Cheap and good Power Surge Protector????

Sonny

Cheap and good Power Surge Protector????
« on: 3 Aug 2016, 03:15 pm »
Hi there, looking for a simple and good surge protector.

No need for fancy conditioning, etc.  What are your suggestions?

Tripp Lite?  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000511U7/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Others?

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
Re: Cheap and good Power Surge Protector????
« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2016, 03:53 pm »
I use that model Tripp  lite. I have my doubts as to whether it can do what it says it can do, but it's better than most at a reasonable cost.

Doc

Sonny

« Reply #2 on: 3 Aug 2016, 04:03 pm »
I use that model Tripp  lite. I have my doubts as to whether it can do what it says it can do, but it's better than most at a reasonable cost.

Doc

Thanks Doc.  Wire Cutter likes the Tripp Lite models...anyone else?

T

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 3 Aug 2016, 04:07 pm »
I am interested in that model as well.  I was thinking about a Brick Wall or Surgex but they do not have a replacement warranty that I can see for damaged gear.  I am also looking at Panamax models.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 3 Aug 2016, 04:09 pm »
Definitely go SurgeX, Zero Surge or Brick Wall. They won't wear out or dump energy to ground like MOV based surge protectors. If you want them cheaper get them used, I wouldn't consider any other solution, as it's far inferior to the Zero Surge patented technology.

Sonny

« Reply #5 on: 3 Aug 2016, 04:14 pm »
Definitely go SurgeX, Zero Surge or Brick Wall. They won't wear out or dump energy to ground like MOV based surge protectors. If you want them cheaper get them used, I wouldn't consider any other solution, as it's far inferior to the Zero Surge patented technology.

Thanks but do you have some models you recommend?  I can see using a powerstrip or so plugged into one of these to give more outlets.  That should be fine, no?

T

Bemopti123

« Reply #6 on: 3 Aug 2016, 04:17 pm »
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/power-cables/supra-mains-power-distribution-block-md06-us/

I bought this and it is a well built and reasonably sounding strip that has been bought as a closeout by Madisound it sounds to me.  Heavy duty aluminum with very high grade outlets, as all Supra electrical products.   :thumb:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 3 Aug 2016, 04:51 pm »
Thanks but do you have some models you recommend?  I can see using a powerstrip or so plugged into one of these to give more outlets.  That should be fine, no?

T

I'd avoid MOVs entirely, most powerstrips have them.

Any model would be fine, but I'd go for a 20 amp model with enough outlets for all your components.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #8 on: 3 Aug 2016, 05:51 pm »
Thoughts:
a] The best place for surge protection is the service entrance to the building/main breaker panel.
For point of use protection.
b]  SurgeX, Zero Surge or Brick Wall units are an order of magnitude better than MOV units.
c]  SurgeX, Zero Surge or Brick Wall units are an order of magnitude more expensive than MOV units.
If you go with MOV units.
d]  Tripp lite is an top brand.
e] If you use more than one point of use unit in the audio/video system make sure that all the units are the same brand and model. You want all the units to kick-in at the same spike voltage.

Wayner

« Reply #9 on: 3 Aug 2016, 06:23 pm »

Doc

+1

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 3 Aug 2016, 06:26 pm »
I'd avoid MOVs entirely, most powerstrips have them.

Any model would be fine, but I'd go for a 20 amp model with enough outlets for all your components.
20A models will likely have a 20A male plug.  Thus most are screwed with this. 

15A will be fine for sure.
http://www.zerosurge.com/residential/residential-products/8-outlet-models/

They have 10 outlet models too.

Call Donna and she will take care of you. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #11 on: 3 Aug 2016, 07:03 pm »
20A models will likely have a 20A male plug.  Thus most are screwed with this. 

No matter which model you get you should cut off the molded AC plug, even if it's replaced with the cheapest model you can find at home depot the wire clamps are far better than molded plugs.

I'd go for a used SurgeX over a new Zero Surge though, the SurgeX has other features that are worthwhile imo.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #12 on: 3 Aug 2016, 07:07 pm »
I use the tripp lite isobar ultra,   built like a tank, very basic (in a good way).

I also use and really like the APC G5blk.  It provides some nice features, like a display to check line voltage, tons of indicator leds that can be turned off, and a programmable power on/off sequence for the outlets.  Theres also a ground lug in tge back to help with ground loops i think.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #13 on: 3 Aug 2016, 07:09 pm »

I'd go for a used SurgeX over a new Zero Surge though, the SurgeX has other features that are worthwhile imo.

I'd be hesitant about buying any used surge protector.  You just never know what they've been through.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 3 Aug 2016, 07:11 pm »
No matter which model you get you should cut off the molded AC plug, even if it's replaced with the cheapest model you can find at home depot the wire clamps are far better than molded plugs.
Huh?

Why?  What is that going to do for you? 

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #15 on: 3 Aug 2016, 07:28 pm »
Huh?
If it's not broke don't fix it.
It's trickier to replace a heavy cord plug, than some realize.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 3 Aug 2016, 07:29 pm »
If it's not broke don't fix it.
It's trickier to replace a heavy cord plug, than some realize.
Yeah, I never said to replace it...

Wayner

« Reply #17 on: 3 Aug 2016, 08:40 pm »

That would null it's UL listing.

Wayner

« Reply #18 on: 3 Aug 2016, 08:40 pm »
I use the tripp lite isobar ultra,   built like a tank, very basic (in a good way).

I also use and really like the APC G5blk.  It provides some nice features, like a display to check line voltage, tons of indicator leds that can be turned off, and a programmable power on/off sequence for the outlets.  Theres also a ground lug in tge back to help with ground loops i think.

Again, +1

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #19 on: 3 Aug 2016, 08:45 pm »
Huh?

Plugs with wire clamps are always an improvement over molded plugs, Shunyata tested this with their dynamic transient current test...  Also, few folks have 20A receptacles for the 20A plugs. Installing a decent plug will definitely make for an overall improvement in sound.

SS, Replacing a plug is very easy, I'm sure Sonny can handle it ;)

rif, I'd never say to get a used MOV based surge protector but the Zero Surge module is different and even if the caps are worn it still works with slightly more let through voltage. The 3 electrolytic caps used in the surge module are easily replaced. I'd still take a 20 year old Zero Surge over any MOV based unit.

Wayner, no it does not. I know a lot about UL requirements and the fact is every hardware store sells replacement plugs. Using them does not invalidate the UL listing of any device you replace a plug on.