.  What you get is very true sound at a fair price.  What you don't get is some syrup voiced salesman bending your ear and you don't get the boutique looks with gold plating and thick aluminum face plates, finely polished to a high gloss.  Frank's equipment feels like it could withstand a nuclear blast and the plain black suits my sensibilities, looking somewhat industrial, but attractive to me.  I don't want pieces of art, just good music.  To my moderate income, this is the best bang for the buck.  Some have said the T-DAC is spendy.  Sort of true but really, how much is a good all in one?  I also am not so anal as to quibble too much about cables, quality of the transport, or any of the other vodoo improvements.  Maybe that stuff works, maybe it doesn't, but in my case, I want to spend time listening and not always worrying about constantly upgrading and fine tuning.  Isn't listening what it's about anyway?  Oh I understand the tinkering mentality but it's not for me.  Anyway, these are only my opinions and I am not suggesting that anyone think as I do.  Do what's right for you but please do consider Van Alstine in the process.  He is one of the good guys in this world of opportunists out to make a quick buck.  If you read this, Thanks Frank, for your products and all of your support and direction.

Richard W. Trapp

WEEZ

AVA T-DAC
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2004, 04:02 am »
Hey Rickweed-

Are you using the Toshiba as a transport?- or have you gone a different route? ( I'm jealous ). I'll bet the T-Dac is awesome!

Now you need to add that vinyl source and you're in hi-fi heaven.

Congratulations!!

WEEZ!

rickweed

T-DAC
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2004, 12:54 pm »
Hey Weez,

I am in hog heaven so to speak.  Listening to Chet Baker when he isn't too stoned, nearly brings me to tears.  Very sweet sound.  Loreena Mckinnet is handled quite well too, never seaming screechy, just very hypnotic and oh so pleasant.  Can't wait to hear Norah Jones and Sonny Rollins tonight.  I avoid most of the old rock cd's since so many are poorly recorded and frankly, irritate me to no end with the studio alterations and the "I don't care" attitude in recording.  Frank played part of Paul Simon's Graceland while I was there and I think I may pop for that one.  Anyway, I am more than pleased and Weez, just go for it when you are able.  You will soon forget the cost, like after about 10 seconds of listening.  As you know, Frank lowered the price by a couple hundred bucks recently and I would presume sales tax wouldn't be an issue with you either.

Yes, I am still using the Toshiba as a transport, but will buy another soon because that will now be our dvd player.  I am not picky about dvd playback.  I want to find the simplest cheap unit I can without any bells and whistles.  I suppose Best Buy is a good place to start.  I have a friend who cringes at my attitude and will chastise me for not having soft feet, weights, inner tubes, granite platforms, and a dollar twenty five in changs, placed in just the right place in a perscribed order, halfway off the edge about a third of the way in from the left side.  Smiling.

Rick

dvb

AVA T-DAC
« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2004, 01:32 pm »
You could always go with another Toshiba -- I bought a  3850 as a transport.  Because it can't stay on all the time,  it have become my DVD player, and I've bought a 3860 as a transport.  Works extremely well.  Both, of course, are around $100.00 or less.   Hard to beat.