Did anything surprise you at RMAF?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: Did anything surprise you at RMAF?
« Reply #20 on: 17 Oct 2010, 11:55 pm »
CANJAM

The planar dynamic headphones from Audez'e Sounded very good to me running form the headroom portable amp. 

Kinda like a pair of Maggies on your head!  :thumb:

sumadoggie

« Reply #21 on: 18 Oct 2010, 02:14 am »
Thanks for all the great comments about 'the clue' from Sjofn HiFi.  Though it was fairly slow all around the show on Sunday afternoon, while other rooms were closing up shop, we had a full house and didn't get to tear down until about 4:45.  Love it!!!

Cheers!

And about the Majico, I didn't get to go listen to it, but I did get to Coincident Speaker's room and Israel Blume was rocking the nuts off the Mariott with his new reference speakers.  I did hear from a few folks that his set-up put the Majico to shame...

sunnydaze

« Reply #22 on: 18 Oct 2010, 02:39 am »

And about the Majico, I didn't get to go listen to it, but I did get to Coincident Speaker's room and Israel Blume was rocking the nuts off the Mariott with his new reference speakers.  I did hear from a few folks that his set-up put the Majico to shame...

Over the years, I have owned several Coincident models.  They always rock, and they usually beat the higher priced competition.      :thumb:

santacore

« Reply #23 on: 18 Oct 2010, 02:54 am »
CANJAM

The planar dynamic headphones from Audez'e Sounded very good to me running form the headroom portable amp. 

Kinda like a pair of Maggies on your head! 

I've had a pair for a few months now and love them. They make it hard to go back to my HD800's. Great sounding headphones that almost make me forget my speaker rig.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #24 on: 18 Oct 2010, 03:29 am »
I own the LCD-2s (my favorite headphones!) and Alex and Shankar of Audeze rule and it was great to pair up with them - and looking forward to the NY Headfi Meet next month.  Love shows and meets that I can drive to instead of fly to  :wink:

Vinnie

Pez

« Reply #25 on: 18 Oct 2010, 05:39 am »
Honestly it's hard to "shock" me at these shows. There is rarely an occasion for such a strong feeling when expectations are all over the place. I will say that IMO the most amazing turn around from last year was the Dynaudio room. Last year it was the worst sounding system and this year it is contending for top position a phenominal setup with both intrigue (can you say Mono Dacs?) and real performance.

mgalusha

« Reply #26 on: 19 Oct 2010, 03:16 pm »
I really liked the little Clue speakers, pretty amazing bass for such a little speaker. If they would have worked away from the wall I likely would be getting a pair for the living room. They also had some nice Kentucky Bourbon, which I very much enjoyed.

My biggest surprise was the massive powered speakers from Precision Transducer Engineering. Their statement speaker is a 400lb air moving monster. 18" driver for the low bass, a 15" Tannoy covering 90 to 1000Hz with a coaxially mounted TAD 2001 compression driver covering the highs. They are self powered and if I remember correctly 400W on the 18, 250W or so on the Tannoy and maybe 200 for the TAD. Bryan Pape said I had to hear these, the most physical listening experience he'd ever had. He wasn't kidding, they dropped the needle on the Sheffield Drum record at basically live volume and it was dynamics like a real drum kit played hard. My Abbeys can move quite a bit of air and are very dynamic but the PTE Statements made them seem like toys in that department. Might be the only hifi speakers I've heard that could actually deliver the energy of a live band. Not the smoothest I've ever heard but man could they rock.

mike

tvyankee

« Reply #27 on: 19 Oct 2010, 03:24 pm »
hey

wish i could have made it this year but work got in the way.

anyway did anyone hear the Lenehan Audio speakers(MR1's) there?  i thought i read somewhere that they were at the show?

thanks

doctorcilantro

« Reply #28 on: 19 Oct 2010, 03:51 pm »
No mention of the TTWeights turntables anywhere.

groovybassist

« Reply #29 on: 19 Oct 2010, 03:53 pm »
Lenehan had their ML1s at last year's show, but I don't think they were there this year.  I've previously owned a pair of ML1s.  Now use Harbeth Compact 7s.

tvyankee

« Reply #30 on: 19 Oct 2010, 04:00 pm »
thanks,

does that mean you just wanted change or you think harbeth are better?

thanks

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #31 on: 19 Oct 2010, 04:02 pm »
ASC flooded the show with their tube traps.  That was a surprise for me.  Good for them. :thumb:

TONEPUB

« Reply #32 on: 19 Oct 2010, 04:24 pm »
How busy it was on Sunday this year.  Seemed that the traffic really stayed constant all the way through to the end.  I thought that was a good sign....

Also thought that the overall sound in the rooms was better this year as well.

Not drinking the Magico cool aid either, but I know a lot of people like them.  I think the speaker that really grabbed me at the show were the Estelon speakers

http://www.estelon.com/

Overall, I think the show quality was up a few notches.  Excellent job by all.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: 19 Oct 2010, 04:26 pm »
Not surprsed anymore at the typical snake oil that goes with the territory...

groovybassist

« Reply #34 on: 19 Oct 2010, 04:29 pm »
For some reason I always lusted for the Harbeth's.  A chance came around to scoop them up at a great price, and I was smitten.  The Lenehan's are fine speakers, especially for their size - particularly good in a small-medium room.  The Harbeth's are speakers you settle in with for the long haul.  My wife pays little/no attention to what I buy/don't buy in the audio realm - as soon as I hooked the Harbeth's up, she mentioned how good she thought they sounded.  Mind you, she has never said a word about our audio gear, but did so unprompted when she heard the Harbeth's.  I just got back from RMAF and while I heard some cool stuff, I don't feel any compulsion to change the Harbeth's.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #35 on: 19 Oct 2010, 04:32 pm »
I think the speaker that really grabbed me at the show were the Estelon speakers

http://www.estelon.com/

Oooh.  Does this mean the CLX's are halfway out the door?   :green:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #36 on: 19 Oct 2010, 04:42 pm »
No mention of the TTWeights turntables anywhere

I spent some time speaking with Chris outside quite a few tmes. Very nice guy by the way. I finally made it to his room and must say that the <$5,000 table sounded exceptional and looks like it should cost $10k+.

TONEPUB

« Reply #37 on: 19 Oct 2010, 05:40 pm »
Oooh.  Does this mean the CLX's are halfway out the door?   :green:

If you read the latest issue, you'll see that my new reference after three happy years with the CLX's is the GamuT S-9.

The CLX is one of the best speakers I've had the pleasure of listening to at any price, however because of their size and slight tube amp unfriendliness, they are tough to use as a reference speaker to audition everything I need to.  If I didn't review gear every day with such a wide variety of amplification, I could live with them happily ever after.

The Estelons will make for a great review (We're getting them straight from RMAF and will have the world's first review)...

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #38 on: 19 Oct 2010, 06:26 pm »
I really liked the little Clue speakers, pretty amazing bass for such a little speaker. If they would have worked away from the wall I likely would be getting a pair for the living room. They also had some nice Kentucky Bourbon, which I very much enjoyed.

My biggest surprise was the massive powered speakers from Precision Transducer Engineering. Their statement speaker is a 400lb air moving monster. 18" driver for the low bass, a 15" Tannoy covering 90 to 1000Hz with a coaxially mounted TAD 2001 compression driver covering the highs. They are self powered and if I remember correctly 400W on the 18, 250W or so on the Tannoy and maybe 200 for the TAD. Bryan Pape said I had to hear these, the most physical listening experience he'd ever had. He wasn't kidding, they dropped the needle on the Sheffield Drum record at basically live volume and it was dynamics like a real drum kit played hard. My Abbeys can move quite a bit of air and are very dynamic but the PTE Statements made them seem like toys in that department. Might be the only hifi speakers I've heard that could actually deliver the energy of a live band. Not the smoothest I've ever heard but man could they rock.

mike

Cool stuff. See link here. I would love to see the measurements on this behemoth of a loudspeaker! Boy, they really look like they can move some air!

Anand.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #39 on: 19 Oct 2010, 06:29 pm »
I was impressed enough to sit and listen to these for a few minutes at $999/pair.  Had a passive on the back and they rocked.

BOW-3
Exotic real wood veneer, beautiful knotty pattern requires painstaking hand finishing process, this sweet sounding 2-way speaker is ideal bookshelf speakers for your home office and den. Limited stock.  Call us!
$999 pair

Cabinet Finish:
Power Handling:
Frequency Response:
Crossover:
Woofer:
Midrange:
Tweeter:
Sensitivity:
Impedance:
Dimensions:
Real Wood Veneer