Lumina L2 Speaker

knodrog

Lumina L2 Speaker
« on: 10 Oct 2018, 07:43 pm »
Hi, my name is Gordon Kennedy or knodrog. I am new to Audio Circle. I just heard a speaker that completely blew my mind. Spatial Audio's Lumina L2. I've been coming to the RMAF for about 15 years. I have heard many great speaker systems. But I never heard a system that sounded so natural to my ear that it didn't sound like a speaker at all. Vinnie Rossi's wonderful amplification and Anti Cable's cables and interconnects rounded out the system. With the Lumina L2's there was no "wow" factor that I commonly hear when a certain aspect of a system presents itself as it prick's up my ears. With the Lumina L2's I finally heard the ultimate "wow". And that would be the "wow" of no "wow"!! Yes IMO I couldn't hear drivers or crossovers. Just natural non reproduced sounding music. My mind could completely relax without having to do that assemblage trick of "working" to believe I was hearing live, naturally produced music. Not with the Lumina L2's. I looked over at my friend. His eyes widened. Later he confessed that he had the same feeling about this wonderful system.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Lumina L2 Speaker
« Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2018, 09:44 pm »
Welcome aboard Gordon :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2018, 09:53 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Gordon   :thumb:

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2018, 10:55 pm »
Welcome to AC, knodrog!

Thank you for visiting our room and we're all glad that you and your friend enjoyed it!

I was very excited on Thursday night after Clayton and I dialed-in the system because I knew it was going to impress with its naturalness and ease of presenting the music, and also ROCK when called to do so!  (Those dual 12" servo bass drivers produce one-of-a-kind bass that is super tight and they can kick hard!)

Hope to see you at a future show!

Vinnie

knodrog

« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2018, 11:38 pm »
Thanks Vinnie,

And Your Wonderful amplification! Clayton wants to retro fit, if he can, the upgraded tweeter for my Luminas. I love the sound that I get using my Air Tight 211 monoblocks with the coaxial driver. But i can't help but think there is a special synergy happening with your amplification. Would you say more about your amps if you have a bead on why they work so wonderfully with the Lumina L2's

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2018, 11:52 pm »
Welcome!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #6 on: 11 Oct 2018, 02:22 am »
But i can't help but think there is a special synergy happening with your amplification. Would you say more about your amps if you have a bead on why they work so wonderfully with the Lumina L2's

Hi knodrog,

I would say that the L2 Signature Preamplifier (and Clayton was using the stock EH 300B Gold Grid tubes in it) with L2 Dac had the most influence over the sound (in terms of the electronics).  The L2 Dac in the preamp was running in non-oversampling mode, has a top-notch reclocking circuit, dual mono, Class A discrete output stages, and a whole lot of other tricks that make it a killer source (fed from an Innuos music server).

The L2 Preamp contains a unique circuit that truly sounds like no other (and with better quality DHT tubes, it gets even better)!  You are hearing the Directly Heated Triode (DHT) tubes do their thing, without being taxed by an output transformer or the load of a speaker (which is a significant load compared to driving the input of an amplifier).  Class A, No feedback, and a very easy load to drive... so you are hearing the DHTs in all their glory!  And it is a very low-noise circuit (incredibly low noise for a DHT Preamp).

The L2 Signature Monoblocks deliver lots of clean, high-current power... more on tap than I'm guessing the Luminas ever needed since their bass drivers are self-powered.  It's MOSFET circuit is very high bandwidth and by far my best sounding amplifier to date.  Highly resolving, fast, musical - with only one pair of MOSFETs on the output.  The amplifier board itself is very small, with low parts sound, short signal paths, and fed from very "good iron" (an excellent, custom-made transformer).  8)

So I believe, simply stated, you just liked the sound of the L2 components (dac +preamp, and monos) driving the Luminas.  There is no other special reason why it all worked so well other than this, since you are already familiar with the speakers. 

One other factor (also a significant one) was the room itself, but that hotel demo room was nothing special (nearly a square, not treated and somewhat 'splashy'), but like all rooms, it contributed to the sound... for better or worse.  Luckily Clayton's OB designs (dipole) do not suffer in squarish rooms to the extent that most box speaker do, and the active bass amps have adjustments that allow you a lot of flexibility. 

If you have more questions about the L2 components, feel free to ask on my forum.

If you have more questions about the Lumina L2 speakers, feel free to ask on Claytons forum.

And all cabling was by Paul Speltz' Anticables, which is no doubt solid stuff!

And thanks again for listening and posting your impressions!

Cheers,

Vinnie

gnitta

« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2018, 03:58 pm »
Agree with Gordon.  The Spatial Luminas sounded very natural, clear and present.  The overall synergy of the system was very impressive.

2bigears

« Reply #8 on: 12 Oct 2018, 04:49 pm »
 :D what was this system cost again ?  75 grand ?  :D
      You would think it would sound ok ?

FireGuy

« Reply #9 on: 12 Oct 2018, 05:08 pm »
:D what was this system cost again ?  75 grand ?  :D
      You would think it would sound ok ?

This point is always worth a mention.  I would love to hear this system and have the opportunity to seriously consider a purchase.  As I've stated before... it's easier to build cost-no-object gear than to engineer and build moderate and below systems that sound waaaay beyond their price point.  Congrats to the Lumina L2.

2bigears

« Reply #10 on: 12 Oct 2018, 05:50 pm »
 :D good parts and well built.  You make more money on a Cadillac ,,,, :D
         What are the actual numbers on how many people could afford a system as this ?
      Most can do a 700 dollar emergency,,
   But you are right FireGuy,, :D